Did Britney Spears surpass Madonna as the greatest female pop star of all time?

4 hours ago, Million Billion said:

The kiss benefited more to Britney than to Madonna. 

Then she had the Confessions era, then she had the best selling tour, then she had a top touring award in 2012. Shes been consistent and have kept tight work ethic.

Sis, what are you talking about? If anything the kiss damaged Britney, I even remember Mtv showing some fans and parents breaking her CDs because they were "dissapointed" on that performance, the gp saying she was not the Britney people loved, etc etc. Also, look at MATM, it flopped hard. I bet without Madonna it would have charted way better. So, I think that statement is invalid. :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

Unless you're talking about Britney the celebrity and not the popstar. Wich is still bad for her since she's a singer, not a socialite. 

But the rest is facts though. :nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:

59 minutes ago, tommy_boy said:

Sis, what are you talking about? If anything the kiss damaged Britney, I even remember Mtv showing some fans and parents breaking her CDs because they were "dissapointed" on that performance, the gp saying she was not the Britney people loved, etc etc. Also, look at MATM, it flopped hard. I bet without Madonna it would have charted way better. So, I think that statement is invalid. :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

Unless you're talking about Britney the celebrity and not the popstar. Wich is still bad for her since she's a singer, not a socialite. 

But the rest is facts though. :nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:

Itz debuted at #1 making her the 1st artist to ever have 4 consecutive #1 albums. She received her Walk of Fame star makig her the youngest artist to ever get one, still to date. Attention is attention, in any way it comes. 

MATM kinda flopped in the US, it gave Britney an Billboard award tho for best dance song (cant remember the exact category) but for the rest of the world, it was an average hit world wide. It didnt flop hard as you claim.

About Madonna's addition to the song, yeah, I kinda give you that point, Im not sure if it would have charted higher but having Madonna in it didnt make much difference, the song still sounds the same with or without her. 

• Like 1

How this thread has come to live, I love to see now being an Asian I will tell you this very nicely Madonna is the queen of pop, absolutely no doubt her legacy is much more than her music none of the pop stars like Britney would've existed if it wasn't for Madonna now I am not a huge fan of her but saying she didn't had a legendary career is something delusional my aunt used to be a big fan of hers and still is. 

Now, Britney I want to understand how on earth some people are comparing her from Rihanna or Beyonce? Some fans alone really underestimate the global power Britney holds, RiRi is successful no doubt but in Asia she was never seen as the main pop girl and sorry Beyonce is absolutely quite irrelevant is Asian countries - she's successful and have a good career but she never really had any peaks apart from single ladies nobody here knows any of her songs. 

Britney's peak was huge but I don't understand what longevity you guys are talking about, so what Britney has a peak and it was short lived? She remains a legend and has more hits which are still played, Britney has her own share of struggles but Britney is highly global and anyone who knows Madonna knows Britney I am not here to say Madonna isn't famous or not impactful but Britney in around 10 years will be seen as the 'next Madonna', Britney single handedly made teen pop back again, she dances, she sings what else you are looking for? 

Her costumes still wore around Halloween she has made a very huge impact onto the pop culture, people see her as a humble person who is a legend. 

• Love 1

Also to add, her las vegas residency changed the landscape now even Shania Twain is heading there and cited Britney as her inspiration to do this. I feel as a fanbase you guys undermine Britney's legacy - Britney is much more than a pop star, people love her, people listen to her music despite having no hits in the streaming era she has close to 6b streams on spotify and only 0.5 million are featured ones. 

Also to add, Britney cannot be compared to Taylor Swift or Ariana Grande I am sorry I love both of these women but none of them have such iconic moments in pop history then Britney neither any of them are more known than Britney when you see outside the fan base people know Britney have seen some of her iconic performances she cannot be even compared to the new pop stars she might not be relevant among the teens but so is Madonna, Britney carried pop music for 10 years straight and now more relevant because of freebritney movement GP is supporting her like crazy, Madonna is definitely her own league but Britney is no less and please do not even compare her to Beyonce and all none of them is as global as Britney I do not understand this longevity thing  so what Britney doesn't have the longevity like Taylor or Beyonce? None of them has enjoyed the Britney mania like Britney created - Taylor surpassing and becoming the greatest pop star :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: the delusional is real. 

Britney is miles ahead from her peers and her younger generation, even the younger GP knows oops, baby, lucky, gimme more, TTWE etc kindly do not disrespect Britney to Taylor or Ariana. 

• Love 1

Actually I think that yes, Britney’s catalog is more relevant/well known/celebrated and BETTER than Madonna’s. Britney’s sound is still current, probably will always be, in comparison Madonna’s albums even though they are iconic they sound dated and of their time.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Okay? :imacat_cat_hiss_meme_white_kitty_mad: Isn't that because Britney debuted a whole DECADE after Madonna?? She is more relevant with this generation due to her Circus and Femme Fatale eras with some of her early 00's hits in the bag as well. What Britney is to Gen Z is what Madonna was to millennials. Your post doesn't make sense one bit :britdrown_britney_tears_crying_drown_ink_black:

OT: No.

Sure, Britney debut later. Let me also add, then - Britney is more relevant today than Madonna was 10 years ago.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
On 3/12/2020 at 11:18 PM, Roxxy said:

Britney only shaped her generation and the next one - and she even has competition because some are citing Xtina as their influence as well (Hi Demi!). But her peak has been short lived and not enough or atleast not as impactful as Madonna. Had she continued her reign a little longer as I previously discussed in another thread, she could've atleast matched Madonna and would've been in the same league as Beyoncé (or Rihanna) by now. It's one of the most painful realizations for us Britney fans. She hit her peak but not her full potential as an icon and as a beacon for pop culture. :ehum:

wow I never thought of it like that. I forget how short lived her reign was compared to other artists. It was just so impactful that it feels longer. To think that it could have been longer :blast_explosion_skeleton_skull_fire_flames_boom: Am I delusional if I say its never too late? She's still young and can definitely continue her career if she chooses to. 

• Like 2