Advice on getting my nephew into Harry Potter?

So my oldest nephew is turning 10 on the 15th and I really want to give him the first Harry Potter book as a present. However, I'm worried he won't read it. My nephew is very smart and does well in school, though he also has ADHD which causes him to struggle to read anything that's not an audiobook or a graphic novel. :gagasmile:

Originally, I sent my sister the link to the Pottermore house sorting quiz to see what house he's in because they make versions of the Philosopher's Stone that are based on each house. The Gryffindor book looks like this:

9781408883747_310318.thumb.png.f6502ad13

Of course, being that we're American, I've never read the Philosopher's Stone but instead the Sorcerer's Stone. I never thought there would be a difference in the books aside from the titles, but apparently some bits are left out such as Dean Thomas' race. They also use British terms. This wouldn't be an issue for me, but I'm hesitant to get this now because I'm not sure my nephew would be able to handle it.

To entice him to read it, I plan on giving him the standard Harry Potter candy and chocolate like Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, a chocolate frog, a bottle of non alcoholic Butterbeer, etc. I really want him to read the books because my sister can be hard on him and very obviously favors his younger brother, so I just want to give him something to escape to. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how I can do this aside from what I've already thought of? :yaknow: Any help would be appreciated. :) 

harry.jpg.4fd7eee3a27a4e6ccfaf6d5cf37be4b7.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Aww, this is so sweet. 💛🧡💜 I suggest you go for it. When your heart wants it, it means it's good. And reading this, I can really feel your love for your nephew. Anything that comes from a place of Love is the best course of action. So I say just do it! :barbie:

RANDOM ROXXY REWARDS TIME!

Because I am amused by this Harry Potter topic, I'd like to reward 500 Exhale points (Exhale money) to the first one to guess my house, correctly - according to Pottermore Sorting Hat Quiz.

LET'S GO. :imacat:

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

Aww, this is so sweet. 💛🧡💜 I suggest you go for it. When your heart wants it, it means it's good. And reading this, I can really feel your love for your nephew. Anything that comes from a place of Love is the best course of action. So I say just do it! :barbie:

Because I am amused by this Harry Potter topic, I'd like to reward 500 Exhale points (Exhale money) to the first one to guess my house, correctly - according to Pottermore Sorting Hat Quiz.

Thank you for saying that. :hugs: And as for your house, this may seem out of nowhere but I'm going to say Ravenclaw. It's probably HufflePuff and I'm just being dumb but I don't know. I just get a Ravenclaw vibe from you. :mhm:

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, AmorProhibido said:

And as for your house, this may seem out of nowhere but I'm going to say Ravenclaw. It's probably HufflePuff and I'm just being dumb but I don't know. I just get a Ravenclaw vibe from you.

Interesting. I'll wait for other answers. Once all houses are mentioned, I'll reveal the answer via a screenshot of my account. :tiffdrink:

• Love 1

Excellent choice of book series! I've probably read the Harry potter series 15 times through and will still listen to the audiobooks every couple of years as well. I think you are getting him into the series at the perfect age considering I believe that Harry was 11 at the time of the first book and kids in the middle grade age range generally do best with protagonists they can relate to. I believe that I was the same age when I first read them as well.

I was always an avid read growing up and didn't have too much trouble picking up reading on my own, but I know that my sister though very smart, had trouble getting into reading. I know that my mom helped fix this by setting aside 30 minutes to an hour a night where she would read chapters out of a book to her. It made for a more enjoyable experience for my sister and within a year or so she was into it and was reading books on her own.

I'm sure with them being your nephew that is probably a harder thing for you to do, but maybe it is something you could encourage your sister to do. When you see them you maybe could even read the first couple chapters with him together to try and get him hooked. I think keeping consistent dialogue with him as he is reading the book and discussing it over facetime or in person could help alot as well. 

I think I would be hesitant to get the British version of the text as well. From my understanding the only significant plot changes occur in the first book, but there is still vocab I think could throw him off throughout. My suggestion would be to maybe once he takes the sorting house quiz to get him a T-shirt/hat/plushie/sock that represented that house instead and pair that with the American version of the book. 

Anyways, I'm not sure if that helped but those would be my suggestions! :) 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Roxxy said:

My guess is Gryffindor :)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Prime said:

Excellent choice of book series! I've probably read the Harry potter series 15 times through and will still listen to the audiobooks every couple of years as well. I think you are getting him into the series at the perfect age considering I believe that Harry was 11 at the time of the first book and kids in the middle grade age range generally do best with protagonists they can relate to. I believe that I was the same age when I first read them as well.

I was always an avid read growing up and didn't have too much trouble picking up reading on my own, but I know that my sister though very smart, had trouble getting into reading. I know that my mom helped fix this by setting aside 30 minutes to an hour a night where she would read chapters out of a book to her. It made for a more enjoyable experience for my sister and within a year or so she was into it and was reading books on her own.

I'm sure with them being your nephew that is probably a harder thing for you to do, but maybe it is something you could encourage your sister to do. When you see them you maybe could even read the first couple chapters with him together to try and get him hooked. I think keeping consistent dialogue with him as he is reading the book and discussing it over facetime or in person could help alot as well. 

I think I would be hesitant to get the British version of the text as well. From my understanding the only significant plot changes occur in the first book, but there is still vocab I think could throw him off throughout. My suggestion would be to maybe once he takes the sorting house quiz to get him a T-shirt/hat/plushie/sock that represented that house instead and pair that with the American version of the book. 

Anyways, I'm not sure if that helped but those would be my suggestions! :) 

Me, my other sister, and her husband are the same way. We read the books and watch the movies all the time. They even went to Universal for their honeymoon and tried to take me once but I had school. :haha: And yeah, reading aloud to him and encouraging her to do the same is a great idea! He loves audiobooks so that would be an excellent way to shove the books down his throat lol.

I think I will just settle with the American book and if he ends up becoming a fan, maybe get the house edition when he's older. Thanks for your input! :sendinglove:

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Roxxy said:

Slytherin like me :clicktina:

• Love 2
  • Haha 2

If you are worried that he won’t read the book I really love the graphic novel idea. Something to consider is the audiobook as well? I know there are some people who enjoy hearing a book rather than reading it. I would also see if you’re able to order a wand from universal studios? Anyways I used to be a bigger fan growing up, but not that much of a stan nowadays so I’m sorry I don’t have more recommendations :kidcries:

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

If you are worried that he won’t read the book I really love the graphic novel idea. Something to consider is the audiobook as well? I know there are some people who enjoy hearing a book rather than reading it. I would also see if you’re able to order a wand from universal studios? Anyways I used to be a bigger fan growing up, but not that much of a stan nowadays so I’m sorry I don’t have more recommendations :kidcries:

Yeah, I've thought about getting him the audiobook. I think I will if he starts struggling to read it. And yes, a wand from Universal would be such a cute gift. Though that may be something for Christmas. I don't want to get one of their $60 wands only for him to not enjoy the series. :zoomzoom: Don't worry about not being a stan or having anymore reccomendations, I love what you said. Thank you for the suggestions. :kiss:

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block