Tinashe: the general public rejected me as a pop artist

Tinashes problem was she took too long trying to find her sound. She went from r&b, to pop, the alt-r&b, then to dance/house. Luckily she found her sound with “songs for you” (the album is phenomenal). Also, she failed to connect with the public. We know literally nothing about her as a person except that she’s beautiful, biracial, can sing and dance...and that’s it. The closest we got to getting to know Tinashe was her proactive commercial when she first came in the scene with “2 on” (which is still a bop). It’s too late for her to pop off mainstream in my opinion, but she’s got a good following and will be fine in the long term 

also, did they really call her an “acclaimed singer” in this commercial? :billie:

• Love 1
On 6/18/2020 at 4:09 PM, bitbitboi said:

I also feel like Tinashe is amazing but... Is she absolutely NECESSARY? omg I can't believe I'm saying this out loud because I love her but is she missed if she's not around? What does she bring to the table that no one else does?

This. She's beautiful, she can dance, she's got a pretty voice. But what is she bringing to the table that other current artists are not? She's a generic girl, and thus the GP was not here for it. Which is shocking, considering the other generic messes topping the charts in recent years. :angietea:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
On 6/18/2020 at 3:09 PM, bitbitboi said:

I feel like Tinashe is too ****** and too aggresive as a pop girl. Once I read (it was a long time ago, don't shoot the messenger! CHILL) that successful female popstars are the ones who can seduce men but look friendly to women. And Tinashe seems to be "2 on" all the time... Even Britney and Xtina in their sexiest moments threw a ballad here and there once in a while.
I also feel like Tinashe is amazing but... Is she absolutely NECESSARY? omg I can't believe I'm saying this out loud because I love her but is she missed if she's not around? What does she bring to the table that no one else does?

Last thing a Black woman wants to hear is her being called aggressive. Us speaking up, or even pointing out the obvious is always considered aggressive (because the thin alabaster skins love to do wrong, but let us point it out...it's over,) or the pull some bogus facts to divert attention (black on black, etc). With THAT being said, I just didn't see it for her. Her niche was unfortunately not very genuine or convincing. It's funny how we created all the music people know and love today, but we still gotta fight for our own ****, to live, to breathe!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Sunset8 said:

Last thing a Black woman wants to hear is her being called aggressive. Us speaking up, or even pointing out the obvious is always considered aggressive (because the thin alabaster skins love to do wrong, but let us point it out...it's over,) or the pull some bogus facts to divert attention (black on black, etc). With THAT being said, I just didn't see it for her. Her niche was unfortunately not very genuine or convincing. It's funny how we created all the music people know and love today, but we still gotta fight for our own ****, to live, to breathe!

By "too aggressive" I mean all the time. That's her one note. I mentioned ballads too. I don't like aggressive people, period. This is not about race to me. Xtina can also be super aggresive (Dirry, Not Myself Tonight... That's not "****" to me)

• Like 1
On 6/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, OnlyBeyonce said:

beyoncè,whitney houston, aretha franklin, rihanna, mariah carey,  and the list can goes on,  are all black female singers and  they are so popular and talented and people love them. Don't use your skin color like an excuse to be a flop :lessons:

Whatever her struggle was is her to tell and has all my respect. Now, she is free delusional if she thinks she is a flop because her skin color. This post I quoted summarizes it.

Meghan Trainor is also a great example. She is white and shehas, basically failed, besides her very first singles. 

Some just don't have it. Sorry.

I think she just didn't have the right team/label to support and promote her career.

As part of the "general public" I've never rejected her. I just don't know her or any of her songs besides Slumber Party. Literally, if it wasn't for Exhale, I wouldn't have known her at all, and I'm still baffled at how the collaboration even happened (I mean, we know Britney loves to collaborate with flops, but at least most of the times they're slightly known in the first place).

• Haha 1

I screamed reading these two things. :gloriascary:

5 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

As part of the "general public" I've never rejected her.

5 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I'm still baffled at how the collaboration even happened (I mean, we know Britney loves to collaborate with flops

:gloria::haha::orangu::imacat::dead:

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Bigno said:

Some just don't have it. Sorry.

This is something I keep thinking, not just for Tinashe (I rarely think about her) but all the artists in general, like all these threads about Katy Perry, and others we've seen lately.

And I think Britney is to blame, indirectly. Ever since Britney made it into the scene, I feel like everyone has felt like, or that's the impression I have anyways, that their thinking is "if someone like Britney can do it, I can do it too". Like, ever since Britney became so successful, everyone and their mother has tried to have the same career and success as hers, like "why can't I have the same, if I'm even more talented than Britney" kind of thinking.

And it's like suddenly we have to support every single artist that starts a career or that wants to have a space in the music scene, and every single one deserves the same kind of success and popularity and recognition, as if it was a rule that any talented, good looking girl has to become an idol, or just because they work hard, we have to love them all equally. And I mean, yeah, they can all try, they can all have the chance, but if they don't click with the public, they don't click and that's it.

And it's the same if they start flopping later in their careers, like Katy is doing 10 years after her debut. Not because Britney was still having hits 15 years later it means that EVERY single artist is gonna have the same fate. Some may have shorter success, or longer, or bigger or smaller, and that's something that is out of anyone's control. If they have that X factor, they have it, and if they don't, they don't.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block