"Make Me..." Deserves Better

18 minutes ago, SlayOut said:

The tea has not been this hot in a while! :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised: You said everything that needs to be said. :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:
I feel like so many people wanted a new sound from Britney back then, or at least wanted a pivot away from the overproduced, overprocessed EDM sound. And Make Me was just that. I will always remember my first listen to that jam… :katycry_perry_crying_tears_sad_sobbing:

Thank you for doing the good work with this thread. :kisses_britney_kiss_blow_womanizer_love_circus:2008: Haters can seethe. :chrissy_xtina_head_tilt_purse_sass: You’ve always been a Day 1 Make Me stan and that makes you a legend in my book! :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

I appreciate you always supporting Make Me alongside me. :tysm_beyonce_thanks_wow_gratitude_love_you_ily:

And yes! I'm glad someone else remembers everyone wanting something different from Britney for this era other than just overproduced EDM. Britney delivered it beautifully. :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

• Love 5

I love this thread, thank you for appreciating her VISION AND PASSION 18 YEARS INTO THE BUSINESS. She keeps delivering each time, and fans not seeing that is nerve-racking to me. It was EXACTLY what we wanted and what we needed back then, and the vocals are still a SERVE. It was a time when the conversation had started to pivot towards Britney doing "always the same", and that's the worst thing that can happen to an artist. But of course, then she didn't break any records nor got to number 1 so most fans turned on her. Disgusting. Something similar happened when "Criminal" was released, we were being heard and we even got to vote on it, but when that single didn't resonate with the GP then most fans started slandering it.
And like you said, "Glory" is the album for which we agreed the least on the potential singles because EVERYTHING IS SINGLE MATERIAL. Grab any album from any current artist and tell me if that's even possible.

• Love 8
  • Haha 1
  • Super Mods
27 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I appreciate you always supporting Make Me alongside me. :tysm_beyonce_thanks_wow_gratitude_love_you_ily:

And yes! I'm glad someone else remembers everyone wanting something different from Britney for this era other than just overproduced EDM. Britney delivered it beautifully. :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

Love that we’ve stanned Make Me together on Exhale for this long! :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:
I so remember those early days before Make Me was even released… I will never forget the low quality audio snippet that was leaked from a dance rehearsal or something. Like idk if there was video, just audio. And it was from what we’d know would be the verse leading up to the chorus.

And I remember how everyone on Exhale was like, “omg is that Britney? :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:“, “omg vocals, it’s mid tempo!” Etc. :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:
And then not long after we got the photos of Britney and G Eazy on set. And realized that a video was underway… :omgreallyney_britney_oh_omg_god_my_shocked_wow_really_in_the_zone_2003:

Ugh. Such a fun time on Exhale and as a Britney fan (despite all the things that were happening behind the scenes that we may not have all been fully aware of).

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Britney_Make_Me_cover.png.6d8c2f0b78949407aee9a64885be38cc.pngAlright, buckle in, because this rant has been a long time coming. :whitney_houston_huh_oh_really_well_look_stare_welp:

I’m so sick of people slandering Make Me… on here. Make Me was such a fresh sound for Britney, which perfectly set the tone for both the Britney renaissance of the Glory era and the album itself. It finally lost the heavy EDM sound of Britney Jean and Femme Fatale, and it was the clearest and least processed vocals we had gotten from Britney on a lead single since Me Against the Music (13 years earlier). It really felt like a new era, and it felt like we were getting Britney back again. :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

Exhale also LOVED Make Me when the Glory era started. Let me tell you, the hype was unreal, especially around the time that the original music video started leaking in full to influencers and in snippets for us fans online. :howiroll_beyonce_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_white_shirt_hands:

Where things started to go wrong was when it had been weeks since the leaks and the video still hadn’t been released, and then we finally got the travesty of the music video that we have today. Then we got the screenshot album cover that we now know likely replaced the photo of Britney in chains tied to the house in the desert. Britney_Make_Me_cover.png.6d8c2f0b78949407aee9a64885be38cc.pngThen we got the VMA performance which followed a 15-minute Beyonce performance and was cut short by Britney spending half of her performance singing G-Eazy’s song. :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

Because of these events, both Make Me and the Glory era hype deflated pretty rapidly. I think a lot of people have, subconsciously or consciously, blamed Make Me the song for the downfall of the Glory era which is why it seems unpopular here now. But, again, the song was widely loved when it was first released. It also felt to me like Britney really liked the song and I do believe she wanted it to be her first single. She mentioned in the Jonathan Ross interview that Glory was her baby and she wanted to be more in control this era.

In my opinion, the song is still fresh and timeless. I genuinely love it so much, and it’s my second favorite Britney lead single (following Gimme More). I like that Britney did something unexpected by releasing a more midtempo song (rather than a fact-paced banger) for the lead single. Make Me was a breath of fresh air. Even with it being something different for her, it has always felt like a classic Britney song to me. It was perfectly suited for the pop music climate of the time too. I think it’s one of the best songs from Glory. :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad::praisega_gaga_amazing_brilliant_show_stopping_showstopping_sunglasses_incredible_yas_Yes:

So, this is my appreciation thread for Make Me... and for the other Make Me… lovers out there. :tysm_beyonce_thanks_wow_gratitude_love_you_ily:

I’m sure this will start off the usual Glory singles debate (I don’t think any other Britney album has had such disagreement on what songs should’ve been singles and in what order) and people saying that this is too long to read, but whatever, I said what needed to be said. :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Stream Make Me... y'all!

Hide contents

Agree! Make me is really good song! It would have better impact if team con didn’t ****ed up

• Love 2
  • Like 1

It was never a bad song. It's actually a good song and yes I do agree with you. It was different from what we were used to listen from Britney BUT..... 

TO ME theres no point in making a good vocally song if you are never going to perform it live. By "live" I mean 200% no pre-recorded, no backing vocals, you pure and bare voice. Knowing this, she was never gonna do that, so the fact it was a lead single was a poor decision. Her strenght was upbeat dynamic tracks she could perform to. Glory had some:

Better

Do You Wanna Come Over 

Love Me Down 

Just to name some. 

The dislike towards the song is not to the song itself, it's because there were better songs in the album which could have been great lead singles which would lead to have a more commercially successful era which would have led to have more singles. 

*edit: and the mv was sh1t which didnt help to increase the hype of the song. But the song itself was good. 

• Love 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block