What is the perfect album length in your opinion?

3 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Also, "bonus tracks" or standard/deluxe editions should not exist at this point in life, unless it's a re-issue or a very exclusive deal with a store or whatever, but the standard should always be just all the songs they're planning to release for that album.

I disagree. I like for different countries to get different songs specifically for them. One for Germany, one for Italy, Japan, Russia etc. Because you can listen to them all on youtube anyway. Maybe i am old fashioned but i like a bit of specials. Makes the album less one dimensional imo. More faceted. 

9 minutes ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

I disagree. I like for different countries to get different songs specifically for them. One for Germany, one for Italy, Japan, Russia etc. Because you can listen to them all on youtube anyway. Maybe i am old fashioned but i like a bit of specials. Makes the album less one dimensional imo. More faceted. 

that I may understand, but for example Glory which had the standard edition, then there was the deluxe edition tracks, which weren't exclusive to any country (Better, Change Your Mind, Liar, If I'm Dancing, Coupure Électrique) it was like, what's the point of that, instead of just releasing one edition with all of those tracks?

And not just because of how pointless it is, but also usually those bonus tracks, at least when it comes to Britney, are some of the best songs on the album, and they always get left out of the critics' reviews because they don't do bonus tracks (most of the times).

I think the deluxe versions were a way to raise album sales and profits when it wasn't all about the streaming yet (2009 - 2016) but album sales were getting lower and lower. Deluxe editions costed slightly more than standard ones when in fact it special editions were not much more expensive to make than standard ones. Also, the know some fans would buy all versions simply because the deluxe version has a different album cover or different lettering. For Brenda Jones, team B decided to just make the cover black and white for the deluxe album version :D  . Many times though, the deluxe track are better than most of the standard tracks (Femme Fatale, Glory, Bionic (Some deluxe tracks made most of the standard edition sound like a filler)

• Like 1

14 songs with 50 - 60 minutes please.

1 hour ago, Crabo Lavender Turmeric said:

I think the deluxe versions were a way to raise album sales and profits when it wasn't all about the streaming yet (2009 - 2016) but album sales were getting lower and lower. Deluxe editions costed slightly more than standard ones when in fact it special editions were not much more expensive to make than standard ones. Also, the know some fans would buy all versions simply because the deluxe version has a different album cover or different lettering. For Brenda Jones, team B decided to just make the cover black and white for the deluxe album version :D  . Many times though, the deluxe track are better than most of the standard tracks (Femme Fatale, Glory, Bionic (Some deluxe tracks made most of the standard edition sound like a filler)

I think Deluxes were not only made to get more money but some artists have to buy the extra songs so they do it to bring out the songs they want to be heard.

Do the new generations even know what an album is? An album is a compilation around an idea or a sound or a look or a vibe or whatever, but cohesive. It needs to easily distinguish one era from another. But now artists focus only on singles, so everything is so random and disconnected that the stories tend to be short and superficial.

So having that in mind, an idea or a mood takes longer than just 25 minutes. That's for sure. I'm from the times when albums lasted 60-70 minutes, so once you pressed play... you were in for a ride.

Also, I feel like artists (and people) used to pay much more attention to each album because it took a lot of time to make, release and promote them, with album cycles of around 3 years, so each record had to keep us fed and interested for quite some time. But now songs and videos come out fast and end up being disposable. That's so sad.

• Like 2
On 5/16/2021 at 6:32 PM, Crabo Lavender Turmeric said:

Do you think 35-40 something minutes is enough or do you prefer longer albums (50-80 minutes)?

Sorry,but 35-40 min is an EP not an Album.

50-80 min are perfekt, but I also love albums which a longer like Stripped or Dangerously in Love.But I think, nowadays nearly no one takes time to discover a whole album, give the song a second or even more chances you don´t like for the first hearing. An album is nowadays something like waste which I find sad.

50-65 minutes long!

I love classic albums with good 12-16 tracks with a hour long run time.

The perfect one is Madonna’s Confessions with bonus track Fighting Spirit and Superpop or Natalie Imbruglia’s Counting Down The Days with Flirting track

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block