With Reference to the C-Ship: How would it have turned out if Britney nailed the 2007 VMAs.

FemmeFataleBrit

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's so funny, looking back on it i remember this flood of bad press, kicking her while she was down and ultimately, pushing the notion she was unstable... the gp was already against her.

BUT in all reality it really wasn't a bad performance. the worst part of her look was her hair, put that aside, i saw pictures of the performance recently and thought the pictures were photoshopped and as it turns out, they weren't. her body looked great, her dancing, and steps were pretty solid. her makeup was great. maybe the performance wasn't up to par of what was expected of britney back in the day, but they wanted her to be percieved in a negative way. There was nothing she could've done to nail the performance, people were already rooting against her from the get go. She failed before she even went out on stage. they wanted her destroyed: shame on mtv tbh, shame on everyone involved, shame on sarah silverman, and honestly shame on the gp...

tbh, she probably shouldn't of done it... but with the recent news (on the sarah silverman podcast) that the magician (whatever his name is) pulled out a day before, i think? she made it work and did a damn good job doing so. she did her best at the time. and i still stand by it is 100% better than what the pop girls were doing then (besides gaga bc credit is due) and are definitely doing now.

I remember about 6 years ago having coffee with a friend of mine and somehow got onto this performance. It was a time when I wasn't checking for britney.. 

We were remenising of this disaster of a show and how terrible it was, how she was spaced out etc so I go to YouTube to look for it and to play it for us.. I was so confused watching it because It wasn't bad like I remember. She was nervous and wasn't as high energy as her usual, but It had some good/sharp moments. It really made me realise the power of the media in influencing peoples opinions. 

Something I have noticed from listening to Podcasts lately is that people really bought into Britney's persona and pop image. I never bought into it, I always saw the girl behind the image even when I was a 9-year-old kid. I wasn't shocked when the VMA performance turned out to be the way it did, I was just anxious for her. As a matter of fact, I messed up in theater class the next day because our theater teacher was talking bad about Britney and I refused to do a good job in class that day. LOL If it had turned out to be a more loved performance then I think maybe Britney would have toured in early 2008 or something. IDK. It's hard to really determine. Maybe the media would have went even harder on her? IDK. I don't know that it would have made a difference with the public but I am curious about what the discussion was at the record label the next day. 

59 minutes ago, rosenotes said:

it's so funny, looking back on it i remember this flood of bad press, kicking her while she was down and ultimately, pushing the notion she was unstable... the gp was already against her.

BUT in all reality it really wasn't a bad performance. the worst part of her look was her hair, put that aside, i saw pictures of the performance recently and thought the pictures were photoshopped and as it turns out, they weren't. her body looked great, her dancing, and steps were pretty solid. her makeup was great. maybe the performance wasn't up to par of what was expected of britney back in the day, but they wanted her to be percieved in a negative way. There was nothing she could've done to nail the performance, people were already rooting against her from the get go. She failed before she even went out on stage. they wanted her destroyed: shame on mtv tbh, shame on everyone involved, shame on sarah silverman, and honestly shame on the gp...

tbh, she probably shouldn't of done it... but with the recent news (on the sarah silverman podcast) that the magician (whatever his name is) pulled out a day before, i think? she made it work and did a damn good job doing so. she did her best at the time. and i still stand by it is 100% better than what the pop girls were doing then (besides gaga bc credit is due) and are definitely doing now.

I remember being on forums back then and the fanbase was nervous because we hadn't seen pictures of her going to rehearse much and then we did see some rehearsals going on with like circus-inspired stuff and people on stilts but none of this was in the VMA performance. It was a weird time and I vaguely remember it but I know the fanbase was super nervous. Then when the pictures of Paris and her partying with Diddy came up the day before the VMA, we were all so nervous but figured Britney had it all figured out. 

But am I the only one who finds actually the VMA 2007 is actually better than any other Gimme More performance (or even the majority of her 2011+ performances) she did after?? :yesokay_britney_blush_blink:

I know it’s a little off-topic but interesting to discuss, I don’t find it as bad as people usued to say, people was just expecting for a more energetic performance. The rehearsal was almost the same, I even find the final performance was more finished and complete as the rehearsal misses some elements and that hat which don’t let Britney performing correctly.

So if Britney remake the same performance by improving the choreography with slightly more energy and precision (as her newest performances), it would be one of her best performance of 2010s.

The fact that she won’t remake it is due to her hating that performance because of how people laughed at her, she might be scared of being judged again, it’s just psychological in my opinion, because Britney can still dance perfectly. Because the VMA 2007 is the one of the last performances since 2011 where she is performing with a complete choreography, without walking around and make random arms moves.

I don’t really think the VMA performance has a direct relation with the conservatorship.

Looking back, the performance wasn't that bad. I guess people back then were so used to see her kill it on stage, that when she wasn't 100% percent it was almost shocking. 

These days we are so used to see half ***ed performances that the 2007 VMA seems like a good one to us.

I feel like the performance was like a cherry on top, she was already seen as unstable/crazy ect, and when she seemed to have lost her talent of dancing aswell, that was just the nail in the coffin for her.

2 hours ago, jordeezy said:

Something I have noticed from listening to Podcasts lately is that people really bought into Britney's persona and pop image. I never bought into it, I always saw the girl behind the image even when I was a 9-year-old kid. I wasn't shocked when the VMA performance turned out to be the way it did, I was just anxious for her. As a matter of fact, I messed up in theater class the next day because our theater teacher was talking bad about Britney and I refused to do a good job in class that day. LOL If it had turned out to be a more loved performance then I think maybe Britney would have toured in early 2008 or something. IDK. It's hard to really determine. Maybe the media would have went even harder on her? IDK. I don't know that it would have made a difference with the public but I am curious about what the discussion was at the record label the next day. 

This is exactly what makes us fans I think. I never bought into any of that either and it didn’t matter to me if she was a virgin, if she was with Justin or if she ultimately had mental health issues. A lot of these podcast hosts who claim to be big fans speak about her like my cousins who were fans at the time do. 

I was not aware of that time about the portrayal of Britney as crazy by media since i was very little but now i know that it is an iconic show in a bad way. When i watched it recently i noticed that she looked nervous and she didnt feel the movements, forgot some moves, looked clumsy etc. I think that show definitely forced people to believe that Brit was totally crazy

3 hours ago, jordeezy said:

totally! while she was the most popular pop star on the planet at the time and all the locals were exposed to her videos, performances, etc. I feel like only the true fans were in tune with her humanity/weirdness behind the perfect pop persona... which made 2007/blackout era less shocking.

and tbh her performance holds up to this day and is not as bad as everyone remembers it. but I remember it took me a few years to revisit it on youtube b/c the media noise made it seem worse than it was

I think it's iconic that her hair and the choreo is a little messy. it's the perfectly imperfect beautiful artifact from the Blackout era. it's all part of it.:cigney_britney_smoking_smoke_lit_light_2007_fur_cigarette:

lol at the story about you in theater class, so cute.

2 minutes ago, femmepop said:

totally! while she was the most popular pop star on the planet at the time and all the locals were exposed to her videos, performances, etc. I feel like only the true fans were in tune with her humanity/weirdness behind the perfect pop persona... which made 2007/blackout era less shocking.

and tbh her performance holds up to this day and is not as bad as everyone remembers it. but I remember it took me a few years to revisit it on youtube b/c the media noise made it seem worse than it was

I think it's iconic that her hair and the choreo is a little messy. it's the perfectly imperfect beautiful artifact from the Blackout era. it's all part of it.:cigney_britney_smoking_smoke_lit_light_2007_fur_cigarette:

lol at the story about you in theater class, so cute.

I watched the performance live and it made me so anxious. I knew people were going to be harsh because of how hyped it was. 

I think it’s perfect. I think Gimme More and the rest of Blackout were a giant **** you to the media and world. People called her a ******** for years and a bad role model for little girls. Her theme was ********. She was taking her power back and saying that **** couldn’t hurt her anymore so I’m sure it hurt when she was laughed at. She still danced but with such ease as if it was something she could do in her sleep and didn’t have to prove anymore. The hair was so unfitting but perfectly fitting for the performance. Everything about her that we judged or talked about did a 180 on stage that night and the song itself gives that away. They want more? I’ll give em more. It’s iconic because it was sooo unexpected. It’s a great performance and I think it was intentional. 

Archived