Creative team of I'm A Slave 4 U performance quoted it was Britney's Idea.

Moscow

32 minutes ago, britney_rocks said:

I just had an argument with some Aaliyah Stan about this yesterday, who is still sending me messages saying how the whole Britney VMA’s snake was like a homage to Aaliyah. I can’t. 

Britney’s is likely based off Salma Hayek’s Dusk till Dawn scene, whereas aaliyahs does not involve her putting it around her neck. She did however show up to TRL with a snake form Barry 

3 hours ago, boyinthemirror said:

Some people say Aaliyah was supposed to perform We Need a Resolution that year and with snakes too, but she died like a week and a half before the VMAs aired. How true is that? Does anyone know or was old enough when this happened?

No, it's not true. Aaliyah was supposed to present the award, not perform (https://www.mtv.com/news/1447873/jay-z-linkin-park-performing-bsb-presenting-at-vmas/). Plus Britney's performance was in development for several weeks before the VMA was aired.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, DuranDuran said:

No, it's not true. Aaliyah was supposed to present the award, not perform. Plus Britney's performance was in development for several weeks before the VMA was aired.

The video for Aaliyah’s We Need a Resolution was released in April 22nd, many couldn’t help but saying these things. Especially since she just died.

giphy.gif
snake around her neck & similar outfit

I love them both really but Aaliyah was all about snakes. She brought her pet snake to TRL and she just loved them, unlike Britney who thinks her Slave performance was such a crazy thing to do… Anyway idk why I’m arguing about it so much since I don’t like how animals are/were used in the entertainment industry at all. :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

How has this thread turned into an Aaliyah conversation, and how can we not see the snakes just as a simple inspiration and that's it? Of course Aaliyah's fans blew that out of proportion because their fave had just died, but let's not get overboard. Everybody takes inspiration from everybody, but that's not a reason to undermine anyone's work. Also, it's not just the yellow python that made it an iconic presentation, it was Britney's whole performance, she's amazing on stage and she proved it in every second there.

• Haha 1
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, boyinthemirror said:

The video for Aaliyah’s We Need a Resolution was released in April 22nd, many couldn’t help but saying these things. Especially since she just died.

giphy.gif

I love them both really but Aaliyah was all about snakes. She brought her pet snake to TRL and she just loved them, unlike Britney who thinks her Slave performance was such a crazy thing to do… Anyway idk why I’m arguing about it so much since I don’t like how animals are/were used in the entertainment industry at all. :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

Dunno... But neither Britney nor Aaliyah was the first to use snakes. Many have done it before them:

7 minutes ago, DuranDuran said:

Dunno... But neither Britney nor Aaliyah was the first to use snakes. Many have done it before them:

I agree. And even this snake looks way more similar than the one Aaliyah used. I was just asking a question and then people kept quoting me just because Aaliyah is my pfp. I already knew the answer to my question many posts ago so I hope they stop and don’t derail the thread even more. I’m outta here :sickofu_britney_blinking_umm_wtf_confused_annoyed:

2 hours ago, boyinthemirror said:

giphy.gif

I can’t believe u support animals being used in the  industry….  :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud: @Peta

1 hour ago, DuranDuran said:

1 hour ago, bitbitboi said:

How has this thread turned into an Aaliyah conversation, and how can we not see the snakes just as a simple inspiration and that's it? Of course Aaliyah's fans blew that out of proportion because their fave had just died, but let's not get overboard. Everybody takes inspiration from everybody, but that's not a reason to undermine anyone's work. Also, it's not just the yellow python that made it an iconic presentation, it was Britney's whole performance, she's amazing on stage and she proved it in every second there. @Brat

You guys need to CHECK OUT MY DOCUMENTERY ON AALIYAH

AND THE VMAS COVERAGE IS AT 42:00 MINUTES

• Love 1
9 hours ago, boyinthemirror said:

giphy.gif

Wayyy to take the spotlight from Britney. . .I love  Aaliyah but it wouldn't have been as iconic had she done it. Let's be real, Britney burst on the scene. Aaliyah was popular but not to Britneys level, the snakes AND tigers weren't the only thing that made this performance so iconic.  It shocked the world when she did this performance because it was unexpected,  and extremely ***ual at the time. She was the most famous person in the world at the time.  So, regardless . . .even if aaliyah did perform with snakes it wouldn't have been as controversial 🤷‍♂️