The Next Evolution Of BreatheHeavy: A Letter From Jordan Miller

Jordan Miller

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Isla. said:

I don't think that's true. Loads of websites and apps offer premium content now. And although they aren't exactly websites, so many people are subscribed to Spotify premium and Apple Music (they only offer 3 months free before you have to pay)

Comparing Spotify/Apple and other long-established news outlets to BH is beyond ludicrous. 

6 minutes ago, citizen said:

Comparing Spotify/Apple and other long-established news outlets to BH is beyond ludicrous. 

I'm not comparing them. You said 'the biggest sites on the net struggle to get money' and I don't see how that statement only refers to news outlets. I thought you were talking about all websites and forms of online media so I was trying to explain it in my opinion.

• Leader
13 hours ago, jennyj said:

Riding the hilarious Apple subscription announcement to pay for 'premium' content (i.e. most content you can already see online or really not worth time)

But hey, I'm sure some people will jump on it and you'll make some bucks, so kudos to you for trying!  Should be interesting to see what actually gets posted there to sell us on it.

I really want to stress that yes this is an alternative way to generate revenue (because lbr advertising is $h!t), but the main reason I'm doing this is to create a better BreatheHeavy :qtbrit:

And when you say "most content you can already see online or really not worth time" - exactly. That is why our premium content will not focus on Breaking News. Breaking news stories will still be available for anyone with or without a membership =] 

• Leader
20 minutes ago, IndieBritFan said:

I’m sorry but this is not a evolution it’s just you trying to get money from us 

It is an evolution. I am changing how BreatheHeavy thrives. Ad revenue across the board is on the decline. I think in the next two years people are going to be shocked at how many music sites (or sites in general) switch to this kind of model. BH is really one of the firsts imo so there's a lot of confusion. 

This isn't just me trying to get peoples' money. :kiss:

• Leader
3 hours ago, Goku said:

He rushed this thread still not knowing in what consists the "evolution." Coincidence my ***. :ohi:

I mean look, I'm not going to change your mind on the timing of this announcement. It was scheduled for April 5th for weeks. My bday is on Sunday and that's how I wanted to kick off my 31st bday - with this announcement. 

• Leader
9 hours ago, citizen said:

I wish you all the best but do you really think people want to pay to hear your/anyone's personal opinions? I can't imagine anyone will pay for whatever "premium" content will be on offer either. The biggest sites on the net struggle to get money from people, I really don't know what you're thinking, seriously. Best of luck with whatever you decide anyway. 

I'm only accepting a certain amount of people to start (not saying the number tho lol) and in just one day it's almost full. :wow: 

https://mailchi.mp/e19f505e8fe6/bhrxwaitinglist

• Leader
3 hours ago, Isla. said:

I'm not comparing them. You said 'the biggest sites on the net struggle to get money' and I don't see how that statement only refers to news outlets. I thought you were talking about all websites and forms of online media so I was trying to explain it in my opinion.

Yea that's also a myth haha. The subscription model can work amazingly well IF it's done right. Of course I am going to do my best to make sure this is flawless. It's a new frontier y'all! 

• Leader
5 hours ago, Godney's Sweet *** said:

Not one to give praise too easily, but I admire the way Jordan's replied to criticism in a mature and constructive way in this thread. Props to him for that  ;)

Awe haha thanks. I appreciate that! 

YES, one of the biggest mistakes I made in 2014 when switching from Britney to pop was HOW I went about it, and I just refuse to be on the defense like last time. I really want to be honest and transparent with everyone because I know this can come across like what people have already suggested: 1.) I am money hungry and 2.) I am taking advantage of Britney (keep in mind this isn't solely new Britney content , there's also pop content as well in the works. But a lot of the new stories are centered around Britney, yes, because I want to highlight her career and pay homage to our roots as we venture into our 15th year) 

• Leader
23 hours ago, IUSAtonight said:

Evolving your business is definitely a good thing and what you should aim for. Even if this doesn't play out like you want or expect to, you can still learn as you go and adapt.

Personally I'm not interested in that and the pricing seems a bit high to me, even though im not really informed on the subject. It seems like it's what is required to run the site without ads and not actually reflecting the value of the content you're getting access to with that money. I hope the people who will subscribe are going to be left satisfied

Love this comment, thank you! It's a huge risk, and took me an entire year to be brave enough to take this head on, but I feel confident that things are going in the right direction. I am not happy anymore writing about breaking news anymore. I want BH to stand out and shine and grow. It just wasn't happening the way things were going. It's so funny that $5 is this huge figure to people. I get that it's peoples' hard earned money, but damn I see people paying $18 for a drink and you're going to get 10-15 original stories per month (and more perks as time goes on) for five bucks. 

• Leader
21 hours ago, IconicShow said:

I'm curious as to how people that don't subscribe or pay the 5 dollars for that section of content aren't going to find out what's being posted?

People could easily screenshot the content and share it anywhere therefore what a few might pay for everyone gets for free.

I'm not sure there would be a way to block the sharing of the exclusive content.

You're right. I thought a lot about this. Of course I am going to have to be on the defense with people stealing / redistributing our exclusive content that members are paying for (this would mean someone is paying for a membership then sharing it with others for free which is kind of silly of them). Ultimately if someone is going to go through the lengths to steal, then they aren't the kind of person I want to market to. This meant for the people who genuinely want to be a part of something special and don't want to hurt it by stealing. It's essentially the equivalent of readers viewing BH with ad block. There will always be people wanting to rage against the machine, and I understand that. I 1000% won't be passive about it and just let them get away with it, but I'm also not going to not pursue this because of shitty people 

• Leader
11 hours ago, hi_kevin said:

Yikes! I’ve been here since 2008, and I feel like maybe back then this would have been a hit- especially if there was some exclusive material being shared amongst paying members. But to be honest, this site needs rebranding and gain some sort clout or positive reputation before it embarks on something like this. 

Jordan, I’m in love w/ the nostalgia the site brings and I have SO much respect for you. I’m hoping you’ll prove me wrong, but twitter is free and gives nuanced viewpoints about pop news and history that are SO accessible and ad free with the input of literally millions of non-paying fans and thinkers. What on earth makes you think that fans alike will begin paying $5 a month on top of their netflix, gym, spotify, etc etc etc memberships? 

As a devoted Exhale fan, it seems like that is the market you should be trying to rejuvinate.... if you don’t already have huge traffic on your main site, what makes you think you’ll start to have traffic once the fee comes in?? oof, plz don’t self-sabatoge yourself boo , it’ll be painful to watch unfold. 

Unless of course it’s a success. 

Good luck! I hope I’m not a complete ****. Honesty just seems extremely necessary right now, coming from someone who’s been supportive of this site for over 11 years. 

I appreciate your feedback! I think you're underestimating how many people read the stories / main page.  

Of course I'm not expecting the majority of people to subscribe. I'm looking to capture a small group of people who love Britney, pop music and BH and want to be a part of something special and deliver them  great content frequently. It's definitely not for everyone and I totally understand and respect that.

• Leader
10 hours ago, mauureee said:

I really don't care about this, no exclusive content online remains exclusive. And aso if it's just a "good story" for reading I don't think I'd care even if it "leaks". :arianabye: Good luck anyways, hope you earn a lot of money :bedtime:

No worries! I know this won't be everyone.

Also it won't be too difficult to track who is spreading our paid content. And it will also be pretty easy to ban them from accessing the site entirely and revoking their membership, but honestly I don't see that being a problem too often. If someone is willing to go through the lengths of becoming a member / subscribing and paying, they probably aren't going to want to then give away the stories to everyone for free (since they had to shell out). I'm sure it will happen, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Obviously they will never be welcome back so hopefully it's worth it to them :evilpatrick:

45 minutes ago, breatheheavy said:

I mean look, I'm not going to change your mind on the timing of this announcement. It was scheduled for April 5th for weeks. My bday is on Sunday and that's how I wanted to kick off my 31st bday - with this announcement. 

Happy BIRTHDAY Jordy!!

Spoiler

From this part of the world

giphy.gif

Archived