The Next Evolution Of BreatheHeavy: A Letter From Jordan Miller

Jordan Miller

I think there are other things you’re missing that would be less controversial.

- Obviously YouTube, although it’s fair enough that that isn’t something you’re personally interested in. However, creating a “department” (idk how you manage this site), meaning a few people controlling a BreatheHeavy YouTube channel. Partnering with an already established channel (or forming an umbrella channel and working with a plethora of other channels). The important part is the content, I promise you that you won’t be able to compete with other news channels that are already established. Similarly to how you view Exhale, what you can really draw people in with is discussion. Most channels do Top 10s and Reactions. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t watch some, but proper reviews, news analysis and speculation is rare for pop music. Most channels are focussed on multiple genres and don’t generally cover a lot of Pop. If BreatheHeavy went to YouTube, you’d have to bring a unique perspective (and there is a hole in the market, so don’t miss the opportunity if you’re genuinely considering it)

- Competitions, such as Fan Remix competitions. They aren’t hard to judge, I think that’s an easy way of generating discussion and traffic to the site

- The Forums need a couple of tweaks. The “General” section is a mess. There needs to be more divisions within that section to make the content more accessible. E.g. Music, Television/Film, there are a lot of LGBT discussions maybe there’s a section there e.t.c

- Podcasts, easy, that’s probably the first thing I’d look into

- An App

Personally, this isn’t particularly attractive at the moment. The price is too high (comparable to streaming services), and the content just isn’t there from what you’re saying. Use caution when implementing “premium” abilities to Exhale, don’t make it like a “pay-to-win” game. 

I really transparency here, but I think you need more content (that won’t damage the community, such as premium perks) for the high pay wall. Good luck

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MmmDani said:

I think there are other things you’re missing that would be less controversial.

- Obviously YouTube, although it’s fair enough that that isn’t something you’re personally interested in. However, creating a “department” (idk how you manage this site), meaning a few people controlling a BreatheHeavy YouTube channel. Partnering with an already established channel (or forming an umbrella channel and working with a plethora of other channels). The important part is the content, I promise you that you won’t be able to compete with other news channels that are already established. Similarly to how you view Exhale, what you can really draw people in with is discussion. Most channels do Top 10s and Reactions. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t watch some, but proper reviews, news analysis and speculation is rare for pop music. Most channels are focussed on multiple genres and don’t generally cover a lot of Pop. If BreatheHeavy went to YouTube, you’d have to bring a unique perspective (and there is a hole in the market, so don’t miss the opportunity if you’re genuinely considering it)

- Competitions, such as Fan Remix competitions. They aren’t hard to judge, I think that’s an easy way of generating discussion and traffic to the site

- The Forums need a couple of tweaks. The “General” section is a mess. There needs to be more divisions within that section to make the content more accessible. E.g. Music, Television/Film, there are a lot of LGBT discussions maybe there’s a section there e.t.c

- Podcasts, easy, that’s probably the first thing I’d look into

- An App

Personally, this isn’t particularly attractive at the moment. The price is too high (comparable to streaming services), and the content just isn’t there from what you’re saying. Use caution when implementing “premium” abilities to Exhale, don’t make it like a “pay-to-win” game. 

I really transparency here, but I think you need more content (that won’t damage the community, such as premium perks) for the high pay wall. Good luck

I'm 99% sure that BH cannot post remixes from Britney or any other artist (even though they're fan-made), that'd be copyright infringement. They can only use exclusive/original content if they don't wanna get into trouble  :mhmnod:

I just don't know how many people will realistically pay for celebrity/music  related content when we have so much access to celebs for free thanks to social media and other things. I think getting to use the forum without ads is a good incentive to pay the fee though  :mhmnod:

Oh and I dont know if this would work but since a lot of people may not think they need the forum or the articles ALL the time and feel put off by the thought of paying every month you could offer like a 3 day pass for 2.99 or something in addition to the monthly thing for people who only care when something big in music is happening. It could add up maybe?

Fun fact.... if you don't like the change.... it is totally OPTIONAL.  You don't have to pay the $5.   The membership fee will be for an ad free experience...so if you choose to not partake in the membership....get this....your BH experience will stay the exact same as it is today!!!!  Crazy! (hopefully you heard the opening to the Stop Remix when you read that.)

Keep trucking Jordan.  It is YOUR site and you run it the way you see fit. 

6 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

bh-rx-letter-2.jpg

Before YouTube dominated how we watch videos online, before Instagram zapped our smart phone batteries. Hell, before smart phones… there was BreatheHeavy.com.

BreatheHeavy originated as a Britney Spears fansite 15-years-ago (June 2004), and boy has it seen its share of ups and downs. If you’ve been frequenting the site since then, we’ve been through a lot together. Our lives have changed profoundly in that time, but our love of all things Britney, and pop music, have shaped a part of our identities that we cherish. There’re not many things in life that spark a sense of excitement quite like our favorite pop stars, and capturing that magic in a bottle and sharing it with you is one of my main missions in life. BreatheHeavy is my passion, and no amount of words in a post could convey how truly blessed and grateful I feel. Your unwavering support has granted me the freedom to pursue my dreams. I can’t thank you enough.

Five years ago, I abruptly announced that BreatheHeavy would no longer be a Britney fansite. I flipped a switch and re-branded this as a pop music site. The intention was right, but the execution… all wrong. I learned a valuable lesson that year: be inclusive.

In the time since, I’ve written thousands of stories and conducted interviews with superstars like Lady Gaga and Britney (hey, that Q&A we did counts)… to lesser-known independent artists that I feel deserve recognition. But like I did five years ago, professionally… I yearn to expand further than my comfort zone allows. I no longer want BreatheHeavy to solely grind out breaking news (though we’ll still continue to post it!), but also offer original material you can’t find anywhere but BreatheHeavy. That’s where BreatheHeavy RX comes in.

For the last year, I’ve wrestled with the idea of creating a $5 a month subscription / membership element to BH. In my heart, I knew it would be epic, not to mention a first of its kind in the music blogosphere, but I’ve been scared. Terrified that no one would care. It’s the Internet equivalent of no one showing up to your birthday party, but something Britney and pop music have taught me over the years is that the best things in life happen through taking a leap of faith. Because the greatest risk is taking no risk at all.

I’ve quietly rolled-out what I consider “premium” content recently. You may have seen the “BH RX” logo branded on social media posts, or noticed the RX section on the main page. They’re original stories that ask the reader to break away from their hectic lives for a few minutes and escape into a world of thought, nostalgia and analysis. Myself and two editors (James and Ross) are creating more stories like these – focused on Britney and pop music – because it’s my hope that BreatheHeavy can reach further into the hearts and minds of music lovers like you.

Memberships won’t go live for a little while, so if you’re even slightly interested, I encourage you to sign up to our waiting list to get more information (don’t worry, you’re not committing to anything just yet). I’ll send you updates and freebies prior to the launch. I’ve also set up a Frequently Asked Questions page here because I want to be as transparent as possible.

Yes, Internet comments will drag me to hell. Yes, I anticipate a backlash and probably a battle with my own self doubt, but ultimately it boils down to this: I want BreatheHeavy to offer ad free, high quality content, make real connections with YOU, the loyal readers who have stuck by through thick & thin, and create a community of people who share a love for Britney and pop music. Let’s do this!…together.

So much love,
Jordan Miller
Owner / Editor in chief of BreatheHeavy.com

bh-rx.png

Idk man. I’ve been coming to BreatheHeavy since you started it and it just seems like you use Britney to your every advantage. When she no longer created the drama that ran your site you changed it to what it is now. And now, when it’s announced that Britney is in rehab and your site is probably receiving extra traffic from THAT story you choose to make this announcement. You’re letter was 100% correct. But I really didn’t wanna drag you over creating an exclusive membership section or whatever to your page. You’ve already asked what people thought about that and I honestly hope it does well and wish you luck but I also don’t know if karma is gonna let that happen IF you did in your head think this was a good time to announce this while Britney’s news is getting people on your site. You just could’ve waited a little longer as you already have been doing. That’s all. 

9 minutes ago, Dhl818 said:

Idk man. I’ve been coming to BreatheHeavy since you started it and it just seems like you use Britney to your every advantage. When she no longer created the drama that ran your site you changed it to what it is now. And now, when it’s announced that Britney is in rehab and your site is probably receiving extra traffic from THAT story you choose to make this announcement. You’re letter was 100% correct. But I really didn’t wanna drag you over creating an exclusive membership section or whatever to your page. You’ve already asked what people thought about that and I honestly hope it does well and wish you luck but I also don’t know if karma is gonna let that happen IF you did in your head think this was a good time to announce this while Britney’s news is getting people on your site. You just could’ve waited a little longer as you already have been doing. That’s all. 

Exactly :nynod:

• Leader
1 hour ago, GemmaTeller said:

I just don't know how many people will realistically pay for celebrity/music  related content when we have so much access to celebs for free thanks to social media and other things. I think getting to use the forum without ads is a good incentive to pay the fee though  :mhmnod:

Oh and I dont know if this would work but since a lot of people may not think they need the forum or the articles ALL the time and feel put off by the thought of paying every month you could offer like a 3 day pass for 2.99 or something in addition to the monthly thing for people who only care when something big in music is happening. It could add up maybe?

Not a bad idea! I'm trying to keep the pricing as simple as possible, but I DO like the idea of a 3-day pass. I'll keep this in mind!

• Leader
1 hour ago, Dhl818 said:

This made me really sad. This announcement has been planned for today for literal weeks. And if push came to shove and I had to show a judge receipts, I could prove it. I wasn't waiting for some huge Britney story to share this news. I know you're well intentioned, but someone thinking I'm taking advantage of Britney, especially during a time when she's in a mental health facility, when all I am trying to do is create original content for fans while she's out of the spotlight (content that pays respect to her legacy and career), is a bummer. Sending you good vibes either way.

Archived