Trademarking "Free Britney" (New BreatheHeavy Video!)

• Leader
2 hours ago, Busybee said:

This was interesting. My question after hearing what the trademark lawyer said is ultimately if team con wants to trademark this can they? Since they are technically "her consent" under the conservatorship. Wouldnt they be able to get that passed?

Yea this is what I took away from that, too :/ If they want to, they can and fans can't. And because Britney's dad can act as her legally... I'm under the impression he could theoretically get this. That would create such an even bigger **** storm for him if he did 

• Like 1
  • Leader
3 hours ago, s&m said:

Wasn't that guy Kevin? :umomg_britney_shocked_wow_omg_surprised_eyes_wide:

No not at all. 

I recall he tried trademarking FreeBritneyLA.

Although it's only two letters "LA," that changes things big time. It's one thing to trademark FreeBritneyLA, whatever the intention is (to protect their social media accounts for instance), it's another to trademark "Free Britney" which has far wider reach across an entire community of millions of people. 🙏 

However, I suspect Kevin will run into a very similar issue with trying to trademark FreeBritneyLA and it won't be passed because it is clearly referencing Britney Spears. 

I respect Kevin and have had only good interactions with him, so I felt it was important for me to clarify. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

No not at all. 

I recall he tried trademarking FreeBritneyLA.

Although it's only two letters "LA," that changes things big time. It's one thing to trademark FreeBritneyLA, whatever the intention is (to protect their social media accounts for instance), it's another to trademark "Free Britney" which has far wider reach across an entire community of millions of people. 🙏 

However, I suspect Kevin will run into a very similar issue with trying to trademark FreeBritneyLA and it won't be passed because it is clearly referencing Britney Spears. 

I respect Kevin and have had only good interactions with him, so I felt it was important for me to clarify. 

So how is this different? :watrusayin_britney_xfactor_confused_shocked_surprised_um_what:

3 minutes ago, BritneyFanatic2014 said:

Maybe im wrong but i dont think the phrase Free Britney could never be trademarked. Trademarks need to relate to something commercial which this phrase is not. Also, becasue it reference Britney, so obviously, it would need her approval, and in this sitation that would be her conservators, who are unlikely to do that haha. 

Oh i clearly didn't read any other comment as i see this has been covered lol

• Leader
2 minutes ago, s&m said:

So how is this different? :watrusayin_britney_xfactor_confused_shocked_surprised_um_what:

I think on the surface it could appear the same, but I don't view it that way. Trademarking FreeBritneyLA seems more like buying a domain name like freebritneyla.com. 

The term Free Britney is internationally known and used. FBLA is essentially a spin-off of that which is inherently far less wide-reaching. 

It could still become problematic down the road if he tries to make merch because it's Britney's name. This is where things start to get into a bit of a gray area. 

I do see the similarities, but idk there's a big difference (to me) between FB and FBLA 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

I think on the surface it could appear the same, but I don't view it that way. Trademarking FreeBritneyLA seems more like buying a domain name like freebritneyla.com. 

The term Free Britney is internationally known and used. FBLA is essentially a spin-off of that which is inherently far less wide-reaching. 

It could still become problematic down the road if he tries to make merch because it's Britney's name. This is where things start to get into a bit of a gray area. 

I do see the similarities, but idk there's a big difference (to me) between FB and FBLA 

Hmmm ok :makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao:

4 hours ago, s&m said:

Wasn't that guy Kevin? :umomg_britney_shocked_wow_omg_surprised_eyes_wide:

Correction, the comments regarding “being popular” were about the guy you mentioned- I read about the trademark he had when those DMs leaked and I didn’t realize he trademarked “FREEBRITNEY LA” (which is still cringeworthy) & not the actual phrase “FREEBRITNEY” (the trademark owner isn’t a secret...Lou tried suing him). I won’t link to the tweet but type in FREEBRITNEY TRADEMARK on twitter & “trademark trader” tweeted about it 3 days ago..

10 minutes ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

Correction, the comments regarding “being popular” were about the guy you mentioned- I read about the trademark he had when those DMs leaked and I didn’t realize he trademarked “FREEBRITNEY LA” (which is still cringeworthy) & not the actual phrase “FREEBRITNEY” (the trademark owner isn’t a secret...Lou tried suing him). I won’t link to the tweet but type in FREEBRITNEY TRADEMARK on twitter & “trademark trader” tweeted about it 3 days ago..

Sorry I laughed at this part :makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao: it is so true 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

Hey Exhale, a few weeks ago it came to my attention that a fan filed to trademark the term "Free Britney." 

I actually wasn't sure how to feel about that. My gut tells me that no one should own it or have rights to it, but at the same time the logic - protect the term from falling in the wrong hands - also made some sense. 

I made a video about it. I reached out to the fan to get their perspective and reasoning as to why they are trying to obtain the trademark. I also spoke with an attorney who specializes in trademarks to see what their thoughts were.

In my video, I am protecting the fan's identity because I have experienced a huge wave of negative comments these last two weeks and want to shield them from that potentially happening to them. Or this could backfire and I receive more negative comments I really don't know anymore heh. 

This video is not trying to shade or out them for any wrongdoing, rather it's a discussion on trademarking an entire movement and what the implications are of that.

Let me know what you think! And of course any engagement on the actual video itself would be greatly appreciated 🙏   

Related:

trademark.jpg.2a6fb4b9c203f1cb79531579fd23f4cc.jpg

Jordan, do you work out before you do a video or do you arms just look like that anyway?

:gaspney_britney_what_wow_shocked_surprised:

Glad you made a video about this @Jordan Miller

Interesting that your source/lawyer friend made a prediction that the application would be rejected. I just checked, and although the current status is "application has been accepted", it has in fact on further inspection been outright rejected (according to letters sent to the registrant, which they can appeal...good luck with that) on a number of grounds, namely:

1. Registration is refused because...the applied-for mark consists of or includes matter that may falsely suggest a connection with BRTINEY SPEARS. Although BRITNEY SPEARS is not connected with the goods provided by applicant under the applied-for mark, BRITNEY is so well-known that consumers would presume a connection

2. Registration is refused because...the FREE BRITNEY movement is famous as a social media movement that’s aim is to “FREE” BRITNEY from the legally binding conservatorship she is currently under and conveys support in the movement. 

Basically, #FreeBritney is a movement, not a product or service that cannot be profited off, let alone trademarked. Period.

Good to know some peops are doing their job!

16 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

in the worst case scenario that James copyrighted it, then what? How can that stop people from using it as a hashtag? :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: How would he benefit from it, if he doesn't create merchandise with it?

In the worst case, Jamie could shut down all media using "FreeBritney" including the documentary.

50 minutes ago, Justin Woodpond said:

Basically, #FreeBritney is a movement, not a product or service that cannot be profited off, let alone trademarked. Period.

Good to know some peops are doing their job!

"Friday for Future" is a climate movement and a brand that is protected worldwidest.

The sports car Porsche 911 is only called "911" because all 3-digit numbers with a 0 in the middle are protected as a trademark by the car manufacturer Peugeot.

..................So you don't see everything as clearly and simply as you think.  Patent law is a very complex law and usually ends in court

• Like 1