Rihanna apologizes after receiving backlash for appropriating Islam at Fenty fashion shows

1 hour ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

Why on earth would u remix holy Islamic writings and then make nearly naked girls dance to it 

that’s like someone remixing verses said by Jesus and dancing nearly nude to it

now how is that correct by any means 

It's the year 2020. Are we really still talking about Religion?! Literally an ancient concept that we got over years ago.. No one cares about this stuff anymore. This is old world way of thinking. We don't have to get offended over fictional literary characters anymore.

• Love 3
  • Like 5
36 minutes ago, PuertoRicosFinest said:

Because it’s a free country and nobody had a problem with Madonna desecrating the catholic faith her entire career or lady Gaga putting a rosary in her mouth while wearing a nuns uniform with an upside down cross.  But of course Islam the religion of peace makes everyone **** their pants in fear, so let’s not offend one of the largest religions in the world.

That's not true, though. Madonna got tons of backlash for the religious blasphemy she's promoted, especially after the LAP video. And even Gaga's Alejandro video received backlash from Catholics. Those instances happened before SJWs were a thing, though.

• Love 1
  • Like 3
22 minutes ago, A.a.A said:

It's the year 2020. Are we really still talking about Religion?! Literally an ancient concept that we got over years ago.. No one cares about this stuff anymore. This is old world way of thinking. We don't have to get offended over fictional literary characters anymore.

I can't at this comment, you do realize there are millions of people still deeply invested in religion. :janet_jackson_chewing_eating_food:

Someone is bitter. :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

• Love 3
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Stefani said:

That's not true, though. Madonna got tons of backlash for the religious blasphemy she's promoted, especially after the LAP video. And even Gaga's Alejandro video received backlash from Catholics. Those instances happened before SJWs were a thing, though.

And Madonna had a huge deal with Pepsi but the contract was cancelled when pepsi was threatened boycott by catholics and Christian's. She kept the 5 million of course. But pepsi backed out cos of the video

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

I can't at this comment, you do realize there are millions of people still deeply invested in religion. :janet_jackson_chewing_eating_food:

Someone is bitter. :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

Not bitter tbh.. Just stating my opinion really.. Just because people are invested, doesn't make it true, the rest of the whole/generations have moved on.

But by this logic, there are also people living in villages and hunting for food. Doesn't mean we all have to do it. :quirkney_britney_well_welp_giggle_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_joke: 

• Love 3
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, A.a.A said:

Not bitter tbh.. Just stating my opinion really.. Just because people are invested, doesn't make it true, the rest of the whole/generations have moved on.

But by this logic, there are also people living in villages and hunting for food. Doesn't mean we all have to do it. :quirkney_britney_well_welp_giggle_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_joke: 

Saying whole generations have moved on is entirely untrue. If everyone had moved on, religious motivated hate crimes would not be as regular as they are.

No one is forcing you to be a part of a religion, I myself have had doubts about religion and have even been an atheist throughout multiple periods of my life.

Religious respect however is important, it's not whether or not you believe in said thing (and by this I do not mean questioning things in religions that do not make sense/proving them wrong), it's just whether or not you have any decent respect.

Billions of people are a part of religions, it's different compared to living in villages and hunting for food in that aspect. Believe whatever you want to believe, I do not care if you don't follow a religion because that is your business and not mine.

• Love 2
  • Content Curators
1 hour ago, A.a.A said:

Literally THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of Muslims are currently getting killed in China 

theres whole concentration camps happening over there but no country wants to talk about it cause China is powerful 

so for all of this to be happening and Rihanna to just further disrespect it is wrong Ur privilege is blatantly showing here 

good for u, but don’t go speaking this bull s hit

go look up the uyghurs in China 

• Love 2

@Britneyarmy8 @Spicechinodiva As a recording artist born the same year as Brit, I'm not liking the turn things are taking. It is good to be sensitive to others, but how much is that going to impact art? As Mylène Farmer recently noted, it'd be interesting to draw a list of all works of art that would be considered inappropriate in 2020.

Madonna performing Holy Water/Vogue in 2015:

Madonna dressed as a **** mother superior, half-naked nuns, **** on an altar...

This performance features a veiled woman and incorporates other Middle Eastern elements.

Marilyn Manson rips up the Bible there.

"Bibles" on fire, crosses, nakedness...

Elements from the Ancient Egyptian religion.

Elements from the Ancient Egyptian religion. The "Allah necklace" was censored after a petition went viral.

Madonna as a Hindu goddess. In one part of the video, she is seen with several arms, and there's a Sanskrit inscription.

This performance caused some controversy because of Madonna's white top (also seen in the Ray of Light music video) and the sacred make-up she was wearing. The first song, Shanti Ashtangi, is religious (Hinduism).

In response to the controversy, Madonna responded: "The essence of purity and divinity is non-judgement… They should practice what they preach… If they’re so pure, why are they watching MTV?"

And finally, a photo taken from Britney Spears' Blackout album liner:

britney-spears-and-priest.jpg

There are many, many more pictures and videos I could include, but you get the point. Religion is PART of life, whether or not one is religious. As humans, we have an animal side as well as a more spiritual, mystical side. Of course, music, fashion shows, TV shows, movies, etc. do at some point reflect religion, spirituality or occultism (tons of music videos, movies, video games, cartoons and novels feature occult elements).

It's totally normal, but we're now being told it's wrong. If so, much art should be deleted, and artists would be severely limited in their expression. For all of these reasons (and the examples shown above), I believe Rihanna (or any other artist) should be entitled to utilize elements from the Middle East or Islam if they want in their work. I'm sure Rihanna and her team meant no offence at all. As an artist, I want the same freedom Madonna, Ozzy Osbourne and Marilyn Manson have enjoyed for so long.

@A.a.A

• Love 8
  • Like 1
  • Content Curators
1 hour ago, PuertoRicosFinest said:

Because it’s a free country and nobody had a problem with Madonna desecrating the catholic faith her entire career or lady Gaga putting a rosary in her mouth while wearing a nuns uniform with an upside down cross.  But of course Islam the religion of peace makes everyone **** their pants in fear, so let’s not offend one of the largest religions in the world.

What u talking about 

she’s gotten s hit for it her whole career 

she literally got publicly ex communicated twice  

• Content Curators
5 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

@Britneyarmy8 @Spicechinodiva As a recording artist born the same year as Brit, I'm not liking the turn things are taking. It is good to be sensitive to others, but how much is that going to impact art? As Mylène Farmer recently noted, it'd be interesting to draw a list of all works of art that would be considered inappropriate in 2020.

Madonna performing Holy Water/Vogue in 2020:

This performance features a veiled woman and incorporates other Middle Eastern elements.

Elements from the Ancient Egyptian religion. The "Allah necklace" was censored after a petition went viral.

Madonna as a Hindu goddess. In one part of the video, she is seen with several arms, and there's a Sanskrit inscription.

This performance caused some controversy because of Madonna's white top (also seen in the Ray of Light music video) and the sacred make-up she was wearing. The first song, Shanti Ashtangi, is religious (Hinduism).

In response to the controversy, Madonna responded: "The essence of purity and divinity is non-judgement… They should practice what they preach… If they’re so pure, why are they watching MTV?"

There are many, many more pictures and videos I could include, but you get the point. Religion is PART of life, whether or not one is religious. As humans, we have an animal side as well as a more spiritual, mystical side. Of course, music, fashion shows, TV shows, movies, etc. do at some point reflect religion, spirituality or occultism (tons of music videos, movies, video games, cartoons and novels feature occult elements).

It's totally normal, but we're now being told it's wrong. If so, much art should be deleted, and artists would be severely limited in their expression. For all of these reasons (and the examples shown above), I believe Rihanna (or any other artist) should be entitled to utilize elements from the Middle East or Islam if they want in their work. I'm sure Rihanna and her team meant no offence at all. As an artist, I want the same freedom Madonna, Ozzy Osbourne and Marilyn Manson have enjoyed for so long.

@A.a.A

No one asked for this thesis paper trying to convince me

btw are u not seeing the issue here? First off half these videos u showed here are not nearly as bad as what rihanna did 

she literally took holy Islamic writings remixed it and made nude models dance to it, that Madonna vid with the orange shirt incorporates a traditional singer and its not even that bad

also Islam is the second Biggedt religion unlike ancient Egyptian culture which is dead now 

and Madonna has gotten crap her entire career for her defamation so I don’t get ur point here?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, A.a.A said:

Sorry but I think you missed something:

Respecting others and their opinions, tastes, and on what they believe is the basic thing, no one actually have the right to say "Lol u believe in that or like this, it’s stupid". It’s the minimum. Have you learned how to respect people, and their opinions, tastes, in what he believe? You have right to critic, to have your own opinion, but saying that believing in a religion is an ancient concept and how "this old world thinking" is just DISRESPECTFUL.

However, you have right on something, it’s 2020 and there are still some people who don’t know how to respect others, and then they use badly the pretext of liberty of expression to disrespect people, yeah it’s already 2020 time flies... :awww_sarcastic_pout_britney_2006ney_idc_poor:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Arckangel said:

Madonna performing Holy Water/Vogue in 2020:

@A.a.A

I think it’s not the question here, yeah everyone can be inspired about a culture or use some elements from a culture for example. But the question here is: Is Rihanna aware of that? If yes, is it usued to shade a religion and people who believe in Islam to create a controversy? Because I see that like a "shade" or just wanting to create a controversy because it’s seems to be clearly intended after watching this show.

I mean, there’s a difference between "Gettting inspiration or using elements of a culture" and "shade/disrespect people who believe in this religion, essentially knowing the meaning of the Hadith by shading with clothes that those models took for the show". 

After all it’s my opinion and that’s how I felt when watching that.

Update: it seems that they didn’t knew the meaning of the Hadith, so they took a content without searching about it and take the responsibility of that.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

You can express yourself without doing things considered disrespectful. :ririshade2_rihanna_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_irritated_mad:

• Love 1
  • Like 3
  • Content Curators
6 minutes ago, ExXL said:

Queen of Islam, BTW she didn't disrespect it, she only tried to normalize it and give it platform Y'all are overreacting.... 

hey guysss i rlly want to normalize christianity in places that arent so used to it so let me go f uck some dude and have a sermon reciting bible verses going on in the background

ill totalllyyyy give it a platform :kellyfall_scream_ahh_falling_dead:

some of yall are so braindead its so funny

must be the poppers

• Haha 1
  • Like 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block