EXHALE TOP 100 - Best songs of 2021: Submit your entries now! (Voting starts in November)

PokemonSpears

EXHALE TOP 100 - Best songs of 2021: Submit your entries now!  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 10/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, PokemonSpears said:

Well, so far we have 314 entries. I think we're good, we'll only wait for any releases in October and November I guess.

We have artists that have lots of entries, so we might have to do something at the time of the voting to stop them from crowding the final top. On November 1st I'll announce the process of voting with all the definitive rules.

I think I'll also start parallel to this with the weekly Top 20 either in November, or at the very latest, December, so we can start the tracking of next year's top songs.

I think the only one that needs limiting is Taylor Swift since idk why you allowed rereleases to count. They’re not new songs. If we can’t include songs from albums released in 2021 because they were released as singles in 2020 why can we include 13 year old songs just because someone decided to re-record it? :nopingout_meme:

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I think the only one that needs limiting is Taylor Swift since idk why you allowed rereleases to count. They’re not new songs. If we can’t include songs from albums released in 2021 because they were released as singles in 2020 why can we include 13 year old songs just because someone decided to re-record it? :nopingout_meme:

because they're technically new songs :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

It's as if they were remixes or acoustic versions, or "2021" versions. That's why I also included the demos from the Spice Girls, or RBD live versions.

If Britney re-recorded Oops and released it this year, I wouldn't consider that song a 2000 song, but a 2021 one, because it's a new rendition. On the opposite, I'm not counting the Glory tracks re-released in December 2020, because those were exactly the same from 2016 (except for the new tracks).

I can limit the amount of votes per artist, but there are other artists that also have several entries, like Kacey Musgraves, Olivia Rodrigo, Doja Cat, etc. so where to put the limit, 5, 6, 10?

If you're voting for 100 songs, I think it's ok if you vote 10 songs by the same artist, for example, because you're voting many others too, but if you're only voting for 20 and half of them or all of them are the same artist, that's not ok.

So what I'm thinking is that you won't be able to vote for same artist more than two songs in a row. For example, if they wanna vote 10 Taylor songs, they're gonna have to vote for at least 9 other artists, and they can't be at the bottom, but intercalated, i.e:

1. Taylor song 1
  2. Taylor song 2
  3. Doja Cat
  4. Taylor song 3
  5. Taylor song 4
  6. Camila Cabello

and so on. Or we could even make it more extreme, by not having even two artists in a row:

1. Taylor song 1
  2. Doja Cat
  3. Taylor song 2
  4. Camila Cabello
  5. Taylor song 3
  6. Ariana Grande
  7. Taylor song 4
  8. Doja Cat

the position of the songs is what really will make a difference when we count everyone's votes. But that's why I need everyone to vote for the most songs possible.

I'm planning to listen to all of the entries to come up with my Top 100. If everyone votes different, my votes will end up shaping most of the top :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: So I advise everyone to at least vote for 50 or so.

3 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Her power :melt_weird_drift_wow:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

because they're technically new songs :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

It's as if they were remixes or acoustic versions, or "2021" versions. That's why I also included the demos from the Spice Girls, or RBD live versions.

If Britney re-recorded Oops and released it this year, I wouldn't consider that song a 2000 song, but a 2021 one, because it's a new rendition. On the opposite, I'm not counting the Glory tracks re-released in December 2020, because those were exactly the same from 2016 (except for the new tracks).

I can limit the amount of votes per artist, but there are other artists that also have several entries, like Kacey Musgraves, Olivia Rodrigo, Doja Cat, etc. so where to put the limit, 5, 6, 10?

If you're voting for 100 songs, I think it's ok if you vote 10 songs by the same artist, for example, because you're voting many others too, but if you're only voting for 20 and half of them or all of them are the same artist, that's not ok.

So what I'm thinking is that you won't be able to vote for same artist more than two songs in a row. For example, if they wanna vote 10 Taylor songs, they're gonna have to vote for at least 9 other artists, and they can't be at the bottom, but intercalated, i.e:

1. Taylor song 1
  2. Taylor song 2
  3. Doja Cat
  4. Taylor song 3
  5. Taylor song 4
  6. Camila Cabello

and so on. Or we could even make it more extreme, by not having even two artists in a row:

1. Taylor song 1
  2. Doja Cat
  3. Taylor song 2
  4. Camila Cabello
  5. Taylor song 3
  6. Ariana Grande
  7. Taylor song 4
  8. Doja Cat

the position of the songs is what really will make a difference when we count everyone's votes. But that's why I need everyone to vote for the most songs possible.

I'm planning to listen to all of the entries to come up with my Top 100. If everyone votes different, my votes will end up shaping most of the top :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: So I advise everyone to at least vote for 50 or so.

I just thought you were thinking about cutting Dua Lipa songs and I am not here for that :gunney:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I just thought you were thinking about cutting Dua Lipa songs and I am not here for that :gunney:

I have trust that, since most people are gonna put different songs in their top positions, that's gonna push most Taylor songs out of the top, unless there are several Taylor fans voting for different songs.

But that's the catch too, if they all vote for different songs, they're not gonna rank high, as opposed to only focusing on the best ones, so I guess in the end only the most liked songs are gonna place in a relevant position. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Anyways, in the extreme case that Taylor or any other artist dominates the top with lots and lots of songs, I'm gonna have to pull a Time 100 and be like "y'all voted for this, but here's our editors' picks" :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

14 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I have trust that, since most people are gonna put different songs in their top positions, that's gonna push most Taylor songs out of the top, unless there are several Taylor fans voting for different songs.

But that's the catch too, if they all vote for different songs, they're not gonna rank high, as opposed to only focusing on the best ones, so I guess in the end only the most liked songs are gonna place in a relevant position. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Anyways, in the extreme case that Taylor or any other artist dominates the top with lots and lots of songs, I'm gonna have to pull a Time 100 and be like "y'all voted for this, but here's our editors' picks" :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

But you’re including FOUR Taylor albums. You have to limit that. Everyone else is fair game considering they only released one album or a couple of singles 

2 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

But you’re including FOUR Taylor albums. You have to limit that. Everyone else is fair game considering they only released one album or a couple of singles 

four albums? :ohdear_britney_glory_dear,_fingers_hand_face_orange_hide_uh_oh:

I mean, I get what you're saying, and I don't like Taylor Swift either, but if she released that much, then why it won't be eligible? Like based on what do I say "this album counts, and this doesn't, or these songs count, but the others don't" if that's all the material she wanted to release this year. The real question is if Taylor can re-record and release that many songs, then why those artists that released just a couple of singles didn't release more stuff this year? :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

There's a bit more than 30 Taylor songs so far, out of more than 300. I really doubt all of them will make the top, unless everyone is voting for Taylor. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

7 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

four albums? :ohdear_britney_glory_dear,_fingers_hand_face_orange_hide_uh_oh:

I mean, I get what you're saying, and I don't like Taylor Swift either, but if she released that much, then why it won't be eligible? Like based on what do I say "this album counts, and this doesn't, or these songs count, but the others don't" if that's all the material she wanted to release this year. The real question is if Taylor can re-record and release that many songs, then why those artists that released just a couple of singles didn't release more stuff this year? :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

There's a bit more than 30 Taylor songs so far, out of more than 300. I really doubt all of them will make the top, unless everyone is voting for Taylor. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

But you’re contradicting yourself since you’re saying you want to limit entries. I say the damage has been done by people submitting their entries. At this point they should all be allowed to be voted on :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

16 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

But you’re contradicting yourself since you’re saying you want to limit entries. I say the damage has been done by people submitting their entries. At this point they should all be allowed to be voted on :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

well, at first that was the idea, to limit the entries, but I didn't know how many people would participate, so if the few interested users just submitted a few songs, we wouldn't even had the 100 needed for the top.

Actually the original idea was for everyone to submit their own Top 100 and take the results from there, but if everyone submitted 100 different songs, then that would've been even messier. Besides the fact that apparently no one has enough songs they've liked this year, or are too lazy to put such a long list.

So now that we're limiting the pool, even if there's still many songs, that's better than just having everyone submit their random votes.

What I need to do is to force people to vote not just for what they suggested, but also for those that are not precisely their favorites. If you wanna push your favorite artist's 30 songs, you'll have to vote for another 30 songs too, and in higher positions. Or if you only liked a few songs and want to vote, you'll have to add as many as you're missing to complete the minimum required (20 or 30 songs).

So it doesn't really matter if there are 30 suggested Taylor songs, if only one person or couple of people vote for all of them, it shouldn't be enough to make the list, because again, in order to do this, they would have to also give their votes to other songs, increasing their score. Only those selected songs that appear in other people's lists too will make the top.

It's a very flawed system, I know, but I needed people to suggest songs, and to be willing to vote at the same time. This should be fixed with the Top 20 I'm planning for next year. There, the entries will be limited to 1 song per artist at a time (each week), maybe max 2 depending on the demand, and so throughout the year even if the artist releases 2 or 3 albums, only a few songs will be able to compete, unless the fans deliberately vote for different songs each week, but that would make them rank lower in the year-end chart.

The challenge with this will be to make people vote weekly lol but I'm planning on doing a system similar to that of Mario Kart and such, where it counts the accumulated points from last week, so if in a given week no one votes, the top will just repeat itself, or only those that receive extra points will change their position, but I'll explain that later. The songs also get retired after a period of time, like TRL.

• Like 1

I’d also like to submit:

Lady Gaga - Do I Love You

Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett - I’ve Got You Under My Skin

Skylar Grey, Polo G, Mozzy and Eminem - Last One Standing

Sugababes - Girls Nite Out

Sugababes - Little Lady Love (original version)

Sugababes - All Around the World

Well I’m not 100% sure about the Sugababes one. They were previously unreleased songs recorded for an album originally released in 2000 but they have since been given an official release for the album’s (one-year delay) 20th anniversary. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, boyinthemirror said:

Sometimes (Demo) - Sugababes
Girls' Nite Out (Demo) - Sugababes

2 hours ago, Isla said:

Sugababes - Girls Nite Out

Sugababes - Little Lady Love (original version)

Sugababes - All Around the World

So I'm confused about these, and Wikipedia isn't very helpful lol

What Wikipedia says is that the anniversary edition contains 2 discs, 1 with all the tracks and b sides, and the disc 2 with new remixes or previously unreleased tracks. That makes only Little Lady Love and All Around the World count as "new".

But Sometimes and Girls' Nite Out appear on the disc 1. Were these songs truly unreleased, as in, they weren't even B sides before?

2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

So I'm confused about these, and Wikipedia isn't very helpful lol

What Wikipedia says is that the anniversary edition contains 2 discs, 1 with all the tracks and b sides, and the disc 2 with new remixes or previously unreleased tracks. That makes only Little Lady Love and All Around the World count as "new".

But Sometimes and Girls' Nite Out appear on the disc 1. Were these songs truly unreleased, as in, they weren't even B sides before?

Yep they were 100% unreleased :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus: Sometimes apparently leaked years ago but was never officially released until now. On the other hand, Little Lady Love (About 2 Remix), Sugababes on the Run, Forever and Don't Wanna Wait were B-Sides. 

• Like 2