"Make Me..." Deserves Better

I love Make Me and it's in my top 10 britney songs for sure. After so long of promising a new sound and us not getting a new sound we finally got it! I absolutely LOVED it from first listen. I dont love G Eazy and wish we had a version without it but the vibe of the song is so so great and she sounds amazing on it!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JeniLeeSK8 said:

I love Make Me and it's in my top 10 britney songs for sure. After so long of promising a new sound and us not getting a new sound we finally got it! I absolutely LOVED it from first listen. I dont love G Eazy and wish we had a version without it but the vibe of the song is so so great and she sounds amazing on it!

There is a version but not in Spotify

• Love 2
11 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I love this thread, thank you for appreciating her VISION AND PASSION 18 YEARS INTO THE BUSINESS. She keeps delivering each time, and fans not seeing that is nerve-racking to me. It was EXACTLY what we wanted and what we needed back then, and the vocals are still a SERVE. It was a time when the conversation had started to pivot towards Britney doing "always the same", and that's the worst thing that can happen to an artist. But of course, then she didn't break any records nor got to number 1 so most fans turned on her. Disgusting. Something similar happened when "Criminal" was released, we were being heard and we even got to vote on it, but when that single didn't resonate with the GP then most fans started slandering it.
And like you said, "Glory" is the album for which we agreed the least on the potential singles because EVERYTHING IS SINGLE MATERIAL. Grab any album from any current artist and tell me if that's even possible.

I love this post! Very well said. :tysm_beyonce_thanks_wow_gratitude_love_you_ily: There does seem to be quite a few fans that will only like songs if they’re successful. 

11 hours ago, SlayOut said:

Love that we’ve stanned Make Me together on Exhale for this long! :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas:
I so remember those early days before Make Me was even released… I will never forget the low quality audio snippet that was leaked from a dance rehearsal or something. Like idk if there was video, just audio. And it was from what we’d know would be the verse leading up to the chorus.

And I remember how everyone on Exhale was like, “omg is that Britney? :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:“, “omg vocals, it’s mid tempo!” Etc. :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:
And then not long after we got the photos of Britney and G Eazy on set. And realized that a video was underway… :omgreallyney_britney_oh_omg_god_my_shocked_wow_really_in_the_zone_2003:

Ugh. Such a fun time on Exhale and as a Britney fan (despite all the things that were happening behind the scenes that we may not have all been fully aware of).

Omg yes I remember the clip! I think I thought it was fake at the time. :orangu_orangutan_ape:  I’m always very skeptical of so-called leaks. But yes, this was such a fun time! Cheers to our stanning together :cheersney_britney_flames_pink_fire:

10 hours ago, Stefani said:

Not y'all stanning Make Me when Slumber Party is right there. :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay:

Slumber Party is probably my favorite song on Glory. But people mostly seem to be positive about it, whereas I see a lot more insults on here regularly for Make Me. 

5 hours ago, GODNA IS A QUEEN said:

I respectfully disagree. The song has some great vocals, sure, and was an upgrade from the inconsistency we saw during Britney Jean but nowhere was “Make Me” a stand-out track. The song felt very disposable and forgotten upon release. The God-awful G-Eazy verse also ruined any potential the song could have had on Top 40 radio. The theme was overdone yet Britney fans keep trying to convince themselves the song was a breath of fresh air because she released a mid-tempo instead of an uptempo. Big deal. Down, mid or uptempo — the song and lyrical content (other than the vocal layering in the chorus) was nothing special and hardly had any redeeming qualities hence why the general public wasn’t here for it, simple as that. Like…second best lead? Ok jan… :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay:

Not to mention, “Make Me” doesn’t even get much hate on here. Then again, it’s Exhale and most people here aren’t quite known for their music taste. Now you want to know a song that actually gets mistreated? “Me Against the Music”. That song is pure perfection and severely underrated amongst this fanbase. 

I was waiting for you to come for my neck :messbye_britney_pink_leave_walking_running_bye_goodbye_away:

8 hours ago, 3IsACharm33 said:

make me was such a strange summer single choice.

Really? I feel like it’s perfect for summer. To me, it feels like the perfect first song to listen to when getting ready to go out on a Friday around evening/dusk.

7 hours ago, Shadow. said:

I think because glory came out the year after purpose & revival (which really made the whole chill pop/r&b sound popular on the charts in 2015) that by the time glory came out people had moved on and it just looked like an attempt to chase a hit a year too late imo

I see people say this on here a lot, but I disagree. I feel like that sound was still really strong in 2016, and that Glory was very on time for fitting in with the music of the time. Purpose and Revival both came out during 4th quarter of 2015, so a lot of the singles were being released in 2016. A lot of the songs I have saved and that were popular from 2016 have similar sounds to Glory. I’d even argue that sound of pop music from 2015-2019 was pretty consistent and similar. Chill tropical house might’ve had its peak in 2015 or 2016, but a lot of its influences and the trend of more melancholic + chill EDM pop continued on strong until the end of 2019 imo.

• Love 2

I loved Make me when it dropped as a single. I remember being shocked how clear the vocals are and that falsetto she does before the second chorus. However, I remember not feeling G-Eazy's verse (now I know it by heart lol). And as you said, the whole music video fiasco/performance didn't elevate the song at all. Unfortunately, the whole rollout does play a role. A great visual is almost paramount these days to make the song more memorable. Besides the scandal around the album cover, the original music video, the song doesn't have this iconic status outside the fan base. 

Also, I hated that they premiered the performances to Make Me and Slumber Party in Vegas. Terrible management decision as usual. And nnn at Brit lip-syncing it for the Carpool Karaoke with James. 

Let's not forget this dance number that didn't make it to the final performance. 

So yeah, sadly, it didn't live up to its potential and hype. I had more questions that sadly hindered my full enjoyment of the song and overshadowed my initial thoughts. Nonetheless, I enjoy listening to the song every now and then with a bittersweet taste in my mouth. 

• Love 3

I love Make Me... I agree that it sounded very fresh after the whole edm mess of BJ, but that's not the only reason I love it. The vocals are really good and clear, the lyrics are interesting, similar to her previous themes but more grown up. The whole sound overall is very summer-ish and breezy. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Love 3

For me it was a very bad choice for a lead single, I think this is her worst lead actually. Change Your Ming or DYWCO were way better choices. But the worst part was the video mess, this is the worst thing on her videography, it's really a shame.

I'm still hoping they would delete this awful video and replace it with the original one, even if it's simplified… like they did for the photoshoot. AND SAME FOR PERFUME WE NEED THE ORIGINAL ONE.

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block