Advice on getting my nephew into Harry Potter?

3 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

I have all the books (they're my brother's, but he left them behind when he moved out), but I haven't read any of them. :firega: I took the ultimate sorting hat quiz (the one that has ALL the questions), but I don't quite remember my results. I think it was Hufflepuff. :ohwut: Wish I was Slytherin, though. Green is my color. :clicktina:

You should totally give them a shot and try reading the first one! You most likely won't regret it. :)

1 minute ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Ok, I retook it:

Hufflepuff (86%)

Slytherin (48%)

Ravenclaw (48%)

Gryffindor (22%)

As for the gift, an audiobook is definitely a good idea. Though, it might not be as flashy. :) Get the book and then if he struggles, get the audiobook. If you're willing to splurge, of course. :clicktina:

Thanks for the idea! I'm always willing to splurge on that little s.hit. :makeitrain:

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

They're in Latvian, though. One of my professors told me that one MUST read Harry Potter in English, and, tbh, I get what she's saying. :)

Oh okay, I can understand that. I once read the first book in Latin and it was very... different. :umwtf: It was definitely a direct translation, but it felt very stiff and formal. I plan on reading it in Hawaiian next. :barbie:

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

You are:unreal:

Wiki says that these are Hufflepuff traits:

Spoiler
  • diligence 
  • dedication 
  • fairness ✔️
  • patience 
  • kindness ✔️
  • tolerance ✔️
  • modesty ✔️
  • loyalty ✔️
  • honesty ✔️

I guess for the most part I am. :) I just checked Ravenclaw traits and I'm definitely more Ravenclaw. I think I'm Ravenclaw on the inside, but I present myself as Hufflepuff because I don't want to be seen as arrogant. :gagasmile:

• Haha 1
  • Super Mods

I think sharing your excitement with him will motivate him. My mom is the same way with me and I would dive into books to escape from it all and creating that positive experience will only make him associate good things about it and so when he’s feeling down, he might pick it up as comfort. Adding candy to the mix will only make it fun and something he would cherish in the future as a fond memory. :)

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

I guess for the most part I am. I just checked Ravenclaw traits and I'm definitely more Ravenclaw. I think I'm Ravenclaw on the inside, but I present myself as Hufflepuff because I don't want to be seen as arrogant. 

Well, yes but if you read the books, they're more than that. Those are just the textbook descriptions. :mhm: And i wouldn't use those traits to describe you. I'll say you're cute and smart but like to keep silent and just in the shadows and you're a gentle person. :barbie:

• Like 1

book challenge GIF
I say do it.  It might be the best thing for him.  Maybe get the physical book and the audio so he could follow along.  I know I used to read aloud to myself as a kid.  It always helped me process the information better.  And I loved the Harry Potter books.  I whizzed through them.  My little brother has only ever seen the movies and I always coax him to read the books.

• Love 3
  • Content Curators
3 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Aww, this is so sweet. 💛🧡💜 I suggest you go for it. When your heart wants it, it means it's good. And reading this, I can really feel your love for your nephew. Anything that comes from a place of Love is the best course of action. So I say just do it! :barbie:

RANDOM ROXXY REWARDS TIME!

Because I am amused by this Harry Potter topic, I'd like to reward 500 Exhale points (Exhale money) to the first one to guess my house, correctly - according to Pottermore Sorting Hat Quiz.

LET'S GO. :imacat:

Ravenclaw I mean pls...hhh

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

I think sharing your excitement with him will motivate him. My mom is the same way with me and I would dive into books to escape from it all and creating that positive experience will only make him associate good things about it and so when he’s feeling down, he might pick it up as comfort. Adding candy to the mix will only make it fun and something he would cherish in the future as a fond memory. :)

8 minutes ago, Mattyj7883 said:

book challenge GIF
I say do it.  It might be the best thing for him.  Maybe get the physical book and the audio so he could follow along.  I know I used to read aloud to myself as a kid.  It always helped me process the information better.  And I loved the Harry Potter books.  I whizzed through them.  My little brother has only ever seen the movies and I always coax him to read the books.

2 minutes ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

Try giving him the audio book to read along with too! It helped me as a kid as I (only sometimes) would use an audio book as I grew up with focusing issues as well hehe

Thanks for the encouragement and audiobook advice guys! I'll definitely be giving him that along with the physical copy. :tbh:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Content Curators

Also if he’s really bent on not reading it Ik as a personal Harry Potter fan how touchy hp fans can be pertaining to the movie but he’s still only 10 so maybe try watching like half the movie(1st) with him and then if he’s really interested tell him to find out what happens next By reading the book (with audiobook) 

Just a suggestion with kids cause sometimes it takes a little bit of pushing to get them into something 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, puppylo16 said:

THIS!

Don't underestimate your nephew, he'll be able to read it at his own pace, and I'm sure he'll enjoy it. The most important thing is for you to show him WHY you like the story so much, what makes it special for you. And maybe you can watch the first film together? And then gift him the book! Here it is a beautiful ILLUSTRATED edition!!:
https://shop.scholastic.com/parent-ecommerce/books/harry-potter-and-the-sorcerers-stone-the-illustrated-edition-9780545790352.html

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

THIS!

Don't underestimate your nephew, he'll be able to read it at his own pace, and I'm sure he'll enjoy it. The most important thing is for you to show him WHY you like the story so much, what makes it special for you. And maybe you can watch the first film together? And then gift him the book! Here it is a beautiful ILLUSTRATED edition!!:
https://shop.scholastic.com/parent-ecommerce/books/harry-potter-and-the-sorcerers-stone-the-illustrated-edition-9780545790352.html

28 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

And here there's a flip through video of the book!:

I actually forgot this existed. Maybe I'll get him this instead. Thanks for the reccomendation! :kisses:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block