Bill to allow conservartees to hire own lawyer is DENIED

This is so corrupt and I honestly want to just cry for our girl. How do these people sleep at night? Britney is such an incredible, smart person and she does NOT need a conservatorship. It is all just corrupt. I honestly want to leave America and I may do so in the future.

6 hours ago, Samsung44 said:

What if Britney moves abroad? :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

If she moves outside the country they would have no say and she would be free, but there's a huge problem. She would have to literally escape and flee the country but I don't think she would because of her boys. I also don't know how she would get access to her money if she moved and she would probably never be able to come to the US again or she would just be trapped once again. It's so sad.

This is literally a nightmare and I wish we had fought hard back in 2008. Many of us fans (including Jordan) knew this c-ship was corrupt and were against it from the start. I guess I thought it would end soon, I'm sure Britney did too. They kept putting in the press that they were thinking of ending it and stuff. Now I know it was just to shut fans up, they never intend to end this. We keep fighting..

We need to analyze this carefully. Based on what Ive read the bill intented to make sure all cases where a conservatee or possible conservatee proposed a counsel, the judge would have to accept that counsel. I think there might be cases like extreme cases of schizophrenia or someone in a state of mania where that person might not be perfectly sane to appoint their own counsel. However even in those cases the idea should be to make sure the conservatees manage to get well enough to be able to make their own decisions (instead of just keeping them under the system so some people can make money).

Another issue is that there is too much discretion when deciding who can and cant appoint their own lawyer. Britney was doing a TV show a month after her conservatorship was put in place. Clearly this is someone who capable of appointing their own counsel or else she wouldnt be able to do such demaning work so quickly. The law should try to restrict and not completely overhaul the right of the court to appoint counsel.

Imo this is the argument we should be making before the legislative.

• Like 1