Kylie Minogue announces new album "Disco," drops lead single "Say Something"

3 hours ago, PickleSpears said:

I know, I'm a huge Kylie fan. I was saying I don't want a disco-themed era, like Golden was a country-themed era. I want just a normal era with great music, cool visuals, and (if she does them) some interesting live performances. I love the Slow performance from Graham Norton last year and I'd love an era inspired by that - sleek, fashion-forward, but mature in a **** way.

EDIT: Based on the album cover, it looks like we're getting a disco-themed era after all...

PS. Why is the album being released 4 months after the single? Seems like a long time apart.

Maybe because they are scrappig most of the original concept with Mirwais songs to record a whole new disco album since Dua and Gaga are having disco "hits"

:wontcry:

51 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

The album cover is so...cheesy :imok: 

I expected a Future nostalgia and timeless aesthetic :tear:

But Future Nostalgia is all 80's inspired. The only disco song was Don't Start Now. Kylie's DISCO art reminds me a lot album covers from the 70's, like Donna Summer and Diana Ross

8 minutes ago, RebelMe said:

But Future Nostalgia is all 80's inspired. The only disco song was Don't Star Now. Kylie's DISCO art reminds me a lot album covers from the 70's, like Donna Summer and Diana Ross

Uhhh, actually future nostalgia was a 70s inspired record. The only 80s influenced songs are physical and cool. Songs like future nostalgia , levitating (Electro-disco), pretty please (70s disco), hallucinate (disco-house), break my heart and even physical (italo disco), and love again (nu-disco) are all disco songs of the album. The album is a dance-pop and funk-pop (which is the parent of disco), disco, and 80s synth-pop.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Uhhh, actually future nostalgia was a 70s inspired record. The only 80s influenced songs are physical and cool. Songs like future nostalgia , levitating (Electro-disco), pretty please (70s disco), hallucinate (disco-house), break my heart and even physical (italo disco), and love again (nu-disco) are all disco songs of the album. The album is a dance-pop and funk-pop (which is the parent of disco), disco, and 80s synth-pop.

https://www.mtv.com/news/3148945/dua-lipa-future-nostalgia-song/

This synthy scene then gets thrust into the future with robotic voices and harsh, technical roaring as robots come flying out of the water to take over the world. "Future Nostalgia" is a bit like this: completely bonkers yet irresistible as its funk roars on while keeping one foot in the world of yesterday and another in the distant, AI-led future.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/future-nostalgia-mw0003359848 

In the spirit of pulse-pounding classics like Kylie Minogue's Fever or Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor, Lipa channeled the best of past decades -- '70s disco, '80s dance-pop, and '90s club jams -- to create her own joyous, sweat-glistened vision of bliss.

break my heart and even physical (italo disco)

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9345029/dua-lipa-future-nostalgia-album-songs-ranking

With a thumping sample of INXS’s chart-topping 1987 smash "Need You Tonight" as the base, “Break My Heart” transforms into a downright **** jam.

love again (nu-disco) 

https://www.theringer.com/music/2020/4/2/21203935/dua-lipa-future-nostalgia-pop-music-album-releases

“Love Again” samples White Town’s oddball ’90s hit “Your Woman” and lets the orchestra run wild.

46 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

future nostalgia , levitating (Electro-disco)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia opens with its title track, a playful and fun synth-pop and electro-funk song, with hip hop, disco and 1980s elements. It has an electronic production that includes electroclash synths and a disco beat.

The dancefloor-ready fifth track "Levitating" contains 1990s R&B elements, and blends multiple genres including electro-disco, space rock, dance-rock and power pop. Its production includes syncopated handclaps, talk box vocals, synth-beats, and disco strings.

As I said, it's more 80's close to the 90's than the 70's. 

Edited by RebelMe
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Snesh said:

Maybe because they are scrappig most of the original concept with Mirwais songs to record a whole new disco album since Dua and Gaga are having disco "hits"

:wontcry:

Mirwais was never confirmed as a producer. The rumours were about Kylie being featured on Mirwais next album. 

It was always intended to be a "Disco Theme" album 

https://www.newnownext.com/kylie-minogue-teases-new-grown-up-disco-music/12/2019/ 

Date 12/24/2019

After her most recent release, Golden, Kylie became a country music queen, but she teases that her next music phase will shine more like a disco ball than a rhinestone.

“This year, with Glastonbury, with this TV show, it’s marking this point in time, but what’s great is what’s happening next. I’m really jazzed about [the music] to come,” she tells Carr. “I think it’s going to be getting back on the dance floor, like grown-up disco; that’s where I want it to be. Shimmery.”

17 minutes ago, RebelMe said:

Nnnn, I don’t think u get it. 
all of these songs are disco and are a sub-genre or parent of disco.

Wikipedia is the same source I used for the genre of each of these tracks and it does mention what I have said

Future nostalgia 

It has an electronic production that includes electroclash synths and a disco bea

Don’t start now 

is a retro nu-disco track with elements of Eurodance and dance-pop

Physical 

it includes dark wave and Italo disco elements,

Levitating

and blends multiple genres including electro-disco, space rock, dance-rock and power pop.

Pretty please

Pretty Please" is a 1970s disco

Hallucinate

synth-pop, disco-house 

Love again

It is a nu-disco, electro, and dance-pop song,

Break my heart

ninth track "Break My Heart" is a disco and dance-pop song

If you ask google what genre FN is it says...

Musically, Future Nostalgia is as a dance-pop, disco, funk-pop, and synth-pop record.

The album was called a “disco liberation” anthem by Rolling Stones headline

And like I did mention before, the parent of disco is dance and funk.

thus, proving my point.

maybe it does feel like 80s disco album. However, if this album were released in 1978, it would feel like this time

not to mention, that one of the sole producers of the album too produced COTD

28 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Nnnn, I don’t think u get it. 
all of these songs are disco and are a sub-genre or parent of disco.

Wikipedia is the same source I used for the genre of each of these tracks and it does mention what I have said

Future nostalgia 

Don’t start now 

Physical 

Levitating

Pretty please

Hallucinate

Love again

Break my heart

If you ask google what genre FN is it says...

Musically, Future Nostalgia is as a dance-pop, disco, funk-pop, and synth-pop record.

The album was called a “disco liberation” anthem by Rolling Stones headline

And like I did mention before, the parent of disco is dance and funk.

thus, proving my point.

maybe it does feel like 80s disco album. However, if this album were released in 1978, it would feel like this time

not to mention, that one of the sole producers of the album too produced COTD

I get your point, and I agree that Future Nostalgia have disco influences, but it is, sort of, what disco could be if it met the 80's and the 90's back in the day. And for my understanding of what disco (the genre) is, when you add electronic and synth beats on it, it becomes right away more 80's, because that was the way for the genre to stay alive, and go through beyond the 70's, after the Disco Demolition Night and the Discotheques got shut down or evolved into Night Clubs. 

• Like 2

I love that we finally have the name of the album! (though what about "Disko"? :p)
I love the aesthetic, she always has flawless graphic design, though I'm not sure about the pose of her hands and not being able to see them, that looks weird... But her look and make up are amazing! And I love both fonts. I'm excited for this new era!!

15 hours ago, RebelMe said:

I get your point, and I agree that Future Nostalgia have disco influences, but it is, sort of, what disco could be if it met the 80's and the 90's back in the day. And for my understanding of what disco (the genre) is, when you add electronic and synth beats on it, it becomes right away more 80's, because that was the way for the genre to stay alive, and go through beyond the 70's, after the Disco Demolition Night and the Discotheques got shut down or evolved into Night Clubs. 

True. However i have always felt that the 70s was more obsessed with the idea of space and such than to the 80s. To honestly FN also has 90s influences is kind of a stretch. However in the end, we can agree that it was a disco album

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block