Was 'Circus' Originally Meant To Be A 'Retro Pop' Album?

So, i believe Circus recording sessions lasted only six to eight months and we indeed have a few unreleased tracks that may suggest its original concept, such as Dangerous, This Kiss and Abroad.

Then we have other officially released tracks like Mmm Papi, Rock Me In, If You Seek Amy, Amnesia, Rock Boy and Lace & Leather.

All the tracks i've mentioned before have for sure one thing in common: retro vibes! :gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

But her team at the time had the urge to herbal to release it as soon as possibile, because y'know, the "comeback"...so they threw out there a couple of potential Blackout left-outs (Kill The Lights and Blur), recycled Radar (because why not :selenerz_selena_crying_tears_sad:), called Max Martin/Dr...well, that producer from Kemosabe Records, for a couple of 'ready-to-go" charts' bops...and that's why Circus is still nowadays to me her most inchoesive album sonically, despite beign in my Top 3 favourite of hers.

A rushed album that deserved more, tbh. :sad_britney_ftr_for_the_record:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, BoyDeChanel said:

The most annoying thing about Circus is that it is incohesive, but I'm grateful they scrapped this vibe if it was really planned because... MMM Papi... :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek: This Kiss :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

I'm definitely not going to admit on Exhale that i secretly bop to Mmm Papi like a total idi@t, sometimes. :selenerz_selena_crying_tears_sad:

Anyways yes, inchoesive at its best, and that's sad.

This Kiss deserved to be scrapped tbh, but the rest aren't that bad, imo. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

I also find very interesting that majority of stans hate songs like Mmm Papi without probably knowing that are the ones where Britney is actually credited as co-writer. :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, andreafly1 said:

I'm definitely not going to admit on Exhale that i secretly bop to Mmm Papi like a total idi@t, sometimes. :selenerz_selena_crying_tears_sad:

Anyways yes, inchoesive at its best, and that's sad.

This Kiss deserved to be scrapped tbh, but the rest aren't that bad, imo. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

I also find very interesting that majority of stans hate songs like Mmm Papi without probably knowing that are the ones where Britney is actually credited as co-writer. :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

Don't be ashamed for liking the masterpiece that is Mmm Papi :schoolingtime_talking_telling_glasses_preaching:

Our queen co-wrote it and it was her first cryptic cry for help from Team Con :schoolingtime_talking_telling_glasses_preaching:

• Love 2

Its an album full of bops from start to finish whether upbeat or mellow..its  got a pop/indie vibe to it and personally (no matter what britney was dealing with behind the scenes) managed to pull of a huge tour and an album full of potential huge hits..for me its one of the most under appreciated albums ..out from under shattered glass mannequin,  unusual you, blur,amnesia, and quicksand were all cohesive solid number one tracks for her at the time..

They could of easily released amnesia with simply footage of the circus tour like Rihanna ls 'drink to that' and it would have worked..

A ballad like out from under or quicksand would have been a great idea at the time too..

A video to blur or mannequin would have been massive 

Shattered glass as her haunting her ex ..like womanizer meets cry me a river 

Circus was a great album..brilliant even..but let's not forget its the first controlled album ..but britney put her all into it and it was good! 

We've all seen the mannequin rehearsal video 

If you seek amy was a banger..

It has a good vibe upbeat but mellow..pop but with a message..Happy yet sad..its mysterious 

I think its a good album seen as blackout is ridiculously hard to top

You could  compare blackout to the weeknds-after hours album and circus to the weeknds dawm fm album.. 

Both similar albums,  both  1 year apart but carry the sound to the next  album but more mellow.. in a traditional indie/pop sense

• Love 4
  • Like 1

I love circus and this era is when I hit full Stan level. 

I would visit her website multiple times a day, my favourite was when they'd make "get the look" type posts with her video/tour looks

I do like the album even though is one of my least listened to... there's a few tracks I rarely skip past, but most of them I'm kinda over... I do like mmm papi though and never understood the hate

Unusual you is probably my top fav off the album and I desperately wish they'd put Amnesia on streaming services

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods

To be honest I dont really like this album other than a few songs and the singles but

I know it was instrumental in her big comeback and career.

But yeah I can see why people would say its incohesive cause we went from electropop like Womanizer

to latin style like Mmm Papi to a sweet ballad like My Baby and Out From Under

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block