Madonna Appreciation Thread!

queen.jpg.ffde438bf57ad16443aebfc716af6c77.jpg

Today marks not just a day in pop culture, but a MOMENT in the Music Industry.

It was August 8, of the year 1982. Michael Jackson release Thriller, Rock was thriving, The first CD Player was sold in Japan, a recession just started in America, and the 80s Pop culture and fashion had risen up from the glittery and sparkly years of the Disco era from the 1970s. On this day, a 24-year old young Madonna dropped her debut single "Everybody" from her debut dance self-title "Madonna" . The song became a hit, managing to peak at #3 in the Hot Dance/Club Play charts and selling 250k copes ever since. However, Madonna would not let this song be her biggest hit, as she immediately got to the studio to record her sophomore effort after a year of release of self-titled.

Commercial Peak: Like A Virgin, True Blue & Like A Prayer (1984-1990)

Madonna would then release her greatest hit (At the time), Like A Virgin on October of 1983 and promoting the song in the 1984 MTV VMAs. The song would become a defining moment in her career, especially with the iconic wedding outfit she wore for the MTV VMAs performance which shocked the whole world. She would then release her sophomore record of the same name on November of 1984. The album became an instant success, becoming the first ever female album to sell over 5 million copies in one year in the US, rounding as one of the highest selling albums of 1984, managing to sell 12 million copies by 1985. Madonna would then proceed to release the iconic "Material Girl" with a MV paying homage to Marilyn Monroe's legendary role in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" and Into the Groove. Madonna would perform in the Live Aid Concert performing her biggest hits including Into The Groove.  Like A Virgin has sold 21 million copies globally being diamond-certified, becoming her first album out of 5 albums to sell over 10 million copies.

Madonna's reign would not let up, releasing her third album "True Blue" that reinvented her and provided Madonna further more iconic moments referred to pop culture to this day, including the iconic Blonde Pixie Hairstyle she had in the True Blue era. The era was filled with commercial hits, including legendary songs "Papa dont preach", "Open Your Heart" and "Live to Tell", with "Papa Dont Preach" even becoming the best-selling single of 1986. Whereas, for the album, True Blue turned out to have become more successful and huger than "Like A Virgin", reaching #1 already in 28 countries and spending 34 consecutive weeks weeks of the European Top 100 Album Charts. The album became the best-selling album of 1986 globally, selling already 15 million copies worldwide. True Blue has sold over 25 million copies, becoming her best-selling album selling 7 million copies alone in the US, and 2,100,000 copies in the UK.

In the last year of the 80s, 1989, the love, and adoration she received from the general public and media all fell to a certain height, when she released the highly controversial music video for the Lead single of her upcoming album. There was a huge media frenzy at the time, when she released the MV having everyones mouth curse at her. However this would not stop the release of her fourth album "Like A Prayer" ending up as a under performance. The album debuted at #11 in the Billboard 200, climbing in its third week to the top of the charts, holding that position for 6 consecutive weeks. The second single "Express Yourself" became another huge hit from the era, certifying her Pop icon status to the world, peaking at #2 in the Billboard Hot 100. Even though, Like A Prayer didn't manage to outsell its predecessor like how True Blue outsold Like A Virgin, the album managed to sell 15 million copies worldwide, rounding up with 4 million sales in the US and 1.4 million in the UK.

At this point, Madonna peaked with commercial success. She was the biggest popstar in the world. Everyone knew her name, People were crazy for her, her tours and concerts always sold out, her CDs and albums were in high demand and she was unstoppable.

LikeAVirgin1984.png True_Blue_Madonna.png Madonna_-_Like_a_Prayer_album.png

Commercial Decline: Bedtime Stories & Something To Remember (1992-1995)

For half of a decade, Madonna somewhat failed to maintain the superstardom she once held in the late 80s towards a new culture and era. That too, her controversial releases during this period not only made Madonna synonymous with "Controversial" but with the general public and media even trying to cancel her and put the nail to the coffin of her career. Not to mention that her career  was being overshadowed by growing stars at the time such as Mariah Carey. This era made people believe that she would never be able to have a successful career, after all her controversial moments in the spotlight. Despite going through a commercial decline, Madonna was still on top of the list of the best-selling artist, being the best-selling artist of 1992 and released huge hits at the time such as "Take a bow" and "This used to be my playground" . the critics were tearing her apart at the time, calling her every bad name and shaming her for the things she did back then that are now considered ground-breaking and iconic. Bedtime stories managed to only debut at #4 selling 145k copies and becoming Madonna's second album not cross the 15 million mark, selling over 8 million copies to date. Something to remember debuted lower than Bedtime stories, debuting at #6 and selling over 10 million copies to date. However, it would not be until 1998, where Madonna did a total 180 degree...

Bedtime_Stories_Madonna.pngSomething_to_Remember_cover.png

Commercial Resurgence & Critical Peak: Ray Of Light, Music & Confessions On A Dancefloor

It was February 22 of 1998, when Madonna released her album "Ray Of Light" . Madonna would release the first single of her album called "Frozen", a stripped-down electronica ballad, a fresh and unique piece of work in Madonna's discography. The song peaked at #2 in the Billboard Top 100 becoming her highest charting since single 1994, becoming gold-certified from the RIAA on April of 1998. With this newly found success, Madonna would release a cover of a more infectious-EDM and euphoric "Ray Of Light" which became one of the hugest hits of 1998. The album, was a huge success, selling 371k copies in its first week and debuting at #2 selling over 20 million copies to this date. The album was a critical success, with critics praising Madonna's reinvention experimenting with Techno-pop, Electronica, Trip-Hop and Dance. The album is regarded as the greatest pop album of all time, being an inspiration for several artist such as Adele who said 25 was inspired by the iconic album. Madonna would continue her success to the first year of the new millennium, releasing "Music" and the song which became the best-selling song of the year 2000. Even though Madonna had a trip with the American Life era, she managed to release her biggest album since 2000, Confessions Of The Dancefloor, and her biggest hit from this generation, Hung up, a groovy-disco record accompanied by a catchy ABBA sample of "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme (A Man After Midnight)" with the song reaching #1 in 41 countries, the album sold 6 million copies by the end of 2006, being one of the highest selling albums of that year and selling 12 million copies upto now.

220px-Ray_of_Light_Madonna.png220px-Music_Madonna.png220px-Madonna_-_Confessions_on_a_Dance_F

This day marks the 38th anniversary of the queen of pop Madonna, who break boundaries and opened gates for women. At a time, when the society would not accept a woman liberating herself like a male artist would, Madonna completely smashed that and became the most revolutionary female artist of all time. It is fair to say how there were 2 eras for female artist, "Before Madonna" and "After Madonna', in where the differences are more than visible. She is the best-selling female artist of all time, selling 300 million records globally and a feature in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I think personally, this site gives her too much hate. Minus her very "questionable" statements these days (:umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay:) i think we should recognize her as incredibly influential, even influencing Britney.

So lets celebrate the greatest popstar of all time! What are your favourite albums of hers? Mine is ROL! Your fave song from Madonna? Mine is Hung up! Hoping to see your replies soon, lemme know :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

• Love 9

Favorite Song from an Album non single. 

Don't stop (This was the original single Warner wanted after the success of Take a bow, it probably would have added more sales, but Madonna said I want Human Nature, I need to address the public my anger, I gave you what you wanted, you rejected it, how could you do that?")

She won but it was a huge hit over seas, bigger than take a bow. Take a bow was only huge in the US. 

But the US said nope, you went too far, also Radio despite a radio version made couldn't play the word Bish in such a mean and negative way .

Ironically American Life was a success where the war wasn't supported mainly all over the world except the US. 

That right there shows worldwide They were like why are you invading a country like that, it's not right. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Madonna may be way out of touch in 2020 but there is no denying her impact on the industry. 
She is a trailblazer and an OG in having zero effs to give. 

Fav non singles: Love Spent, She’s Not Me, Candy Shop. 

Fav singles: Frozen, Miles Away, Ghosttown, Material Girl, Crazy For You... there is too many. 

Fav Album: Until recently, it was Hard Candy, but I’ve been vibing on MDNA lately. 

• Love 3
  • Super Mods
10 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Don't stop (This was the original single Warner wanted after the success of Take a bow, it probably would have added more sales, but Madonna said I want Human Nature, I need to address the public my anger, I gave you what you wanted, you rejected it, how could you do that?")

She won but it was a huge hit over seas, bigger than take a bow. Take a bow was only huge in the US. 

But the US said nope, you went too far, also Radio despite a radio version made couldn't play the word Bish in such a mean and negative way .

Ironically American Life was a success where the war wasn't supported mainly all over the world except the US. 

That right there shows worldwide They were like why are you invading a country like that, it's not right. 

I thought you would be the creator of this thread :jlostare_jennifer_lopez_staring_blink:

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, Iconic 4 U said:

4 Minutes is forever that bop :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

13 hours ago, Leolileinstein said:

Favourite song: Music 

Favourite album: COADF and Bedtime Stories 

Favourite Tour: BA Tour 1990

Favourite performance: Super Bowl 2012 

13 hours ago, monkeystar88 said:

I love Madonna and I really enjoyed Madam X

12 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Picking an all-time favorite Madonna album is not possible. The favorite of the month is "Like a Virgin", though. "Pretender" is THAT bish. :melt_weird_drift_wow:

12 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

12 hours ago, Towelney said:

Favorite non-single songs:  She’s Not Me, Masterpiece, and Messiah :lollipop_britney_sucker_dancing_party_2012:

Favorite singles:  Ghosttown, Like A Prayer and 4 Minutes :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Favorite Album:  Rebel heart :carpoolney_dance_karaoke_glory_sunglasses_party_raise_roof:

2 hours ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

Madonna may be way out of touch in 2020 but there is no denying her impact on the industry. 
She is a trailblazer and an OG in having zero effs to give. 

Fav non singles: Love Spent, She’s Not Me, Candy Shop. 

Fav singles: Frozen, Miles Away, Ghosttown, Material Girl, Crazy For You... there is too many. 

Fav Album: Until recently, it was Hard Candy, but I’ve been vibing on MDNA lately. 

1 hour ago, Puppy said:

I thought you would be the creator of this thread :jlostare_jennifer_lopez_staring_blink:

1 hour ago, bliss said:

the queen of pop, I got into her discography 3 years ago and have loved her ever since. My fav album is definitely Ray Of Light (even though I love Music and Confessions a lot too), my fav song is Paradise (Not For Me)

What did you guys think of the essay i wrote on her? It took me some time, but im happy how it turned out. Anything you would like me to know?

52 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

What did you guys think of the essay i wrote on her? It took me some time, but im happy how it turned out. Anything you would like me to know?

I liked it, I'm surprised you didn't include the 2008-Present period tho, she still had a lot of success during that time: 4 Minutes being a huge hit, Hard Candy did well, The Sticky And Sweet Tour being the highest grossing female tour ever, she made her debut as a film director in 2011, the 2012 super bowl, MDNA + its tour, rebel heart and the madame x eras

• Love 1
  • Like 1
54 minutes ago, bliss said:

I liked it, I'm surprised you didn't include the 2008-Present period tho, she still had a lot of success during that time: 4 Minutes being a huge hit, Hard Candy did well, The Sticky And Sweet Tour being the highest grossing female tour ever, she made her debut as a film director in 2011, the 2012 super bowl, MDNA + its tour, rebel heart and the madame x eras

Ah yes, i should have added that too. The main reason i did not include it is because i just wanted to highlight the main part of her career. Her rise, peak, downfall and comeback was primary.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block