Tinashe: the general public rejected me as a pop artist

Why are y'all acting like it's wild to bring race into the discussion??  Pushing her music as r&b or hip-hop instead of pop would definitely effect where her music is being seen and heard, what playlists the songs are being pushed on Spotify, apple, etc...what radio stations are playing the songs, films/tv shows that would place the music.  The things that really make songs seep into the GP beyond just us who are actively seeking out music.  This woman can sing, dance, and has a creative vision to what she's doing....but we pay her dust and gunna push an Ava Max instead!?!  

And for every Beyonce and Rihanna that "made it" and y'all think proves the point that black women can make it in pop....there's a Myà or Ciara or Toya or Blaque or 3LW that shoulda been way bigger popstars than they ended up being.  Not to mention the fact that people always trying to diminish and forget the success of pop ICONS like Janet!!

• Love 1
On 9/27/2020 at 1:09 PM, PickleSpears said:

Not many people even know who she is. She doesn't really have hits and she's not a memorable person. She's a decent dancer and that's about it.

No way. She not only writes all her own stuff, she produces it herself, and creates all her own choreo and video concepts. She's also an amazing singer.  

4 hours ago, HippoSteaks said:

No way. She not only writes all her own stuff, she produces it herself, and creates all her own choreo and video concepts. She's also an amazing singer.  

That's great but what I said still stands. Nobody knows about her. I had hardly heard of her until Slumber Party and then I looked into her and didn't enjoy her music, like most other people.

18 minutes ago, PickleSpears said:

That's great but what I said still stands. Nobody knows about her. I had hardly heard of her until Slumber Party and then I looked into her and didn't enjoy her music, like most other people.

I mean, 5 million monthly listeners on spotify isn't nobody.  Lots and lots of people know her. She's not Rihanna or something, but she's very known. 

1 hour ago, HippoSteaks said:

I mean, 5 million monthly listeners on spotify isn't nobody.  Lots and lots of people know her. She's not Rihanna or something, but she's very known. 

Like I said, good for her. But her highest charting album was #17 and that was in 2014. Her last one was #147. Yikes. And she only has three songs that charted on the BB Hot 100 (one bc of Britney). Her only solo song that charted was #24 in 2014.

The topic is about people rejecting her as a pop star but there are reasons for it. Like I said before she's not a "star", she doesn't make music good enough to be hits, she doesn't have memorable performances, etc.

14 hours ago, PickleSpears said:

Like I said, good for her. But her highest charting album was #17 and that was in 2014. Her last one was #147. Yikes. And she only has three songs that charted on the BB Hot 100 (one bc of Britney). Her only solo song that charted was #24 in 2014.

The topic is about people rejecting her as a pop star but there are reasons for it. Like I said before she's not a "star", she doesn't make music good enough to be hits, she doesn't have memorable performances, etc.

You sound like she stole your boyfriend. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block