What is the perfect album length in your opinion?

50+ is stretching it, and I've noticed that I tend to listen to longer albums less even if I love them. Because of K-Pop, I'm so used to mini albums/EPs that I'm actually starting to prefer the 5-8 song format with a runtime of about 15-30 minutes. More consistency, less filler, not as time consuming, etc. :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes: I especially hate repackages that make already lengthy albums even longer. For example, Halcyon Days by Ellie Goulding, which I love but don't really listen to because it's like 90 minutes long. I also delete 99% of remixes and acoustic/alternate versions to make albums shorter. :bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

• Love 1

they have to be huuuge

you see the current Glory tracklist after the reissues?

76 minutes :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

I mean, in theory, CD's were supposed to hold around 74 minutes, but now that everything is digital, the limit should not exist.

Britney Jean is 50 minutes long. I used to listen to it every day on may way to college, and I thought that was a short one, because from the moment I hit play while on the taxi, to the moment my first class started, I would've already finished it or I would be at the second to last song or so. It went by so quickly.

With this trend of releasing songs that are less than 3 minutes long, then there's no excuse for them not to release more songs. I feel like it's such a waste to release so little or stuff that is so short. Like, they still have to pay the production of the track, they have to pay the songwriters, if they make a music video, they have to spend on that too, only for it to be like 2:40 long? :gross_britney_ew_sick_red_sunglasses_cringe_disgusted:

Same with an album, it's like, if someone is releasing an album with 10-12 tracks that are all around 3 minutes long, they better keep it, it's like, why even bother

@Roxxy would always say she only listen to the albums in full, in the exact same order the tracklist is. I'm all the opposite, I like to pick just a few songs, or scramble them, or mix them with older songs, or sometimes I'm not in the mood to listen to a particular song, so I'll skip it, but I want to still have something else to enjoy.

And it depends a lot on the song, for example Shattered Glass is 2:52, and many people complained back then that it was too short, but to me it doesn't feel that short, because of its structure, and also because there are so many other tracks on Circus, that it's ok.

At the end I'd rather have just more songs in general, whether they're all less than 3 min long, but just to feel like I have plenty to choose from, so I'd say 15+ tracks, than have for example songs that are longer than 4 min, but just 10 tracks per album

• Love 3

40 to 50 minutes.

However, the running time of album's tracks plays a huge part on my listen, so I prefer each of them should be more than 3 minutes with standard track-listing of 13 to 15 songs. I personally don't like albums with more than 15 tracks, because that might too stretch out and probably has more fillers. That's why sometimes, reissue and deluxe editions are important.

Nothing irritates me more on an album when you see it has 10-12 tracks but barely clears 35 minutes runtime. It's lazy, it's greedy. I believe that with the streaming era, they purposely cut songs short in the hopes that it leaves you wanting more and you are more likely to replay it. That's messed up. I like to settle into a song. Like, that's your art. Shouldn't you be making as much an impact as possible with it? Perfect song length is like 3.5 - 4 minutes, depending on the song/genre. These 2.5 minute songs are just so annoying. I love instrumentals and they completely wipe that out, along with decent bridges and hooks. I prefer to have albums at 45-50 minute marks with 10+ tracks. 

• Love 3

My favourite albums are usually 10-14 tracks and 50:00 length tops, except Madonna’s albums, which are a little longer.

So, I guess that would be the perfect length. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

Honestly, I really don’t like this new trend of making way too short tracks just because that’s how the younger generation are currently consuming music.

Where’s the intro, the pre-chorus, the proper bridge, the outro? A lot of people still value that.

And it’s such a shame older artists have had to stick to the new formula to stay relevant. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, aleomg said:

My favourite albums are usually 10-14 tracks and 50:00 length tops, except Madonna’s albums, which are a little longer.

So, I guess that would be the perfect length. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

Honestly, I really don’t like this new trend of making way too short tracks just because that’s how the younger generation are currently consuming music.

Where’s the intro, the pre-chorus, the proper bridge, the outro? A lot of people still value that.

And it’s such a shame older artists have had to stick to the new formula to stay relevant. 

it's so cheap, it's like releasing a book with 10 pages or a movie that lasts half an hour

• Love 2

It's not about quantity but quality :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod:. If it's quality then i'd prefer 12 songs + 8 bonus tracks :rlynow_britney_really_clasped_um_ok_seriously:.

That roughly equals 60 minutes. I'd much rather listen to a good album for 60 minutes than watch one episode of the show 60 Minutes.

If there is no quality then scrap the entire thing :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:.

Btw I think Blackout have a good length for an album britney spears blackout GIF.  

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

It's not about quantity but quality :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod:. If it's quality then i'd prefer 12 songs + 8 bonus tracks :rlynow_britney_really_clasped_um_ok_seriously:.

That roughly equals 60 minutes. I'd much rather listen to a good album for 60 minutes than watch one episode of the show 60 Minutes.

If there is no quality then scrap the entire thing :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:.

Btw I think Blackout have a good length for an album britney spears blackout GIF.  

the difference with a movie, or a show or something like that, you usually have to watch the full thing to make it make sense, but an album gives you the chance to enjoy it in parts. You can listen to the album from beginning to end, or you can just go and pick your favorite songs, or a particular song, or skip one you don't like or don't feel like listening that day, or scramble the order, etc. So making a short album, as good as the "quality" is, it's such a waste, so limiting and frustrating, especially because most artists are not releasing new albums every year.

And as I said on another comment, before there was the limit of the physical format, how much they could put in a vinyl, or a tape or a CD, but in the digital era, the limit does not exist. If it's for the "replayability", ok, make your 2 min songs, but then give me AT LEAST 20 songs like that, and that would still be just 40 minutes. Also, "bonus tracks" or standard/deluxe editions should not exist at this point in life, unless it's a re-issue or a very exclusive deal with a store or whatever, but the standard should always be just all the songs they're planning to release for that album.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block