Lucas Wouldn’t Play Ryan Again If “High School Musical” Was Made Today

5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

:oprah:

I mean, they're actors after all, they should be able to play any kind of role :idkney: It's like, they aren't gonna hire a real serial killer to play a serial killer in a movie or a real alien or something if it's gonna be a sci-fi movie 

Remember when Scarlett Johansson withdrawn from her role in the movie Rub & Tug after facing a backlash, mainly from transgender actors, for taking on the role of a transgender man? 

:sipnstare:
26 minutes ago, sutramaya said:
Remember when Scarlett Johansson withdrawn from her role in the movie Rub & Tug after facing a backlash, mainly from transgender actors, for taking on the role of a transgender man? 

:sipnstare:

No, I don't remember, but I know I've heard similar stories in recent years.

And I do understand the point about how on top of everything that gay people and other minorities have to struggle in real life, they have to give the roles of gay characters to straight actors, especially straight, white actors. Like in Mexico there are stories about gay television actors that had to hide their sexuality for many years, to the public, but within the industry, directors and executives knew who was who and they got a lot of bullying and discrimination for years, and then you had straight actors playing the gay from the telenovela and sometimes even getting praise for their acting, and it's like wtf

I think we're still in a time of transition, where there's a lot of issues that still need to be fixed, not just within the entertainment industry, but in our societies, and I do get that when you realize how ****ed up things have been until now, the right thing to do is for people like this HSM actor to kind of step back from those roles and say what he said, in hope of giving the place the minorities deserve from now on. But that feels like a momentary solution to me. If you think about it in the long term, like many years from now, or as many years as we need to evolve as a society to the point where we don't even have to discuss these issues because people have finally seen the light and we're in this utopia where no one gets discriminated due to any reason, how are things supposed to work? "Acting" becomes "you only get to play roles that reflect exactly what you are in real life, physically, mentally, your orientation, your religion your age, etc" ? Not only that defeats the whole purpose of acting, which is the ability to play a role that may have nothing to do with you, to give life to a fictional character that is part of a story, but that would also force everybody to have a tag or label on their forehead describing all their preferences or ideals or any other thing that they identify with, so producers and the audience can determine whether it's ok for them to get the role. Imagine how boring, even for actors themselves, to always have to act just like they are in real life, because that's the politically correct.

Again, I'm aware of the times we're living, in our society, in our everyday lives, but if we see it strictly from the 'entertainment industry' point of view that would be like condemning Christian Bale for getting skinny for a movie or overweight for another one, instead of letting a real skinny guy or a real overweight person play those roles.

• Love 2

Hate this reasoning, the best actor should get the part. Some of my fave gay movies have straight ppl playing the gay roles, I'd rather watch the best acting available then someone given the part to fill a quota. Sexuality shouldn't come into casting at all. I won't get into the controversy with trans casting, I guess it's a bit different but I will say Hilary Swank fkn knocked it out of the park when she played Brandon in Boys Don't Cry, such a brilliant movie. Yet today she would have been hounded into giving up the part like ScarJo and just today Halle Berry.

• Love 3
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, britbratt12 said:

I like Jordan never seen the show but if there was a job he should take it cause I never of heard him before this. His statement sounds like he's trying to kiss the public's ***. Gay actors can play straight roles too. 

Neil Patrick Harris in Gone Girl 

• Love 1

Well hed barely have a career then bc he played A gay character in milk too, and Sean penn won the academy award for best actor and hes straight.

but this is kinda dumb. Ryan in hsm was straight. Didnt he fall in love with kelsey?

also, when youre playing teen characters theyre struggling with coming out so its not like they have their sexuality all figured out. **** no ones does these days. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block