Tinashe: the general public rejected me as a pop artist

• Leader

tinashe-pop.jpg.c71469d008110368d10c7afb1b47ce07.jpg

Tinashe says she tried creating pop music, but the general public didn't embrace it because she's black. 

"As a black woman I fought HARD AF , for years, to be considered 'pop' by my label without changing my sound because of the inevitable ceiling I felt was put on the urban and rhythmic departments.... then the pop department didn’t find my music acceptable so I molded it for them," she said.

"& in an attempt to make my sound more pop department friendly, the public rejected it, I lost my spirit/ inspiration as a creative, &had to part ways with the label entirely. Luckily I’ve thrived as an independent artist, but I know first hand how insidious & traumatizing this is."

Tinashe makes valid points. I often see black artists placed in urban and R&B categories versus pop because they're black. At the same time, it's worth pointing out that the king of pop was Michael Jackson, and Janet Jackson is considered pop versus urban or R&B, but they're outliers. 

Regardless, Tinashe is right and that must be super frustrating to be put in a box due to the color of your skin. 

Thoughts, Exhale? 

Related:

• Like 2

I feel like Tinashe is too ****** and too aggresive as a pop girl. Once I read (it was a long time ago, don't shoot the messenger! CHILL) that successful female popstars are the ones who can seduce men but look friendly to women. And Tinashe seems to be "2 on" all the time... Even Britney and Xtina in their sexiest moments threw a ballad here and there once in a while.
I also feel like Tinashe is amazing but... Is she absolutely NECESSARY? omg I can't believe I'm saying this out loud because I love her but is she missed if she's not around? What does she bring to the table that no one else does?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, SpearsSpearsBrit said:

Although his music is good, it does not have the repetition factor :wonka: and his tastes are not commercial at all. She said she cried 1 week when they told her 2 On would be a single :wtf: oh come on it's her best song ever. :ririshade1:

I thought that was when "Flame" was made a single??

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

beyoncè,whitney houston, aretha franklin, rihanna, mariah carey,  and the list can goes on,  are all black female singer and  they are so popular and talented and people love them. Don't use your skin color like an excuse to be a flop :lessons:

Exactly. Make good music people will come. So far I’ve heard nothing memorable from her. Pop music survives on the catchiness of it. She’s just pressed and using the race card as an excuse.

• Like 6

I agree she should have been bigger by now , because SHE IS TALENTED . But gurl calm down and to use the word traumatizing .... It's out of proportions people die in Yemen from malnutrition , I get her frustration it sucks that people sleep on her but calm your rich *** ....:gagasmile:

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I like Tinashe but when RCA tried to mold her into going pop...:nonono: it just didn’t work and the music was lackluster. I really like Aquarius and songs 4 you, but I am not sure if race is a factor that works against her. I think she was onto something and then RCA blocked her which stalled her career and confused folks that knew her early work. :sobbing: Hopefully signing with RocNation will help her get the spotlight she deserves :jj:

• Like 3

Those excuses are ridiculous :huh:. However thinking about it, i find it difficult to name one Black male Music artist who is pop. They are all rap, hiphop, rnb. Right? Why is that, Black male artists are supposed to have a brand involving the gangster Mentality, i know things like cultural backgrounds and Authenticity is important but it should be possible to convey that through pop Music too :mhm:

• Like 2

I don't think she's saying saying that because she's black people don't care about her music, but how the industry works making black artists be "urban" and white people "pop", which is true. The problem with her music career is that she tried shooting at all different directions, and nothing besides 2 On or Hands On Deck really caught people's attention.

I don't follow her career that closely, but I believe is a matter of bad management, with them not knowing how to sell her and try to appeal to a certain public, and bad songs (sorry about it). It's a pitty because she's talented, but at least now she has some fans out there (I guess :teigen:).

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

tinashe-pop.jpg.c71469d008110368d10c7afb1b47ce07.jpg

Tinashe says she tried creating pop music, but the general public didn't embrace it because she's black. 

"As a black woman I fought HARD AF , for years, to be considered 'pop' by my label without changing my sound because of the inevitable ceiling I felt was put on the urban and rhythmic departments.... then the pop department didn’t find my music acceptable so I molded it for them," she said.

"& in an attempt to make my sound more pop department friendly, the public rejected it, I lost my spirit/ inspiration as a creative, &had to part ways with the label entirely. Luckily I’ve thrived as an independent artist, but I know first hand how insidious & traumatizing this is."

Tinashe makes valid points. I often see black artists placed in urban and R&B categories versus pop because they're black. At the same time, it's worth pointing out that the king of pop was Michael Jackson, and Janet Jackson is considered pop versus urban or R&B, but they're outliers. 

Regardless, Tinashe is right and that must be super frustrating to be put in a box due to the color of your skin. 

Thoughts, Exhale? 

Related:

What a clear way to play the victim, and bringing race into it. Her not success has nothing to do with her being black. And if she was the creative she claims she is, why "molding" her creations to be liked? That's where she turn wrong.

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block