Rumor has it Christina Aguilera will receive the Video Vanguard Award at the VMAs

23 hours ago, JordanMiller said:

Christina Aguilera has had some pretty epic music videos throughout her 20+ year career: Dirrty, Candyman, Fighter, Beautiful, Genie in a Bottle... 

A lot of her peers, including Britney, Justin Timberlake, P!nk, JLo, Missy Elliott, Beyonce, and Rihanna, among others, have already received it. 

Should Xtina get it next? If not... why do you feel that way? :chrissy:

xtina.jpg

I say no. Christina makes great videos, but I think this award is, or at least should be about artists who inspire and make iconic videos, and not just people who make quality videos. At the same time, didn't they give Pink this award? Under the paradigm of inspiration and being iconic, Pink wasn't deserving. So, with that being said, maybe she should get it, since this award seems to have lost all it's value. That's no shade to Christina. I like her, even moreso recently, but iconic and videos that have inspired others? I mean, I can't think of any, except maybe Beautiful.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:12 PM, BritneySpurs said:

No but neither does Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Kanye West, Rihanna, Pink, or JLo. Most of those artists have some really great videos but not many iconic ones. They didn't deserve the Video Vanguard Award.

I'd disagree with Beyonce/Rihanna, both have plenty of memorable videos, also Beyonce is known for her visual albums.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Isla said:

I'd disagree with Beyonce/Rihanna, both have plenty of memorable videos, also Beyonce is known for her visual albums.

Memorable is different than iconic. To get the Video Vanguard Award you really should have a plethora of iconic music videos. People don't make great music videos anymore so it's hard to find people who truly deserve it. That's why they're giving it to all the people they've been giving it to lol. You could def argue that Britney has a handfuls of iconic videos. But Beyonce's are prob limited to Crazy In Love, Single Ladies, and Formation. Rihanna's is basically just Umbrella. I'm not saying their other videos aren't good they're just not iconic.

Back in the day, they were giving this award to legendary artists like The Beatles, David Bowie, Madonna, Michael, and Janet who were super innovative and revolutionary with their videos. Nothing about these newer recipients' videos are innovative or revolutionary. Even Britney's weren't but at least she had iconic looks and choreography that made cultural impact. They may as well call the award "You Make a Lot of Music Videos Award" after Britney lol.

• Like 1

Yes, she should get this award. Period.

Her music videos are iconic - for example: Genie, Dirrty, Fighter, Beautiful, Lady Marmalade, Ain't No Other Man or Candyman - they are important part of pop-culture. :martini:

And let's not forget: Hurt (which still never fails to make me sad :crying3::fakecry:), Your Body :brit2016:, The Voice Within :urite:, and Not Myself Tonight!!! :letitburn::letitburn::letitburn::meryl::meryell:

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Lukass1896 said:

Yes, she should get this award. Period.

Her music videos are iconic - for example: Genie, Dirrty, Fighter, Beautiful, Lady Marmalade, Ain't No Other Man or Candyman - they are important part of pop-culture. :martini:

And let's not forget: Hurt (which still never fails to make me sad :crying3::fakecry:), Your Body :brit2016:, The Voice Within :urite:, and Not Myself Tonight!!! :letitburn::letitburn::letitburn::meryl::meryell:

How is Genie, Fighter, Ain't No Other Man, Candyman, Hurt, Your Body, or The Voice Within iconic? They made no cultural impact (the videos, not songs). Not Myself Tonight only made some kind of impact bc everyone was turned off by it.

26 minutes ago, BritneySpurs said:

How is Genie, Fighter, Ain't No Other Man, Candyman, Hurt, Your Body, or The Voice Within iconic? They made no cultural impact (the videos, not songs). Not Myself Tonight only made some kind of impact bc everyone was turned off by it.

Where did I say that Hurt, Your Body or The Voice Within etc. are iconic? :mhmsureny:Those were just my personal honorable mentions :mhm:

Everyone that were into pop-music knew (and LOVED) music videos like: Genie, Fighter, Beautiful, Dirrty etc. Those music videos are very often talked about/recreated even today - and often by famous and important people. :mattafact:

And even if some of those videos were not extremely popular, or "impactful" (even tho I don't know how music video can change anything, even a lot of Britney's "iconic" videos were not impactful, and did not change the world, but they are still iconic) they are still amazing music videos and that's why she deserves to get that award since so many others have it... :barbie::queenflopga:

I hate when soo many Britney fans hate everything associated with Katy or Christina just because they once or twice (in their entire careers) said something not very flattering/nice about Britney... :icant2: and even if you have to hate them just for that :chrissy: - at least learn to separate their artistic creations from their personal words and opinions about Brit:martini: :katycream:

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lukass1896 said:

I hate when soo many Britney fans hate everything associated with Katy or Christina just because they once or twice (in their entire careers) said something not very flattering/nice about Britney...

My opinion of who should and shouldn't get the Video Vanguard Award doesn't have anything to do with my feelings towards the artist or their songs/videos. It has to do with whose videos are iconic. Rihanna is one of my favorite artists and I've enjoyed a lot of her videos but I still didn't think she deserved the Video Vanguard Award. Only one or two made any kind of cultural impact which is what the award is for. Her videos, and Christina's and most of the people who won this award lol, are nowhere near the level of cultural impact or relevance from the legends who won this award before them.

7 hours ago, Lukass1896 said:

Everyone that were into pop-music knew (and LOVED) music videos like: Genie, Fighter, Beautiful, Dirrty etc. Those music videos are very often talked about/recreated even today - and often by famous and important people.

That's opinion based. I love pop music and really enjoy music videos and I didn't care for most of those examples (and I really loved Stripped as an album). The only video that I hear anyone ever mentioning is Dirrty and maybe Beautiful. Those are just a couple of videos out of her whole career that anyone still talks about, unless you can provide examples of anything else.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block