Tinashe: the general public rejected me as a pop artist

10 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

I screamed reading these two things. :gloriascary:

:gloria::haha::orangu::imacat::dead:

I mean, I like her, I think she's a nice girl, and she's a huge Britney fan and just being able to collaborate with Britney on the last single of her career, and be with her on the video and perform live with her, that must be the ultimate dream and I think no one can take that from her. But seriously I have no idea of what she's done before or after Slumber Party. Yes, I don't follow any other artist as I follow Britney, but even if I don't like them, I keep seeing articles about other artists on Facebook, and all those pages dedicated to music, so at least I know them or their songs by name. Literally, I've never seen anything about Tinashe outside of Exhale, I don't even know how people found out about her :idkney:

12 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

This is something I keep thinking, not just for Tinashe (I rarely think about her) but all the artists in general, like all these threads about Katy Perry, and others we've seen lately.

And I think Britney is to blame, indirectly. Ever since Britney made it into the scene, I feel like everyone has felt like, or that's the impression I have anyways, that their thinking is "if someone like Britney can do it, I can do it too". Like, ever since Britney became so successful, everyone and their mother has tried to have the same career and success as hers, like "why can't I have the same, if I'm even more talented than Britney" kind of thinking.

And it's like suddenly we have to support every single artist that starts a career or that wants to have a space in the music scene, and every single one deserves the same kind of success and popularity and recognition, as if it was a rule that any talented, good looking girl has to become an idol, or just because they work hard, we have to love them all equally. And I mean, yeah, they can all try, they can all have the chance, but if they don't click with the public, they don't click and that's it.

And it's the same if they start flopping later in their careers, like Katy is doing 10 years after her debut. Not because Britney was still having hits 15 years later it means that EVERY single artist is gonna have the same fate. Some may have shorter success, or longer, or bigger or smaller, and that's something that is out of anyone's control. If they have that X factor, they have it, and if they don't, they don't.

I agree with most of what you say, except that the suggestion Britney is like these other girls. Now, let me clarify. First, I know many of them are pretty and can dance and maybe even have more powerful voices than Britney's buuut Britney had (not anymore imo) a magnetic stage.presence and a very unique charisma that pulled you and mesmerized you. I have watched some of her old performances and even being a girl with silly ponytails, she just was magnetizing. I don't see it in Dua, Tinashe, and so on. You can be hot, dance, sing and still won't be noticed. I have heard many similar sounding voices (imitators)  to Freddie Mercury, but they wouldn't have become Freddie. It's an aethereal thing that can't be quite created, only channeled

Now, Katy was not a flop. I JUST think there are about three types of singers: icons and legends that even after.their.popularity has already peaked, they remain in the GP mind for.decades or longer, famous singers that eventually become washed up and one hit wonders. An example of each: Michael Jackson, Katy Perry, Meghan Trainor

5 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I mean, I like her, I think she's a nice girl, and she's a huge Britney fan and just being able to collaborate with Britney on the last single of her career, and be with her on the video and perform live with her, that must be the ultimate dream and I think no one can take that from her. But seriously I have no idea of what she's done before or after Slumber Party. Yes, I don't follow any other artist as I follow Britney, but even if I don't like them, I keep seeing articles about other artists on Facebook, and all those pages dedicated to music, so at least I know them or their songs by name. Literally, I've never seen anything about Tinashe outside of Exhale, I don't even know how people found out about her

It's ok guapo. She's a D List so it's alright if you don't know ha. We stan legends of course. :bigkiss:

She sorta got a little popular via 2 On. This is her only real hit.

This is like 2014 or something.

But yes, I still don't know how this collab happened but I think it's mainly because she's also under RCA. :imacat:

1 hour ago, Bigno said:

I agree with most of what you say, except that the suggestion Britney is like these other girls. Now, let me clarify. First, I know many of them are pretty and can dance and maybe even have more powerful voices than Britney's buuut Britney had (not anymore imo) a magnetic stage.presence and a very unique charisma that pulled you and mesmerized you. I have watched some of her old performances and even being a girl with silly ponytails, she just was magnetizing. I don't see it in Dua, Tinashe, and so on. You can be hot, dance, sing and still won't be noticed. I have heard many similar sounding voices (imitators)  to Freddie Mercury, but they wouldn't have become Freddie. It's an aethereal thing that can't be quite created, only channeled

Now, Katy was not a flop. I JUST think there are about three types of singers: icons and legends that even after.their.popularity has already peaked, they remain in the GP mind for.decades or longer, famous singers that eventually become washed up and one hit wonders. An example of each: Michael Jackson, Katy Perry, Meghan Trainor

I think I didn't explain myself correctly

What I tried to say is precisely the opposite. Britney has that X factor that not everyone has. But I feel like ever since Britney came out, every girl has tried to start a career like hers and, it's not just them, but it's like everybody, from the media, the record labels, the public, is expecting them to be as successful and have as much longevity and impact as Britney, as if it was a rule, or as if it was a matter of being fair and equal, where anyone that aspires to have success, automatically deserves it, because poor them, when that's never been true. I mean, you can't force people to like someone or something, it happens naturally or it doesn't.

And I was talking about some threads that have been here lately, specifically one that wondered why Katy hasn't had success with her past, like 75 singles or so? I don't know when she started "flopping" at least for her standards, but the whole point was like, why if she was so successful, she suddenly isn't anymore? But my question is, why would she? Because Britney was still successful 10, 15 years into her career, so she has to as well? That's just not correct.

Of course there are artists that have had longer and maybe more successful careers than Britney, but I feel like ever since she came out, a lot of these newer artists, or the record labels, started to think that it's an easy thing to produce the next superstar, because Britney has made it seem easy. And on top of that, most people don't think of Britney as a talented artist, so if they have an "actual talented" person, they have to become successful even easier than Britney, because why wouldn't they? But they fail to see that that isn't enough. Of course Britney had a whole machinery behind her, but she didn't become the legend she is just because they shoved her down our throats, she became that icon because she was one of a kind.

So if someone like Tinasha can't make it into the public's taste, despite several attempts (according to Exhale, because again I've never heard her music) or if people like Lorde or Meghan Trainor can't have more than a couple of hits, or if Katy can't keep her success even for 10 years, that's ok, I mean, it's bad for them maybe, if they care, but it's not like anybody is to blame. It just happens or not. They may have success later, but it's not like our obligation to like them. It's just, it is what it is.

Now if she, specifically has been discriminated by people within the industry, for her race or for whatever reason, well, that's something that does need to be addressed and exposed and that should be fixed, but that's totally independent of whether the public connects with her stuff or not. If she was really that good, and by good, it's beyond recognizing someone's talent, but when they actually connect with people enough to turn them into fans, she would've blown out ages ago, especially in these days when people can get to choose what they wanna hear or see.

• Like 2

I totally agree with her. The music she’s been releasing lately as an independent artist is what she’s truly feeling right now, but back then she was POP. All hands on deck, all my friends, slumber party, flame, all pop. And I can see how she was pushed to be a more urban artist and she really hand on to her dancing thing even though her songs weren’t particularly uptempo. 

I’m glad she has her own direction now, but she was severely mismanaged by Larry and RCA, as usual. 

20 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think I didn't explain myself correctly

What I tried to say is precisely the opposite. Britney has that X factor that not everyone has. But I feel like ever since Britney came out, every girl has tried to start a career like hers and, it's not just them, but it's like everybody, from the media, the record labels, the public, is expecting them to be as successful and have as much longevity and impact as Britney, as if it was a rule, or as if it was a matter of being fair and equal, where anyone that aspires to have success, automatically deserves it, because poor them, when that's never been true. I mean, you can't force people to like someone or something, it happens naturally or it doesn't.

And I was talking about some threads that have been here lately, specifically one that wondered why Katy hasn't had success with her past, like 75 singles or so? I don't know when she started "flopping" at least for her standards, but the whole point was like, why if she was so successful, she suddenly isn't anymore? But my question is, why would she? Because Britney was still successful 10, 15 years into her career, so she has to as well? That's just not correct.

Of course there are artists that have had longer and maybe more successful careers than Britney, but I feel like ever since she came out, a lot of these newer artists, or the record labels, started to think that it's an easy thing to produce the next superstar, because Britney has made it seem easy. And on top of that, most people don't think of Britney as a talented artist, so if they have an "actual talented" person, they have to become successful even easier than Britney, because why wouldn't they? But they fail to see that that isn't enough. Of course Britney had a whole machinery behind her, but she didn't become the legend she is just because they shoved her down our throats, she became that icon because she was one of a kind.

So if someone like Tinasha can't make it into the public's taste, despite several attempts (according to Exhale, because again I've never heard her music) or if people like Lorde or Meghan Trainor can't have more than a couple of hits, or if Katy can't keep her success even for 10 years, that's ok, I mean, it's bad for them maybe, if they care, but it's not like anybody is to blame. It just happens or not. They may have success later, but it's not like our obligation to like them. It's just, it is what it is.

Now if she, specifically has been discriminated by people within the industry, for her race or for whatever reason, well, that's something that does need to be addressed and exposed and that should be fixed, but that's totally independent of whether the public connects with her stuff or not. If she was really that good, and by good, it's beyond recognizing someone's talent, but when they actually connect with people enough to turn them into fans, she would've blown out ages ago, especially in these days when people can get to choose what they wanna hear or see.

Totally agree. Maybe I was.the one who didn't express herself right. Anyways, I agree, JUST because.they want to be successful doesn't mean people have to like them. The only thing I kind of disagree with you is the idea that this whole "shoving.done your throat" mentality of the industry is inherited from the Britney era. This has been a common practice since the old days. After Elvis Presley, people had like 5 different versions of him. Everyone wanted to sell the next Elvis, The Beach Boys came out as a band heavily influenced by the Beatles (even though, they ended up doing their own thing) and a gazillion other bands that probably the younger audiences don't even.know about. Then everyone wanted to be the New Michael Jackson, the New Madonna, the New Janet, the New Spice Girls had a had a. It's a common, boring thing they have. 

On 6/18/2020 at 6:27 PM, kaledkalil said:

I don't think she's saying saying that because she's black people don't care about her music, but how the industry works making black artists be "urban" and white people "pop", which is true. The problem with her music career is that she tried shooting at all different directions, and nothing besides 2 On or Hands On Deck really caught people's attention.

I don't follow her career that closely, but I believe is a matter of bad management, with them not knowing how to sell her and try to appeal to a certain public, and bad songs (sorry about it). It's a pitty because she's talented, but at least now she has some fans out there (I guess :teigen:).

This! You’re the only person who knows how to read on here 

Rihanna’s existence invalidates her entire argument. she was successful with 2on & had she released more bops that got peoples attention she would of been successful, but she didn’t & she signed to RCA, they’re utter trash. You saw how they completely mismanaged & poorly promoted Xtina? 

• Content Curators

Didn’t lizzo get famous last year with her music from like 2015/2016?! Like a lot of her REALLY old songs are the ones that just got her famous 

she needs to find her stride and stick with it 

alot of people would like her music these days esp her last album 

I liked it 

good luck to her 

but Ik she’s been in this industry for so long and has never really found fame but honestly I never really saw her promoting that much

On 6/20/2020 at 6:56 AM, Bigno said:

I think Britney still has stage presence , she just want to do things differently. she has proved time and time again that she can also be fierce (like the **** Clark's new years and Make Me performance 2016 VMA

emphasis on tried, just because you try doesn't mean you should be successful. her music just isn't that good, its not bad, but its nothing to WOW at. Nothing to do with race, genre of music or anything of the sort. There's nothing there, forgettable music teamed with poor choices...that single with Britney? the song was a bop but she should know that 0 promo goes into Britney songs now.  what kinda artist is she? r&b? pop? dance? she needs to go away and focus on one lane, or find a way to at least make her vision more cohesive. Bye ***** GIF by memecandy

I feel a little indifferent about this topic because I feel as though she is trying to find reason as to why her career has not taken off. While I don’t disagree with her 100%, I don’t think her race in the music industry has anything to do with her success. I think that the general public has not either related to her or have been curious to follow her discography. Whether you agree or not, Tinashe has showed off her versatility throughout her entire discography, from pop to dance and r&b to an alternative sound. I kind of parallel her career with that of Carly Rae Jepson, not in the sense of sound or success, but the way they lack the following of the public. They are both very talented and have a cult following, but that’s it. 

What I do believe in though is the mismanagement of her label in the past, which is why she released her latest body of work independently. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block