Did Britney Spears surpass Madonna as the greatest female pop star of all time?

Very interesting question.

I think Madonna has been the queen of pop music for decades but at the end of the day that's about it. I have a HUGE respect for her carreer, don't get me wrong, but in the other hand Britney, alongside her carreer hits after hits, has become way more than a famous singer.

From the very begining when she basicly was an allegory of the lolita concept (seductive overly ***ualised virgin teen) to being a representation of a scandalous rebelious youth ( Las Vegas surprise wedding + shaving her head etc...) to being the face of the whole "paparazzi-superstar-VIP-smoked glasses" trends of our time period and now the FreeBritney movement that can be perceived as an extension of the Metoo movement Britney has become an icon that I personally think Madonna has never became at the end of the day.

Britney can be called an historical figure at this point as she represents so much of our time and what our societies have been for the past 20+ years.

• Love 4
  • Like 3

I don't think so, she was expected to though, and should've been much more popular than Beyoncé nowadays (they started their careers at the same time, and up until 2013 Beyoncé was nowhere near Britney's legacy)

Still, kinda crazy how the entire gen-Z (including me) knows about Britney even though she has kinda vanished since 2013 :inbed_ahs_hotel_sarah_paulson_grin_smirk_cackle_bed_reading_phone:

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, conceptuel said:

I don't think so, she was expected to though, and should've been much more popular than Beyoncé nowadays (they started their careers at the same time, and up until 2013 Beyoncé was nowhere near Britney's legacy)

Still, kinda crazy how the entire gen-Z (including me) knows about Britney even though she has kinda vanished since 2013 :inbed_ahs_hotel_sarah_paulson_grin_smirk_cackle_bed_reading_phone:

I agree, I'm gen Z too, but from Europe and Beyonce is almost non-existent here. We know her, of course, but rarely listen to her and almost no fanbase of her over here. On the other hand Britney is a constant topic through the years, literally since kindergarden, to middle school, highschool and now I'm going to college but we still listen to her music at parties and talk about her situation and praise the denim outfit and the snake. 

So I kind if agree, but I guess things are different worldwide than in the US. Britney has legend status here, although there's a certain amount of people who think of her as the crazy girl still

• Love 3
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, PickleSpears said:

Madonna will always be the Queen and Britney will always be the Princess. Madonna's impact and success was far bigger than Britney's. She did more for pop music and really changed women's ***uality and controversy in pop music. Britney has been more relevant and Madonna's music/videos/performances have been going downhill for a while now but she's like in her 60s.

But overall, Madonna's a real artist. She writes and produces her songs, plays instruments, sings live (often, not 100% for sure), directs and edits videos and tour DVDs, etc etc. She's way more involved with her career than Britney ever was. She deserves respect.

Watch Framing Britney Spears. Britney was always involved in her career. Also, its inevitable that Britney will make a huge come back soon. Also, there is a lot about Britney that we all dont know. She have a lot more to sell in terms of music, documentary, videos, and merchandising as compare to Madonna. 

By no means I am shading Madonna, but Britney will be far memorable ...

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Sourab Patodi said:

Watch Framing Britney Spears. Britney was always involved in her career. Also, its inevitable that Britney will make a huge come back soon. Also, there is a lot about Britney that we all dont know. She have a lot more to sell in terms of music, documentary, videos, and merchandising as compare to Madonna. 

By no means I am shading Madonna, but Britney will be far memorable ...

Britney's more memorable to our generation bc we grew up with her but Madonna is the same for previous generations. Just like the next generation doesn't really care about Britney the way they care about Ariana Grande and Taylor Swift, etc.

But yeah Britney was involved in her career but never to the extent of Madonna. Madonna co-wrote or singularly wrote almost all of her music from the very beginning. She had things to say and wasn't afraid to say them. Without Madonna there would be no Britney Spears which says a lot about her impact.

I love both artists and Britney has always been my #1 (Madonna is like my #4 behind Kylie and Janet) but you can't argue these facts. Plus look at Madonna's record sales, chart positions, and tour sales.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 3/12/2020 at 11:57 PM, Roxxy said:

Well I guess you think that because you're born far later. But I guess it's a universally accepted statement if I say Like a Prayer, Like a VirginMaterial Girl, and Vogue are songs that are far more embedded in our society - more than all of Britney's iconic singles. Like a Prayer alone trumps BOMT, hands down. BOMT is only regarded as the best pop song of our generation and/or this century (21st). But LAP is regarded as an all time great. And I am saying this with a lot of love for Britney and as an OG 1998 stan which is difficult to get not everybody has that. I won't argue because it's hard to explain when you've not lived for both Madonna's and Britney's careers. Also, Madonna has had 3 peaks. Britney only has 2. Britney's second peak is barely a peak but only a resurgence. Madonna is on her 14th studio album. Longevity. Britney is barely on her 10th and is losing relevance. Madonna has had a top 10 during her 11th studio album. Britney hasn't had a top 10 since her 7th studio album and is already losing relevance.

It's just really not. Hehe. :ehum:

Britney is not even 40! I think your comment is relevant as Madonna might have an impact on you more. But Britney is getting relevant again and she will have a bigger 3rd peak, my guess even bigger than first one. 

Madonna’s most actions in 2010, and 2020 are desperate attempts to seek attention, whether it’s kissing drake or something. On the other hand Britney being in conservatorship changed Vegas. I don’t know why people undermine her influence in changing Vegas culture. Additionally, Britney has a lot to say, people what to know her story..which give her another chance of making a huge comeback..my guess is she will release at least 4-5 more albums, 2-3 documentaries, one super bowl performance, 3-4 more tours…then it will be easy to compare overall…

• Like 3

No and Lady Gaga hasn’t surpassed Madonna either :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw: I don’t think anyone will surpass Madonna now because media is much more fractured and individualized. The whole country (I’m from US) isn’t listening to the same 25 songs the way they did in the 80s so stars like MJ and Madonna were much bigger than singers now. At least that’s how it feels as a 90s kid :raven_thats_so_simone_talking_telling_preaching:

Hell no, why would you ask something like that, omg. Anyways, Madonna's impact is beyond music. Politics, religion and culture. Shes made statement after statement her entire career. 

Not downplaying Britney's work but her legacy compared to Madonna's is quite short. The next pop phenomenon I think of after Madonna is definitely Britney. Both had a massive impact but Britney's career has been stumbling after her 4th album, mainly thanks to that stupid c-ship. Had she continued growing as an artist after In the Zone and Blackout maybe she would have a more solid and bigger impact in the long run. She was on her way to do so but her marriage, pregnacy, 2007 and daddy Spears came in and you know the rest of the story.... :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, colormefresh said:

With ease.

Madonna would have never gotten a “second wind” in her career without Britney at the 03 VMAs and Britney promoting her to a younger generation.

Wot? :ehidk_britney_um_eek:

By 2003 madonna had like her 3rd or 4th 'wind'. Her peak was definitely 1990 then Erotica, Bedtime stories, Evita, Ray of Light and Music came in. The kiss benefited more to Britney than to Madonna. 

Then she had the Confessions era, then she had the best selling tour, then she had a top touring award in 2012. Shes been consistent and have kept tight work ethic. She might have gained some new audience thsnks to Britney but tbh she didnt need it. She was beyond an icon by then, Let alone by now. :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:

Just now, Million Billion said:

By 2003 madonna had like her 3rd or 4th 'wind'. Her peak was definitely 1990 then Erotica, Bedtime stories, Evita, Ray of Light and Music came in. The kiss benefited more to Britney than to Madonna. 

Then she had the Confessions era, then she had the best selling tour, then she had a top touring award in 2012. Shes been consistent and have kept tight work ethic. She might have gained some new audience thsnks to Britney but tbh she didnt need it. She was beyond an icon by then, Let alone by now. :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:

Fadonna is a leach. Britney’s legacy is more alive and celebrated after 23 years than RATdonna’s career in 2005. :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:

3 minutes ago, Million Billion said:

Britney fans never would have cared about Madonna if not for Britney telling us how great she is on repeat. Facts are facts. :enigma_alien_blue:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, colormefresh said:

Britney fans never would have cared about Madonna if not for Britney telling us how great she is on repeat. Facts are facts. :enigma_alien_blue:

I wouldn’t say that’s true though. I love Madonna and after personal discovery, I became a huge fan — particularly her work in the 90s and early 00s. She was the perfect pop star then.

1 minute ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

I wouldn’t say that’s true though. I love Madonna and after personal discovery, I became a huge fan — particularly her work in the 90s and early 00s. She was the perfect pop star then.

OH for sure! I’m not saying Madonna didn’t DESERVE the push Britney gave…. But Britney gave her an enormous endorsement.

• Like 1
On 3/12/2020 at 11:57 PM, Roxxy said:

Well I guess you think that because you're born far later. But I guess it's a universally accepted statement if I say Like a Prayer, Like a VirginMaterial Girl, and Vogue are songs that are far more embedded in our society - more than all of Britney's iconic singles. Like a Prayer alone trumps BOMT, hands down. BOMT is only regarded as the best pop song of our generation and/or this century (21st). But LAP is regarded as an all time great. And I am saying this with a lot of love for Britney and as an OG 1998 stan which is difficult to get not everybody has that. I won't argue because it's hard to explain when you've not lived for both Madonna's and Britney's careers. Also, Madonna has had 3 peaks. Britney only has 2. Britney's second peak is barely a peak but only a resurgence. Madonna is on her 14th studio album. Longevity. Britney is barely on her 10th and is losing relevance. Madonna has had a top 10 during her 11th studio album. Britney hasn't had a top 10 since her 7th studio album and is already losing relevance.

It's just really not. Hehe. :ehum:

You’re comparing conservatorship albums to a free woman’s. Read the room. Britney is far, far, FARRRRR more relevant today than Madonna. Check the Instagram likes and Google search trends ;)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, dritney said:

You’re comparing conservatorship albums to a free woman’s. Read the room. Britney is far, far, FARRRRR more relevant today than Madonna. Check the Instagram likes and Google search trends ;)

Okay? :imacat_cat_hiss_meme_white_kitty_mad: Isn't that because Britney debuted a whole DECADE after Madonna?? She is more relevant with this generation due to her Circus and Femme Fatale eras with some of her early 00's hits in the bag as well. What Britney is to Gen Z is what Madonna was to millennials. Your post doesn't make sense one bit :britdrown_britney_tears_crying_drown_ink_black:

OT: No.

• Haha 1