Did Britney Spears surpass Madonna as the greatest female pop star of all time?

15 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

That's right. In today's landscape. But Madonna's "iconic-ness" has been around since the 80s and were on the 2020s. It's been 4 decades. Britney only has a career spanning 2 decades. The 2000s and the 2010s.

Yes. Personal observation. Which doesn't make sense after you just said you're not being subjective and biased when those two things are personal. (See? This is what I mean by you're making yourself look ignorant, sis. You're already losing rep points here and is not good when you want to win an argument) Also, where and how did you make this observation? Hehe. By observing who? Your other friends and peers who have also not even lived for most of the history of this planet? Like i'm not judging you cause I just find this amusing cause you're young and I understand that. I was also dumb when I was young. We've all been there. Hehe. Honestly, you should venture out more. Live more. Read more. Gather more knowledge and experience and wisdom because clearly there's a lot more learning you gotta do. ❤❤❤

By personal observation — I meant based on a social-cultural perspective. We all have our personal observations and see the world from a different perspective.  There’s different types of biases and we are all biased, to a certain extent. If we weren’t, we’d be literal robots with no opinion. I simply stated that I’m trying to not be as biased but rather use a personal observation. I don’t want to keep reiterating but I stated in several posts above my observations why I believe Britney is more celebrated/remembered than Madonna in today’s culture. Not that Britney is more consistent or she holds more artistic merit because we all are aware, even those living under a rock, that Madonna is. That being said — legacy certainly isn’t a fact that can be measured, the same way some Beyoncé fans will argue she’s bigger than Madonna and/or Britney. Anyway, it really isn’t as deep as you’re trying to make it. I promise you. :miley: 

Also — I am aware that wisdom tends to come with age but you shouldn’t generalize and think that just because I am of a certain age (25 isn’t all that vastly young either), that suddenly one is presumably perceived as being dumb. That sounds rather ignorant, especially your last few blindsided assumptions on what you think I should be doing when you don’t even know who I am. :miley::miley::miley: Anyway — literally wasn’t trying to argue here and again, I promise you it isn’t that deep. :deadbanana:

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brunetteknee said:

I feel like a lot of people aren’t understanding what your trying to say but I completely get it :mhmnod: the way Britney is celebrated is very unique. It’s hard to compare it to anyone else because there’s never really been another singer who has been through the strange and mysterious circumstances she has. I don’t think she is Madonna, but at the same time I don’t think she is above or below her. She is just on her own type of level. 

Also, this might be a hot take, but I don’t think longevity matters. I don’t know why everyone keeps bringing that up. Some artists have been around for literal decades upon decades but none of their new music is as good as their prime. It feels like they are beating a dead horse. :wontcry:Tbh I think the most powerful music I’ve ever heard came from singers who burned out as soon as they got here—Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobain/Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, etc etc. They only had a few albums but those albums had quality. Sometimes quality is much better than quantity. Britney, to me, is the same way. She doesn’t need to be around forever to be solidified as an icon. Her few albums speak for themselves. 

Thank you omg. Seems like someone understands the message I’m trying to convey. Longevity /= legacy. Everyone suddenly wants to argue ‘longevity’ when that’s literally not what this thread is about.

Artists like 2Pac and Biggie weren’t even ten years into their career before they were notoriously shot, yet their legacies and portrayal in hip-hop became the face of the culture for years, and even to this day, their images (esp. 2Pac) are inescapable. 

Same can be said for people like Janis, Jimi, Amy, Kurt, etc. and their respective genres.

Joni literally only had one studio album under her name while she was alive, yet became an instant pop culture icon as soon as she passed.

Britney is arguably the main face of late 20th century and 21st century pop music. Her name is synonymous with the term ‘pop star’ and I feel as if there hasn’t been a female artist from that kind of caliber who has been as celebrated or widespread as she has, at least not since.

That’s not to say Madonna isn’t iconic, didn’t break barriers or open the door for others but I’m arguing that Britney’s legacy (which includes her image, sound, style, music, outfits, media controversy, etc.), from as we see today, seems to FEEL more everlasting and ingrained in people’s minds.

Then again, Britney is technically more ‘newer’ and became one of the biggest stars during the early stages of the internet age which doesn’t really apply to Madonna, so I guess it really is like comparing apples to oranges. I can understand why some may find this particular question or opinion to be controversial I guess.  :miley:

• Love 2

Literally only Britney stans - myself included - consider Britney on this sort of level. Nobody else. 

The entire rest of the world has agreed that Madonna is the Queen of Pop. Just the other day I had somebody try to correct me when I tagged Britney as that. I have had people shocked that I consider Britney to be a legend - as they are not convinced. I know people who think Womanizer is her last single. Similar to the the trajectory of the Spice Girls, Britney was THE NAME in Pop for a short amount of time, but still successfully dominated the entire world during that time. Britney Spears as the acclaimed pop star ends for most people with Toxic, and then it’s just crazy Britney to them. So we’re at more than 15 years where the GP does not appreciate her work as any sort of a front runner - she is seen as a relic of the 1999/2000 pop scene & wildly influential on people’s childhoods, with everything else she’s done as progressively less and less engaging “comebacks.”

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate to say this, but in terms of general appeal, exposure, and longevity, Taylor Swift is the pop girl. Just as nobody gives a **** about any recent Madonna work, she is still considered the Queen, and we should be grateful that the cultural lexicon has agreed on Britney getting to be the Princess.

• Love 2
  • Like 6
5 hours ago, Tetris said:

Just as nobody gives a **** about any recent Madonna work, she is still considered the Queen, and we should be grateful that the cultural lexicon has agreed on Britney getting to be the Princess.

This is the most honest to God tea spilling post in this entire forum for 2020. Cultured Britney stans. :donewithit: We love to see it. ❤

• Love 2

Madonna's impact is more than just music.

She changed society and basically what it was like to be a woman in a male dominated industry. In the 80s. Females image was created for a male point of view. Madonna waa the first woman to be in control of her sound, image. Everything.  Let's not forget...  she holds the record for the biggest contract ever thx to her 2007 live nation deal that she sogned for 120 million.  . Madonna might be a polarizing figure. But she did write the book on **x, introduced Kabbalah to mainsfream. And one of the few female pop stars that can actually come unscathed from law suits, police arrests.  See her 1991 documentary truth or dare to understand what I'm talking about. 

Madonna is more than just music. Madonna is a freaking business empire. 

• Love 2
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, S0ggyBiscuit said:

And they make up for by their work ethic. Madge n Bey agendas alway seem forced to me whereas Brit was a guilty pleasure through escapism. 

yes i agree, its an interesting point; i think the most evident case is JLO, you can tell she's very serious about her job, and she does amazing, but it seems more like a task rather than her true passion.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

I think that was a big part of her appeal and why she became so massive, more than she was able to comprehend.

On stage and in her videos, she seemed larger than life but off stage, she was this quirky, cute, funny and sweet virginal-esque girl-next-door.

Being such a high-profile teen star was also a reason and as she got older; began to rebel and experience more with her sexuality, the fascination continued to propel.

We really haven’t had such a relatable and effortlessly-charismatic pop star since. I mean, Britney’s charm was truly universal, to say the least, but we can see how the media, press, handlers, ex-lovers, etc. took advantage of that. :( 

yes! i agree. also, i don't mean this in a bad way, but britney has that "puppy" effect, like she can't do anything wrong, and if she did, you still can't be mad.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

However one thing I believe — no other female artist since Britney’s debut had the explosion, universal appeal, long-term worldwide effect and controversy on not only music but pop culture the way she did, so that leaves me thinking — is she the greatest female pop star of all time? If not, then who? :byetina:

I think Gaga and Miley too, Miley not that much but still

• Like 1

Britney came very close being  a 'Madonna' type of pop goddess between 2000-2005 due to her output, performances,  style, persona, a roller coaster personal life. If she wasn't tired of the industry and its crowd she could have a career like hers but in her own terms. But she wasn't cut by this type of cloth..

• Love 2
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Don't look at the plays. LMAO I was talking about cultural impact. Slave doesn't have a lot of plays on Spotify (not like Toxic, Baby, Oops) but it's iconic. Just saying. Just go on Google. I'm sure you'll read a lot more about Like a Prayer and other Madonna songs which will enlighten you. Hehe. I get that it's really hard to understand cause you're so young and you haven't been around for most of the history of this planet. But I don't want to sound condescending but honestly if you were having this conversation with someone who's not a Britney stan (cause I consider you as family ❤), you would be judged and called ignorant. I'm not even kidding, sis. This is not a good look for you. You're lucky the Madonna stans haven't jumped on this thread yet. The dragging... Also, can't you see that no one is agreeing with you? Cause this is really not even up for debate. This is not good for your quadruple main page image. :ehum:

He stated an opinion and you dragged him for his thoughts... I don’t feel free to “express myself “ We all might be ignorant

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Tetris said:

Literally only Britney stans - myself included - consider Britney on this sort of level. Nobody else. 

The entire rest of the world has agreed that Madonna is the Queen of Pop. Just the other day I had somebody try to correct me when I tagged Britney as that. I have had people shocked that I consider Britney to be a legend - as they are not convinced. I know people who think Womanizer is her last single. Similar to the the trajectory of the Spice Girls, Britney was THE NAME in Pop for a short amount of time, but still successfully dominated the entire world during that time. Britney Spears as the acclaimed pop star ends for most people with Toxic, and then it’s just crazy Britney to them. So we’re at more than 15 years where the GP does not appreciate her work as any sort of a front runner - she is seen as a relic of the 1999/2000 pop scene & wildly influential on people’s childhoods, with everything else she’s done as progressively less and less engaging “comebacks.”

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate to say this, but in terms of general appeal, exposure, and longevity, Taylor Swift is the pop girl. Just as nobody gives a **** about any recent Madonna work, she is still considered the Queen, and we should be grateful that the cultural lexicon has agreed on Britney getting to be the Princess.

No one here is claiming or stating that Britney is the queen of pop. That honorific title will and always go to Madonna. It’s not to be disputed.

Again — some of y’all really seem to be having a hard time grasping what I’m trying to say so I’m not even going to bother repeating myself because I’m sounding like a broken record at this point.
That being said, I think you’re not giving Britney the credit she deserves and for you to say the trajectory of her career was similar to The Spice Girls is quite insulting. Yes, Britney’s peak may have been somewhat short-lived (mostly because she burned out by the fire she lit) but she was the main forefront of pop music, for good or for bad, for nearly 10 years until Britney, herself, couldn’t even keep up. Her brand and name was ingrained in pop culture. Her brand essentially became a commodity. She broke countless of records that didn’t even exist before she was 21. Even Madonna was astonished at her work ethic and how such a young girl was able to have the world wrapped around her finger. 

Britney’s story is the epitome of a 21st century rags-to-riches price of fame that the entire world analyzed and obsessed over. People lived vicariously through her and what should not be done to the brand of a celebrity. Arguably the most important female pop star of all time, if you ask me.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, GMFlop said:

The delusional on this thread is quite astonishing. What's next? Justin Bieber is bigger than Michael Jackson? 

Whatever Britney did, Madonna did it first. What Britney did not do was evolving as an artist like Madonna did. 

Delusional. Britney’s trajectory was so much more different than Madonna’s. Britney did many things, also broke countless barriers and opened several doors that Madonna did not.

Britney’s peak may have been somewhat short-lived (mostly because she burned out by the fire she lit) but she was the main forefront of pop music, for good or for bad, for nearly 10 years until Britney, herself, couldn’t even keep up. Her brand and name was ingrained in pop culture. Her brand essentially became a commodity. She broke countless of records that didn’t even exist before she was 21. Even Madonna was astonished at her work ethic and how such a young girl was able tohave the world wrapped around her finger. 

Britney’s story is the epitome of a 21st century rags-to-riches price of fame that the entire world analyzed and obsessed over. People lived vicariously through her and what should not be done to the brand of a celebrity. Arguably the most important female pop star of all time, if you ask me.

1 hour ago, One More Time said:

He stated an opinion and you dragged him for his thoughts... I don’t feel free to “express myself “ We all might be ignorant

Literally this. :deadbanana:

Her statements, followed by some nonsense presumptions turned harshly sour, hypocritical and unnecessarily ignorant, to say the least. Then she goes off to say that no one is agreeing when there were statements she made that nobody agreed with or were factually wrong, then went on to ignore further reasoning.

ANYWAY...I don’t think it’s as deep as certain people are trying to make it seem but if they want to perceive it as such, let them. Like the good sis Knee used to see “it’s all fun.” :gagasmile:

Britney Spears is known today more for being a mess than for her music. Cultural references to Britney are as likely to mention her head shaving and mental illness as her music. Lady Gaga is the only pop star so far in the 21st century to have a career trajectory similar to Madonna's. 

Britney Spears? Not even close. 

It's like you're comparing Allen Iverson to Michael Jordan. 

• Haha 2
  • Like 2
  • Super Mods

No, Madonna will always have her place just like Britney will. The only difference is Britney at least as more sense than Madonna and knows how to age gracefully if you know what I mean. Britney understands her fame will never the level it once was and is okay with fading out of the limelight, but it seems with Madonna she’s fighting back and back then that was something everyone admired about her, now it’s just pathetic. She doesn’t need to do all these tours and always needing to prove to people she’s not weak. All these antics she’s done in the last decade looks like a woman going through a midlife crisis. Of all the things Britney’s done, I think what Madonna is doing is more ruining her legacy. She’s no longer Regina and is Gretchen now, ya know?

• Love 1
  • Like 3
23 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

I’m not denying Madonna’s impact at all. She’s proven to be more of a ‘serious’ artist and has spanned more longevity. Then again, Britney was so young when she became massively famous and Madonna didn’t have to go through a lot of the scrutiny that Britney endured during those developmental ages. 

Point is — in 2020, Britney’s legacy feels more celebrated and remembered than Madonna’s. At least that’s how I see it.

Madonna actually had probably more scrutiny than Britney. 

When she first began. Everybody agreed that she was ****. But not talented. Minnie mouse on helium was her voice described in the early days. She purposely went to a lower register on True blue. 

Plus several of her videos were banned or in the case of LAP. Made her lose business deals with Pepsi due to religious figures boycotting the product just because of a sponsorship for Madonna. 

The **x book. She became the most hated female for a long time. Just because people were uncomfortable of a woman expressing her ****** fantasies. Even her pregnancy with Lourdes was a tabloid fodder.

I dont think people realized. Some of the stuff Madonna went thru because her art. Many of these artists including britney wouldn't survive or come out unscathed.

They dont have the backbone like Madonna did and still does today..

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I'm just wondering  in what hell Ariana Grande has ever surpassed  Britney, other than maybe on a musical note? Another thing.... the fact that I had to say Ariana Grande yet only say Britney has much proof in it's own. Its Britney *****! Like Madonna,  Beyonce,  Janet , Mariah. Whitney... BRITNEY. No last name needed  there is only one and everyone knows exactly who it is when you say the name.... Even in a Madonna performance  (2003 VMA) Britney was the star/topic/news headline let's look at this a different way to simplify  it for people..... 

Compared to Britney how much longer have these other artist been out and relevant? Now how long has Britney ? Ok ... so how much was Britney able to accomplish in let's just say 99-04? What she pulled off in that time alone compared to these other artists surpassed some of them still to this day .. I'm  saying most powerful celeb in the world at what 19? By 26 lifetime achievement  award.. a Michael Jackson video Vanguard award.  A debut video that literally caused riots and was considered Mtvs #1 Most iconic pop video in TRL history 

I mean Britney still to this day is paid very very Heavily  for whatever shes getting into or doing so to say she isny relevant? She still has some of the top grossing tours every time she does one. Her Vegas show was the number one show in Vegas!  She's taking some time off at the moment but, how could you say she's not relevant ? Even in doing so she still spoken about, referred  to, debated about so on and so on

• Like 4

I think a lot of us weren’t around to see Madonna’s impact, but from what I hear it was HUGE. Of course YouTube doesn’t capture it, because her rise was in the 80’s. Of course she was huge in the 90’s and 00’s too. Like A Virgin, Express Yourself, Vogue, Holiday, Papa Don’t Preach, Lucky Star, Material Girl, Borderline, Like A Prayer, Live To Tell, True Blue, Into The Groove... they were all hits, a lot of them standing the test of time. Ray of Light, Take A Bow, the album Erotica... Confessions on a Dancefloor was a masterpiece. 4 Minutes.. She has so much amazing music. I was born in 1992, but I have a great appreciation for the force that is Madonna, especially in the 80’s with her extraordinary confidence and amazing dancing. I love Britney so so much, but I wouldn’t say she’s a bigger force than Madonna. They are both forces in their own right. Mariah Carey too.. don’t get me started on her legacy. ezgif-6-1e4c64ea078e.gif

• Like 3