Did Britney Spears surpass Madonna as the greatest female pop star of all time?

On 3/14/2020 at 7:41 AM, Spicechinodiva said:

I dont think people realized. Some of the stuff Madonna went thru because her art. Many of these artists including britney wouldn't survive or come out unscathed

If Britney could have survived 2007, she wouldnt have been able to survive Madonnas media scrutiny? :umsaywhat:

• Haha 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 10:56 PM, AGUILEGEND IS A QUEEN said:

No one here is claiming or stating that Britney is the queen of pop. That honorific title will and always go to Madonna. It’s not to be disputed.

Again — some of y’all really seem to be having a hard time grasping what I’m trying to say so I’m not even going to bother repeating myself because I’m sounding like a broken record at this point.
That being said, I think you’re not giving Britney the credit she deserves and for you to say the trajectory of her career was similar to The Spice Girls is quite insulting. Yes, Britney’s peak may have been somewhat short-lived (mostly because she burned out by the fire she lit) but she was the main forefront of pop music, for good or for bad, for nearly 10 years until Britney, herself, couldn’t even keep up. Her brand and name was ingrained in pop culture. Her brand essentially became a commodity. She broke countless of records that didn’t even exist before she was 21. Even Madonna was astonished at her work ethic and how such a young girl was able to have the world wrapped around her finger. 

Britney’s story is the epitome of a 21st century rags-to-riches price of fame that the entire world analyzed and obsessed over. People lived vicariously through her and what should not be done to the brand of a celebrity. Arguably the most important female pop star of all time, if you ask me.

'always go to' -  there is not an 'always' for humans

On 3/12/2020 at 10:52 PM, AGUILEGEND IS A QUEEN said:

I wasn’t alive during Madonna’s prime in the 80s and early 90s, nor do I remember much of her early eras up until COADF, but for those who know their pop culture history and/or witnessed both of their peaks, who was bigger? 

Just looking at the stats — Britney garners in more monthly listeners on Spotify and songs/videos (pre-VEVO/YouTube) like BOMT, Toxic and Womanizer have more views than any Madonna song/video. Sad to say but I feel like a lot of Madonna’s legacy has either been swept under the rug and/or didn’t really stand the test of time. I feel like even Mariah, who was considered more local, is more remembered nowadays than Madge.

However one thing I believe — no other female artist since Britney’s debut had the explosion, universal appeal, long-term worldwide effect and controversy on not only music but pop culture the way she did, so that leaves me thinking — is she the greatest female pop star of all time? If not, then who? :byetina:

britney-madonna-surpass.jpg

The GP views Madonna as queen.Her 300 Million records sold worldwide and longevity puts her ahead of all female artists.Britney is seen by half the GP as a 90s/00s messy has-been but by the other half she is indeed a pop legend.I love Madonna, however Britney is my queen and that's all that matters to me at the end of the day and your opinion should be all that matters to you.To each their own❤❤.

• Like 1

No, she hasn't. What people of my generation forget was that Madonna was the first female artist to sell as much as a man, or one of the few first female artists to sell as much as a man! Her Like A Virgin album was the first album, by a female artist, to sell 5, or 6 million copies, back in 1985. And now has sold 10 million copies (in the USA). She wasn't the first female artist ever, but she was the first to have such a HUGE impact, like a comet hitting a planet.

She was/is basically the female Elvis. Like how other guys would imitate and try to be like Elvis and dress like him, the same thing happened with Madonna. She was unstoppable from 1984/1985 to 1991/1992. It's hard to know when Madonna was at her peak, or hey day, because I wasn't old enough, or around, in the 1980's (at least until 1988). I think had I grown up in the 1980's, I would have liked Madonna and bought all her albums. I would have secretly dressed like her too, as a gay boy, myself. :evilpatrick:

I love me some Britney, and Brit's 'hey day' was 1999 to 2004, but I believe she's happy with the title, The Princess of Pop. But Madonna will always be known as the first Queen of Pop.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 3/12/2020 at 11:37 PM, nthenwkiss said:

Her peak was too short, Madonna has been around successfully for longer. That said I can’t stand Madonna, bye.

Madonna's Career is definitely over. But not Britney's. She still Have 10-15 years to go. GIven how creative britney is, I am sure we can expect 3-4 hit albums

• Love 1
  • Like 1
On 3/13/2020 at 12:37 AM, nthenwkiss said:

Her peak was too short, Madonna has been around successfully for longer. That said I can’t stand Madonna, bye.

I think Britney peak as 1998-2013 is that ok? I mean Circus and female Fatale were successful. Then S&S and the Iconic Work *****.

but Madonna has had better eras and albums overall. Not songs I love Britney’s signature songs way more than madonnas. 

about impact I think Britney’s was a phenomenon globally. Madonna didn’t make it like that in any moment of her career. Madonna career is biased over her legacy and the years she managed to be know by people. Britney now needs that. But Idk if she wants that as Madonna did. 

• Love 1
On 9/1/2020 at 9:42 PM, brit4u1998 said:

No, she hasn't. What people of my generation forget was that Madonna was the first female artist to sell as much as a man, or one of the few first female artists to sell as much as a man! Her Like A Virgin album was the first album, by a female artist, to sell 5, or 6 million copies, back in 1985. And now has sold 10 million copies (in the USA). She wasn't the first female artist ever, but she was the first to have such a HUGE impact, like a comet hitting a planet.

She was/is basically the female Elvis. Like how other guys would imitate and try to be like Elvis and dress like him, the same thing happened with Madonna. She was unstoppable from 1984/1985 to 1991/1992. It's hard to know when Madonna was at her peak, or hey day, because I wasn't old enough, or around, in the 1980's (at least until 1988). I think had I grown up in the 1980's, I would have liked Madonna and bought all her albums. I would have secretly dressed like her too, as a gay boy, myself. :evilpatrick:

I love me some Britney, and Brit's 'hey day' was 1999 to 2004, but I believe she's happy with the title, The Princess of Pop. But Madonna will always be known as the first Queen of Pop.

Lmao. Nowadays nobody wants to dress like Madonna. But people wants to dress like Britney.

and if they did want to be like Madonna  back then they only dressed as her because it was “cool” only for that 

about the sales yes. she made it big to a female artist to sell. Then a lot of female artist in the pop genre made it. 

6 hours ago, Sourab Patodi said:

Madonna's Career is definitely over. But not Britney's. She still Have 10-15 years to go. GIven how creative britney is, I am sure we can expect 3-4 hit albums

yes, britney could still have 10ish years to go but madonna debuted 15ish years before britney so their timelines of "relevancy" are proportionate.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Not the Avril emote screechang giphy.webp

Ah yes, back to when you werent a fad giphy.webp

Sweetie I do the BARE minimum on exhale these days and yet, I’m still the IT girl. wouldn’t get too brave calling me a fad, especially for someone who’s last recent threads have failed to even scan gold giphy.webp

34 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

An iconic thread giphy.webp

the Karen’s were fuming giphy.webp

17 minutes ago, Goten21 said:

:neydedance_purple: i thought this was a troll thread where OP was expecting Britney to get lynched but then y’all really went in w the delusion

It’s true it’s true giphy.webp

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, GODNEY IS A QUEEN said:

Sweetie I do the BARE minimum on exhale these days and yet, I’m still the IT girl. wouldn’t get too brave calling me a fad, especially for someone who’s last recent threads have failed to even scan gold giphy.webp

"IT girl" my foot, your not even ONE of the reigning queens of exhale let alone the "IT gurl" right now, your era has passed fad giphy.webp And not you calling my last few threads a flop when my last one got featured unlike your threads giphy.webp

1 hour ago, GODNEY IS A QUEEN said:

the Karen’s were fuming giphy.webp

Truly your Matches moment giphy.webp

Madonna will always be the Queen and Britney will always be the Princess. Madonna's impact and success was far bigger than Britney's. She did more for pop music and really changed women's ***uality and controversy in pop music. Britney has been more relevant and Madonna's music/videos/performances have been going downhill for a while now but she's like in her 60s.

But overall, Madonna's a real artist. She writes and produces her songs, plays instruments, sings live (often, not 100% for sure), directs and edits videos and tour DVDs, etc etc. She's way more involved with her career than Britney ever was. She deserves respect.

• Like 1