The Next Evolution Of BreatheHeavy: A Letter From Jordan Miller

Jordan Miller

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Leader
1 hour ago, vdez83 said:

Fun fact.... if you don't like the change.... it is totally OPTIONAL.  You don't have to pay the $5.   The membership fee will be for an ad free experience...so if you choose to not partake in the membership....get this....your BH experience will stay the exact same as it is today!!!!  Crazy! (hopefully you heard the opening to the Stop Remix when you read that.)

Keep trucking Jordan.  It is YOUR site and you run it the way you see fit. 

:well: Tea. Hath. Been. Spilt. 

(Membership also gives access to premium content)

• Leader
1 hour ago, Dhl818 said:

Idk man. I’ve been coming to BreatheHeavy since you started it and it just seems like you use Britney to your every advantage. When she no longer created the drama that ran your site you changed it to what it is now. And now, when it’s announced that Britney is in rehab and your site is probably receiving extra traffic from THAT story you choose to make this announcement. You’re letter was 100% correct. But I really didn’t wanna drag you over creating an exclusive membership section or whatever to your page. You’ve already asked what people thought about that and I honestly hope it does well and wish you luck but I also don’t know if karma is gonna let that happen IF you did in your head think this was a good time to announce this while Britney’s news is getting people on your site. You just could’ve waited a little longer as you already have been doing. That’s all. 

One more thought. I expanded BH from Britney to pop music because I was personally wanting more of a challenge. I had done Britney news exclusively for an entire decade and was ready for more. That is exactly the place I am in again - I want to grow =]

• Leader
2 hours ago, GemmaTeller said:

I just don't know how many people will realistically pay for celebrity/music  related content when we have so much access to celebs for free thanks to social media and other things. I think getting to use the forum without ads is a good incentive to pay the fee though  :mhmnod:

Also, you nailed it. Social media has made these artists sooo accessible, that writing about breaking news is basically pointless because it's on Instagram or Facebook or YouTube anyway. What is the point in writing stories saying 'here, this happened, click play below' over and over. 

That's the beauty of RX. They are original stories that won't be available anywhere but BH :cardi: <3 

• Leader
3 hours ago, MmmDani said:

I think there are other things you’re missing that would be less controversial.

- Obviously YouTube, although it’s fair enough that that isn’t something you’re personally interested in. However, creating a “department” (idk how you manage this site), meaning a few people controlling a BreatheHeavy YouTube channel. Partnering with an already established channel (or forming an umbrella channel and working with a plethora of other channels). The important part is the content, I promise you that you won’t be able to compete with other news channels that are already established. Similarly to how you view Exhale, what you can really draw people in with is discussion. Most channels do Top 10s and Reactions. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t watch some, but proper reviews, news analysis and speculation is rare for pop music. Most channels are focussed on multiple genres and don’t generally cover a lot of Pop. If BreatheHeavy went to YouTube, you’d have to bring a unique perspective (and there is a hole in the market, so don’t miss the opportunity if you’re genuinely considering it)

- Competitions, such as Fan Remix competitions. They aren’t hard to judge, I think that’s an easy way of generating discussion and traffic to the site

- The Forums need a couple of tweaks. The “General” section is a mess. There needs to be more divisions within that section to make the content more accessible. E.g. Music, Television/Film, there are a lot of LGBT discussions maybe there’s a section there e.t.c

- Podcasts, easy, that’s probably the first thing I’d look into

- An App

Personally, this isn’t particularly attractive at the moment. The price is too high (comparable to streaming services), and the content just isn’t there from what you’re saying. Use caution when implementing “premium” abilities to Exhale, don’t make it like a “pay-to-win” game. 

I really transparency here, but I think you need more content (that won’t damage the community, such as premium perks) for the high pay wall. Good luck

- I def want to tap into the YouTube market. It's been difficult for me because I don't enjoy making videos. The editing process is a nightmare, and the whole thing seems overwhelming. However, I do understand how important it is and would like to get people hired for that. Which of course costs $, and I'm hoping memberships assists with projects like that. Cause God knows advertising (and peoples' ad block) isn't helping. 

- Love the competitions idea, because I want readers to be more involved / engaged. 

- Exhale definitely needs some TLC. Looking forward to that this year as well!

- Podcasts is 100% happening after this rolls out. That's the next big project. 

- An app - I get that a lotttt. TBH I have some ideas for an app that aren't just re-imagining how BreatheHeavy functions as a news site. Something else entirely ;)

Thank you for the feedback! It's not falling on deaf ears. 

• Leader
3 hours ago, chrisryan said:

Id pay 5$ to not be physically assaulted by ad's on this site TBH. Does it include Exhale? Will it load properly? I work in digital/website development so this is super painful for me to be on....although I will say it has gotten better!

I dont want the stories, just to be able to talk about Britney without an ad trying to **** me. 

Lmao / ugh. Let me figure out a way to integrate Exhale into this. I'm confident I can figure something out :jj:

28 minutes ago, breatheheavy said:

Don't be so sure about that ;) 

that was the tl:dr version :well:

I may not be the market for it but I whs you the best since it seems like a good idea while you develop the project more

Evolving your business is definitely a good thing and what you should aim for. Even if this doesn't play out like you want or expect to, you can still learn as you go and adapt.

Personally I'm not interested in that and the pricing seems a bit high to me, even though im not really informed on the subject. It seems like it's what is required to run the site without ads and not actually reflecting the value of the content you're getting access to with that money. I hope the people who will subscribe are going to be left satisfied

I don't think many would pay 5 dollars for that, unfortunately people don't even purchase music.

If fans want exclusives they get that on Instagram, Twitter, and all sites are mostly free.

Why would you think charging a fee to read content and subscribe to the writing section when not even Oprah, and big name interviewers or talk show hosts would charge a fee for their exclusives to the GP.

It's free to go sit at a talk show and see celebrities, folks don't buy magazines anymore cause of all the breaking content online.

I'm not so sure this is a good idea considering folks wouldn't really know what they'd be getting.

Nonetheless, good luck on the venture and post the receipts  of how many pay for that.

Maybe if you were a celebrity or a big name that would draw some attraction, however many will continue to open up their phones to social media and all the blogs and sites that are free which are most.

2 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Not a bad idea! I'm trying to keep the pricing as simple as possible, but I DO like the idea of a 3-day pass. I'll keep this in mind!

I'm curious as to how people that don't subscribe or pay the 5 dollars for that section of content aren't going to find out what's being posted?

People could easily screenshot the content and share it anywhere therefore what a few might pay for everyone gets for free.

I'm not sure there would be a way to block the sharing of the exclusive content.

Spending $5/month to support a community that I love is nothing. I think you did a good job revamping the main page throughout the years but these Exhale forums are still a mess and is the reason why there is no real Britney Spears fan community here despite this being her #1 fan forum. Exhale started off as the messy jungle of the Britney forums where trolls ran rampant ,people got off on being rude to each other, and the moderators were extremely biased and cliquish.  Eventually all the top fans forums were sold off but Exhale remained.

After all these years, Exhale is still a jungle where trolls run rampant against Britney and her fans. The trolls are like longtime regular posters. They are obsessed with Britney ,hate her fans, but know how to blend in like an alternative Britney fan. They have been able to do this because they were allowed to stick around without being banned for so many years.

I come here for Britney news. Though I do like reading the opinions of some Exhalers, there is no real community here. I don't trust the members to be actual fans because I know that trolls are allowed to hang around FOREVER.

How about making the Exhale Britney Spears Forum a welcoming place for fans to discuss Britney without being attacked by some senior trolls.  I am so glad there is  an #Ignore User option.

10 hours ago, pablitonizer said:

5 dollars for "Ad-free & beautiful, original content for subscribers, including in-depth thought pieces, investigative essays, interviews, features, podcasts, videos and more!"?????!!!  Shudder costs $4,99 and offers a wide veriety of horror movies & exclusive content :whatitellu:

Sorry Jordan, I don't see the point in this :notatall:

Plus, honestly, most of these articles so far have come across as amateur and not really in-depth at all. And personally, I'd never pay to read a random blogger's opinion when you can find that content for free literally all over the internet. :yaknow:

Archived