Which Britney album did not age well at all?

Which Britney album did not age well at all?  

503 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They all are dated. Most music will become dated as the sounds change every few years. Toxic held on the longest, since it is so different sounding, but to me that sounds dated. BO, which some call the Pop Bible, also is dated. A song can be dated, but still sound great years later. I like all her albums, but I voted all are dated.

Curious for people who say BOMT was very 90s - what did it sound like at the time?  I feel like part of what makes it special is that it actually was quite different, at least for the American pop market, which was at the time dominated by the power vocalists that used a lot of melisma (e.g. Mariah, Whitney, and Celine), as well as R&B (e.g. TLC, Boys II Men, Toni Braxton).  Boys Bands like Backstreet Boys and NSYNC had just started making their impact, but I don't think many songs from BOMT fit squarely into this pop formula - maybe "Sometimes" is similar to a Backstreet Boys hit like "As Long as You Love Me" and FTBOMBH fit right into a ballad-heavy market.

Baby One More Time changed the formula for female soloists.  The title track was the mold for the new era of pop (which Britney built upon in Oops) that took a back to basics approach with earworm melodies that aren't built just to be vocal showcases.  To me, Christina's debut could have been made by SWV in the early 90s (if you don't know them, I suggest you look them up!) and follows the tradition of the voices that overshadow the songs, but Brit's debut was standard-setting.  Robyn to me feels like the closest comparison, but I think both of them put out music that is still very listenable today.  Some of the bonus tracks like "Deep in My Heart" feel more dated with very 90s house beat, but the main tracks actually have held up very well!

• Love 3
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, filmandstage13 said:

Curious for people who say BOMT was very 90s - what did it sound like at the time?  I feel like part of what makes it special is that it actually was quite different, at least for the American pop market, which was at the time dominated by the power vocalists that used a lot of melisma (e.g. Mariah, Whitney, and Celine), as well as R&B (e.g. TLC, Boys II Men, Toni Braxton).  Boys Bands like Backstreet Boys and NSYNC had just started making their impact, but I don't think many songs from BOMT fit squarely into this pop formula - maybe "Sometimes" is similar to a Backstreet Boys hit like "As Long as You Love Me" and FTBOMBH fit right into a ballad-heavy market.

Baby One More Time changed the formula for female soloists.  The title track was the mold for the new era of pop (which Britney built upon in Oops) that took a back to basics approach with earworm melodies that aren't built just to be vocal showcases.  To me, Christina's debut could have been made by SWV in the early 90s (if you don't know them, I suggest you look them up!) and follows the tradition of the voices that overshadow the songs, but Brit's debut was standard-setting.  Robyn to me feels like the closest comparison, but I think both of them put out music that is still very listenable today.  Some of the bonus tracks like "Deep in My Heart" feel more dated with very 90s house beat, but the main tracks actually have held up very well!

Oh wow, I've never thought about it this way. Thanks for insinuating this different perspective to the sound of the album that gets dismissed even within the fandom! :kisses_britney_kiss_blow_womanizer_love_circus:2008:

• Love 4

it's interesting to hear a common thread that the early albums didn't age well. For me, "BOMT" is iconic. That record, and 'Oops' as well, frankly, don't age. They fit exactly where they're supposed to fit. 

In my opinion there's two aspects of 'aging well'. If an album is iconic, and a piece of the time it's from, age is irrelevant, because the record was a piece of the culture. That's a positive thing.  On the flip side, if the album doesn't make an impact and isn't anything special, then it's dated to it's time in a negative way. 

with that being said, I think there's only a single piece from Brit's discography that literally won't stick, and that's 'Britney Jean'. You could feel the lack of interest from Britney on that record. If I  had to really be picky, you could potentially say the same for 'Femme Fatale'. That record was released just as pop music was beginning to shift. I  love that Britney infused dance sounds like dubstep on that record, and it has some killer songs, in my humble opinion, but culturally the music landscape was shifting in 2011, and 'Femme Fatale' feels stuck right in that time frame, since it didn't have cultural impact like her earlier work. 

I still think it's flawless 😂

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Femme Fatale, I like the album but that sound was very of its time. Britney Jean to an extent too although Alien is probably the most non-dated sounding song on the album (if that makes sense?)

I feel like Baby/Oops had that teen pop sound that was very 'on trend' in the late 90s/early 2000s but they seem to have more of a 'timeless' and 'nostalgic' feel to them unlike Femme Fatale.

• Love 4

Forget the music! Femme Fatale has the darkest history! Britney was medicated (lithium?) during the FF era, especially the beginning. She had to use a body double for the TTWE music video because she couldn't execute simple non-demanding choreography. In some interviews, she sounded like she had a cold and just seemed out of it. You could tell that they were staring at her like a hawk in the background. Luckily, we'll find out exactly what they did to her in 2011. 

Britney Spears Dance GIF - Britney Spears Dance Dancing - Descubre &  Comparte GIFs

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block