Lil Nas X drops insanely epic "Call Me By Your Name" music video, hits #1 on the Hot 100

12 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

What facts? The fact that men assaulting other men is prohibited in the Quran and that nothing about actual consensual gay relationships is condemned? :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

Colonialism is the biggest factor as to why many Islamic countries prohibit LGBT, conservative attitudes that made their way over to those countries lead to extreme misinterpretation. 

I was born into and forced into Islamic teachings from a very young age. I know what I'm talking about, thank you.
You need to read the Quran before you spread misinformation. My eyes are rolling so hard right now. What brought such a miseducated person to exhale?!

6 hours ago, Stefani said:

There was nothing "epic" about his video in my opinion; every time someone calls anything that's pro-LGBT+ as "brave" or "daring", I just can't help but cackle. Maybe if we were in the 1800s, but it's 2021 ma'am. There's nothing extraordinary about showcasing LGBT+ subject matter. In particular, his video is just a huge rip-off of what other modern rappers and R&B artists have done - the pole scene was lifted straight out of FKA twigs' Cellophane video ffs. :riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand: 

That said, I don't think that his comments about Islam count as Islamophobia; he's said many negative things about Christianity as well iirc, yet nobody here would label him as a Christophobe. So at least keep things consistent. :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

You must be living in such privilege and bliss. Homophobia is still rampant in 2021. How many black rappers do you know that would make a video like this? How many famous black rappers have we had in history? Artists inspire and borrow from each other all the time, FKA didn't invent pole riding. 

I would have loved to see an out and proud gay black man as a child, would have helped to know I'm not alone. All we had was clay aiken, lol. 

• Love 4
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

I miss when music used to be good..  :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:

Ever since he came out it’s been nothing but S3X and overexposure. I hate when someone comes out and their S3xuality instantly becomes the main product. It’s not cool and it’s become so boring.  :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading:

With the WAP of it all, music is so over-saturated. Like, for real. There’s no quality these days. I’ll give him a plus for creativity, his videos have that and they’re fun but it’s still a bunch of CGI and nothing real in the video. That’s not epic. 

I love a good N@$TY anthem, but I guess I just miss good song writing and production. I feel for the most part that’s not something kids these days get to experience. 

He was fun and cute with Panini and I like him as an “artist” but this new batch of pop kids seem to have very little to offer. It’s all purely marketing, the art just isn’t there. People need stop acting like this stuff is Real Music, cuz we haven’t heard too much of that in a while. But whatever, I’m over it.  :chrissy_xtina_head_tilt_purse_sass:

Also, bring back the 3 1/2 to 4 minute pop songs. Enough of these interlude bops, like the song isn’t even 2:30. Okay, I’m done.  :sipney_britney_starbucks_straw_sipping_drinking_spill:

Ugh, you are just so hard to please, aren't you?! Get with the times. There was a lot of hard work and money put into this, sorry it isn't good enough for your honour.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, MonAmour said:

I was born into and forced into Islamic teachings from a very young age. I know what I'm talking about, thank you.
You need to read the Quran before you spread misinformation. My eyes are rolling so hard right now. What brought such a miseducated person to exhale?!

I was also born a muslim, several reliable sources of journalism and actual muslim scholars disagree with you. :ricackle_rihanna_laugh_lol_haha_lmao_hehe:

Have you read the Quran? Fact checked?  :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

We likely were taught different branches of Islam, thus the teachings may differ, but the Quran itself prohibits non-consensual gay relationships.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

I really don't understand all the hate here, 10 years ago this wouldn't even be possible. (at least not openly and in mainstream) 

I mean ask some gayartists like Simon Curtis.

And it's kinda ironic, because the LGBTQ-audience for music is so big but all we've got is some popstar-allies (they are great but come on :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

And yeah, it's about ***, which popsong isn't? 

• Love 2
  • Like 3

I am very enjoy this and as a gay man I am very happy that there's an actual good *** song that talks about things I can relate to. Was kinda tired to only """"relate"""" to female popstars talking about men, here we have a gay man talking about gay stuff and gay *** and it's really a great feeling to be able to relate 100% to a song like that. 

I also think it's great we are living a time where this can happen, like other people said this kind of stuff would have never happened 10 years ago. I am very happy about this song and the music video is really great quality. He gives everything everytime and I'm living for it !! 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

Ever since he came out it’s been nothing but S3X and overexposure. I hate when someone comes out and their S3xuality instantly becomes the main product. It’s not cool and it’s become so boring.  :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading:

I love you sis, but you’re saying this as a Britney fan? :rlynow_britney_really_clasped_um_ok_seriously: 

Britney’s career was lowkey built on her expressing her ***uality

• Love 1
  • Like 3

it's the first time we have a LGBT rapper that is mainstream, successful, and has a big media exposure, this is totally insane in my opinion , he goes off the norm and breaks the predefined codes of hip-hop. we've never had a successful gay, black rapper who assumes his identity and takes care of his visuals like a popstar would, it's new, it's fresh. I applaud him. i'm glad that he exists, and i'm glad that LGBT people are represented by someone as talented as him. It's not cringy, or like awkward, it doesn't seem forced, you can really tell that he loves this. He just opened a new door for millions and millions of artists who will want to get into this industry, he changed hip-hop, forever. This is history. He just broke the duality between masculinity and feminity in hip-hop. Y'all don't realize how important this video will be.

• Love 7
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, nwonder said:

Good for him for doing his thing! Happy to see him thrive

However this is a bit much for me (and I’ve only seen clips on social). I’m not religious at all but satanic visuals usually make me really uncomfortable.

:wendycry_wiliams_panicked_crying_tears_upset_sad:

It’s kinda funny :tiffcackle_Tiffany_miss_ny_New_York_pollard_laugh_giggle_lol_haha_hehe:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, nwonder said:

Good for him for doing his thing! Happy to see him thrive

However this is a bit much for me (and I’ve only seen clips on social). I’m not religious at all but satanic visuals usually make me really uncomfortable.

:wendycry_wiliams_panicked_crying_tears_upset_sad:

It’s kinda funny :tiffcackle_Tiffany_miss_ny_New_York_pollard_laugh_giggle_lol_haha_hehe:

16 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

I miss when music used to be good..  :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:

With the WAP of it all, music is so over-saturated. Like, for real. There’s no quality these days. I’ll give him a plus for creativity, his videos have that and they’re fun but it’s still a bunch of CGI and nothing real in the video. That’s not epic. 

I love a good N@$TY anthem, but I guess I just miss good song writing and production. I feel for the most part that’s not something kids these days get to experience. 

He was fun and cute with Panini and I like him as an “artist” but this new batch of pop kids seem to have very little to offer. It’s all purely marketing, the art just isn’t there. People need stop acting like this stuff is Real Music, cuz we haven’t heard too much of that in a while. But whatever, I’m over it.  :chrissy_xtina_head_tilt_purse_sass:

Also, bring back the 3 1/2 to 4 minute pop songs. Enough of these interlude bops, like the song isn’t even 2:30. Okay, I’m done.  :sipney_britney_starbucks_straw_sipping_drinking_spill:

I agree with the length of songs, they should be longer.

However, you know that you're on a BRITNEY SPEARS forum right? Her whole career is based off S3X appeal... s3xuality is literally the core of her whole image/career. Pop music has been about that subject literally since it's inception. You know Madonna's career is based off of s3x too right? Even Michael Jacksons to some degree.

And Lil Nas X's song is literally one of the catchiest songs I've heard in a while (since "React" by PCD). Obviously all music is subjective, but to the average person this song is a BOP. 

Side note: Pop music has never been about "good writing", it's all about catchiness and replay value (at least historically).

But I like that your critically thinking about this, it shows that Call Me By Your Name is doing it's job.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block