Rumor has it Christina Aguilera will receive the Video Vanguard Award at the VMAs

16 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Yeah, but like many other things, like the Super Bowl, they are a global event, and they're perfectly aware of it, especially since most of the MTV awards of other regions have disappeared

But Missy really broke boundaries for the hip hop scene. :mhm: Her videos were groundbreaking not just for black artists but for female rap artists. That is why she is highly regarded. Unlike Xtina who did not break any boundaries except for the 3 Stripped videos. She is and always will be the Voice of a Generation, but she is underrated (as an artist in general) because of Britney. That's why when it comes to having an iconic videography, hers will always fall flat or will not be as impactful as Britney's. Really, her only iconic music videos are the 4 that i listed. :bigkiss: and it's unfair for you to list the music videos that are iconic in Latin community because of course you guys will connect to it, she is YOUR own. A full blooded latina. Ok i mean, OURS. Cause I am 1/4 spanish. :haha:

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

And in any moment I was dragging Missy Elliott, nor I think she doesn't deserve it.

I just think that even besides all that, I still believe Christina deserves it even more. And as Christina yourself, I thought you would agree :rihit:

Except she doesn't considering The Rain, Get Ur Freak On and Work It are literally better than any of my videos and did more for the culture rihiit.gif 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Roxxy said:

But Missy really break boundaries for the hip hop scene. :mhm: Her videos were groundbreaking not just for black artists but for female rap artists. That is why she is highly regarded. Unlike Xtina who did not break any boundaries except for the 3 Stripped videos. She is and always will be the Voice of a Generation, but she is underrated (as an artist in general) because of Britney. That's why when it comes to having an iconic videography, hers will always fall flat or will not be as impactful as Britney's. Really, her only iconic music videos are the 4 that i listed. :bigkiss: and it's unfair for you to list the music videos that are iconic in Latin community because of course you guys will connect to it, she is YOUR own. I mean, OURS. Cause I am 1/4 spanish. :haha:

Well, I'm not saying she's at the level of Britney, not in a million years :donewithit: but when you start running out of options, eventually you get to Xtina. I mean, how many truly iconic videos does Pink have? Or Jlo? OR Missy? Or Kanye? 

If it was solely for the videos, then I think someone like Lady Gaga deserves it more, but it just doesn't feel like she deserves it yet. Even someone like Katy Perry :ugh: 

I would say Christina deserves it, and if not, then the Backstreet Boys or maybe even Eminem

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

but when you start running out of options, eventually you get to Xtina. 

OMG TEA but poor Xtina if they only picked her as a last resort. :haha:

14 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I mean, how many truly iconic videos does Pink have? Or Jlo? OR Missy? Or Kanye? 

Excuse your good looking charms but J.Lo has more iconic music videos than Xtina! OMG hello! Not you doubting her videography. :unreal: Kanye and P!nk yes I agree but also not so much. Because Kanye and P!nk have had such a strong connection with the general public. P!nk especially. And that is why she is iconic. She may not be OUR popstar but like it or not, she has outlasted Britney and Xtina. She has had the most consistent career among her contemporaries from the early 2000s. Besting Britney. Hers is just not the BOMBASTIC career because I have never even met a P!nk stan in my life :deadbanana: she's not the type of artist you stan. But she's there. P!nk is there. Kanye is the same when it comes to the black, rap, and hip hop community. Most pop music lovers (like you) will never understand P!nk and Kanye's impact because you like to keep to yourselves and your faves - and that's totally ok and not problematic and you're entitled to keep to your faves and live in that bubble. But as a pop culture fanatic like me, I get it. :mhm:

• Like 1

Hmmm i used to think so tbh. She has memorable and impactful videos but her legacy became stale. Her music and videos aren’t impactful anymore. Artistic? That’s up to anyone interpretation. I feel that they give this award to artists that inspired the newbies and I don’t hear much of anyone stating they were inspired by her artistry or videos. Demi Lovato...thats about it.  

IMO her memorable and impactful vids are:

Lady Marmalade 

Dirrty 

Beautiful

Fighter

Aint No Other Man 

Sorry but none of her vids from her Genie era were impactful. Generic yes and she would  probably agree. Shes got the grammy’s anyway 🤷🏽‍♀️ 

I think Nicki Minaj should get the next vanguard award. 

26 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Well, I'm not saying she's at the level of Britney, not in a million years :donewithit: but when you start running out of options, eventually you get to Xtina. I mean, how many truly iconic videos does Pink have? Or Jlo? OR Missy? Or Kanye? 

If it was solely for the videos, then I think someone like Lady Gaga deserves it more, but it just doesn't feel like she deserves it yet. Even someone like Katy Perry :ugh: 

I would say Christina deserves it, and if not, then the Backstreet Boys or maybe even Eminem

First off, Pink's videography, especially during the 2000s, was excellent. JLo also put in a lot of effort during her videos in the early 2000s and was huge in the Latin community. Missy, I already explained why and Kanye's music/videos literally defined over a decade of hip-hop culture. They were all massive names during the TRL phenomena and I think what MTV did was honor the best of the best. I do think Xtina deserves the award next but she would most likely have to be promoting an album or song to even be considered. Most likely, it'll probably go to Eminem if anything. I mean, he's been long overdue for the award and if they really want to go underground, Busta Rhymes, since his videos literally changed music video history and influenced everyone from Missy to Diddy to Eminem to Janet and more. 

Also, Gaga will most likely receive it during this decade. Can't think of anyone from her generation more deserving but it only makes sense that they finish handing out the awards to the 90s and TRL generation before moving forth with the YouTube (post-2008) generation. :peasants:

• Like 1

Yes I think Xtina should get it and I also think Gaga should too. I think if Gaga gets it this year then Xtina should get it next year or vice versa. Christina has shown creative range in her videos - Genie, WAGW, Dirrty, Can't Hold Us Down, Beautiful, Fighter, Hurt, Candyman, NMT, Fall in Line to name a few!

• Love 1
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

First off, Pink's videography, especially during the 2000s, was excellent. JLo also put in a lot of effort during her videos in the early 2000s and was huge in the Latin community. Missy, I already explained why and Kanye's music/videos literally defined over a decade of hip-hop culture. They were all massive names during the TRL phenomena and I think what MTV did was honor the best of the best. I do think Xtina deserves the award next but she would most likely have to be promoting an album or song to even be considered. Most likely, it'll probably go to Eminem if anything. I mean, he's been long overdue for the award and if they really want to go underground, Busta Rhymes, since his videos literally changed music video history and influenced everyone from Missy to Diddy to Eminem to Janet and more. 

Also, Gaga will most likely receive it during this decade. Can't think of anyone from her generation more deserving but it only makes sense that they finish handing out the awards to the 90s and TRL generation before moving forth with the YouTube (post-2008) generation. :peasants:

So Christina Aguilera wasn't big in the TRL days? 

But anyways, I think you and @Roxxy are giving me different reasons as to why other artists received the award or didn't. 

Ultimately, MTV decides who to give the award, according to whatever secret reasons they have. But I just want to understand what are the factual things they take into consideration. I think it's fair to start counting with Britney since she was the first one from this new generation to receive it, and it was the first Vanguard award they gave in a while. 

If it's about the VMA's, Britney was the least deserving, because she never won anything until 2008 with those awards that POM didn't deserve at all, and only won 1 more award for Womanizer (TTWE won the same year as the Vanguard Award). If it's because of TRL, then y'all tell me which were the greatest artists of the TRL era. 

I've always thought Britney got the Vanguard Award, because her impact and influence, as a true icon is undeniable. And by icon I mean, that you can see the red catsuit, the schoolgirl outfit, the blue flight attendant outfit, etc and immediately relate it to Britney and the respective  video/song. But how did they measure that? Who did they survey to know if they remember or not Britney's videos? We can't even say Britney's videos are the most played in the YT era. But then how many videos are they actually honoring? It certainly wasn't for videos like 3 or IUSA or BTMYH, but she does have a considerable amount like we saw in that awkward tribute.

artworks-000097342570-z390o4-t500x500.jp

Could they've done the same kind of tribute for Beyoncé?  I mean, the same amount of iconic video looks? Or for Justin? Or for Pink? JLO?!!  I really doubt so, but I think there aren't many other artists with the same amount of iconicness as Britney (that haven't gotten the award already). So then they must have found other reasons to pick the following recipients, and tbh seem a bit arbitrary to me. 

I still don't see what's the pattern or standard they're following. Rihanna has lots of hits and videos, but how many of them are actually recognized by the average Joe? You mention Jlo being big among the Latin community, but isn't Christina as well? If it's due to the artistry and sales, wasn't Christina the voice of the generation and won Grammy's and had multiple #1's? 

I'm not doubting or questioning the past recipients of the vanguard award, I just fail to understand why Christina wouldn't qualify, now that all of those artists already got theirs (and I seriously doubt it was just for their videography), especially when she DOES have a lot of videos, that she's shown a lot of different facets on them, that she's been part of MTV's history since the TRL days and has performed at the VMA's and all that stuff, I mean, we're not talking about Nelly Furtado or Mandy Moore or something, it's Christina Aguilera :outwithit:

I just would love to see like a list for each of those artists with the vanguard award, listing the videos that were relevant and made them a worthy recipient, and compare them to Christina's, because you won't tell me that ALL of Pink's videos were important, or all of Jlo's were, when I know that not even all of the Britney videos made an impact in culture.  I would love to see if you two even agree in which are the most important videos of those artists, if it's THAT obvious why they got the Vanguard Award and Christina hasn't. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

So Christina Aguilera wasn't big in the TRL days? 

But anyways, I think you and @Roxxy are giving me different reasons as to why other artists received the award or didn't. 

Ultimately, MTV decides who to give the award, according to whatever secret reasons they have. But I just want to understand what are the factual things they take into consideration. I think it's fair to start counting with Britney since she was the first one from this new generation to receive it, and it was the first Vanguard award they gave in a while. 

If it's about the VMA's, Britney was the least deserving, because she never won anything until 2008 with those awards that POM didn't deserve at all, and only won 1 more award for Womanizer (TTWE won the same year as the Vanguard Award). If it's because of TRL, then y'all tell me which were the greatest artists of the TRL era. 

I've always thought Britney got the Vanguard Award, because her impact and influence, as a true icon is undeniable. And by icon I mean, that you can see the red catsuit, the schoolgirl outfit, the blue flight attendant outfit, etc and immediately relate it to Britney and the respective  video/song. But how did they measure that? Who did they survey to know if they remember or not Britney's videos? We can't even say Britney's videos are the most played in the YT era. But then how many videos are they actually honoring? It certainly wasn't for videos like 3 or IUSA or BTMYH, but she does have a considerable amount like we saw in that awkward tribute.

artworks-000097342570-z390o4-t500x500.jp

Could they've done the same kind of tribute for Beyoncé?  I mean, the same amount of iconic video looks? Or for Justin? Or for Pink? JLO?!!  I really doubt so, but I think there aren't many other artists with the same amount of iconicness as Britney (that haven't gotten the award already). So then they must have found other reasons to pick the following recipients, and tbh seem a bit arbitrary to me. 

I still don't see what's the pattern or standard they're following. Rihanna has lots of hits and videos, but how many of them are actually recognized by the average Joe? You mention Jlo being big among the Latin community, but isn't Christina as well? If it's due to the artistry and sales, wasn't Christina the voice of the generation and won Grammy's and had multiple #1's? 

I'm not doubting or questioning the past recipients of the vanguard award, I just fail to understand why Christina wouldn't qualify, now that all of those artists already got theirs (and I seriously doubt it was just for their videography), especially when she DOES have a lot of videos, that she's shown a lot of different facets on them, that she's been part of MTV's history since the TRL days and has performed at the VMA's and all that stuff, I mean, we're not talking about Nelly Furtado or Mandy Moore or something, it's Christina Aguilera :outwithit:

I just would love to see like a list for each of those artists with the vanguard award, listing the videos that were relevant and made them a worthy recipient, and compare them to Christina's, because you won't tell me that ALL of Pink's videos were important, or all of Jlo's were, when I know that not even all of the Britney videos made an impact in culture.  I would love to see if you two even agree in which are the most important videos of those artists, if it's THAT obvious why they got the Vanguard Award and Christina hasn't. 

Omg nothing is arbitrary about it and I don't know why you're looking so deep into it or even trying to make it seem like it's a competition. outwithit.gif  I mean, we can cross out the fact that the Video Vanguard Award wasn't/isn't about who has the most VMA wins since those can be biased and don't really measure much quality or credibility, if anything at all. Also, the VVA isn't necessarily about sales, #1s, Grammys, accolades or even 'artistry', it's looking beyond that from a retrospective standpoint. What stood the test of time?

Keep in mind, most of, if not all the artists that received the VVA last decade where in the midst of very successful eras and/or promoting a body of work.

Also, there's different aspects of being a musical icon. Sure, someone like Pink may not have had the plethora of iconic imagery as Britney did, for example, but that's not to say her IMAGE, including her sound and entire package, wasn't influential during a time when crisp-clean, girl-next-door pop-stars were in. She even spoke (so eloquently btw) about it in her speech. JLo's imagery, for example, paved the way for so many aspiring Latin artists. I mean, not even Xtina was as famous as JLo was in the early 2000s. She was literally rivaling with Britney on a global interest scale. 

I mean, look at Mariah and Whitney for example. They are two of the most massive names in music history during the peak of MTV, yet they weren't really ever known for the imagery or music videos and therefore never received the award. Britney on the other hand relied heavily on imagery and music video dance, simple as that. The formula that propelled MJ to superstardom. That's not to say other hard-working artists in the industry didn't deserve any recognition either. All the Vanguard recipients, literally worked their a.sses off when it came to their music, videos, stage shows and imagery.

It's what makes pop culture so amazing because where one is lacking, another will fill in that void and almost always, there is room for everyone to fill in a void. Not everyone has to be 'Britney Spears' or 'Madonna' to receive a Vanguard Award and the fact that you're even insinuating that is literally foolish of you.

On the topic of Christina - nobody is really denying why she doesn't qualify but to answer your question about why she probably never received the VVA after they started handing them out every year from 2013 is probably because she was on a long hiatus between Lotus to Liberation and really had nothing to promote. JT had the massive 20/20 era, Beyonce with Self-Titled, Kanye with the anticipation of TLOP and so forth. Christina didn't release any music for nearly 5 years. People lost interest. If anything, it would have been cool for her to receive it in 2018 during the Liberation era but it went to JLo, who like Xtina, also had the iconic imagery and music videos behind her name. Not to mention, more longevity and public interest. 

With that being said, I don't think there's anyone more deserving of receiving the VVA award next than Eminem. Xtina can wait her turn :rihit:

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

Omg nothing is arbitrary about it and I don't know why you're looking so deep into it or even trying to make it seem like it's a competition. outwithit.gif  I mean, we can cross out the fact that the Video Vanguard Award wasn't/isn't about who has the most VMA wins since those can be biased and don't really measure much quality or credibility, if anything at all. Also, the VVA isn't necessarily about sales, #1s, Grammys, accolades or even 'artistry', it's looking beyond that from a retrospective standpoint. What stood the test of time?

Keep in mind, most of, if not all the artists that received the VVA last decade where in the midst of very successful eras and/or promoting a body of work.

Also, there's different aspects of being a musical icon. Sure, someone like Pink may not have had the plethora of iconic imagery as Britney did, for example, but that's not to say her IMAGE, including her sound and entire package, wasn't influential during a time when crisp-clean, girl-next-door pop-stars were in. She even spoke (so eloquently btw) about it in her speech. JLo's imagery, for example, paved the way for so many aspiring Latin artists. I mean, not even Xtina was as famous as JLo was in the early 2000s. She was literally rivaling with Britney on a global interest scale. 

I mean, look at Mariah and Whitney for example. They are two of the most massive names in music history during the peak of MTV, yet they weren't really ever known for the imagery or music videos and therefore never received the award. Britney on the other hand relied heavily on imagery and music video dance, simple as that. The formula that propelled MJ to superstardom. That's not to say other hard-working artists in the industry didn't deserve any recognition either. All the Vanguard recipients, literally worked their a.sses off when it came to their music, videos, stage shows and imagery.

It's what makes pop culture so amazing because where one is lacking, another will fill in that void and almost always, there is room for everyone to fill in a void. Not everyone has to be 'Britney Spears' or 'Madonna' to receive a Vanguard Award. 

On the topic of Christina - nobody is really denying why she doesn't qualify but to answer your question about why she probably never received the VVA after they started handing them out every year from 2013 is probably because she was on a long hiatus between Lotus to Liberation and really had nothing to promote. JT had the massive 20/20 era, Beyonce with Self-Titled, Kanye with the anticipation of TLOP and so forth. Christina didn't release any music for nearly 5 years. People lost interest. If anything, it would have been cool for her to receive it in 2018 during the Liberation era but it went to JLo, who like Xtina, also had iconic imagery and music videos. 

This is everything that I wanted to discuss but I didn't want to think too much and go in too deep because I wanted to make a quick reply so i could get back to playing with EasyThere. :haha:

But yes, period, everything, you nailed it. :thelook:

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

a b.itch had time today thelook.gif 

i can be serious when i want thelook.gif 

I like that you highlighted J.Lo's imagery because she outimpacts Xtina by 10x in not just her music videos but also as a fashion icon. She is more the icon for the Latin community than Xtina so i don't understand why people can undermine her Vanguard legitimacy.

And thank you for this.

the Video Vanguard Award wasn't/isn't about who has the most VMA wins since those can be biased and don't really measure much quality or credibility, if anything at all. Also, the VVA isn't necessarily about sales, #1s, Grammys, accolades or even 'artistry', it's looking beyond that from a retrospective standpoint. What stood the test of time?

And this

Also, there's different aspects of being a musical icon. Sure, someone like Pink may not have had the plethora of iconic imagery as Britney did, for example, but that's not to say her IMAGE, including her sound and entire package, wasn't influential during a time when crisp-clean, girl-next-door pop-stars were in. She even spoke (so eloquently btw) about it in her speech. 

And this

look at Mariah and Whitney for example. They are two of the most massive names in music history during the peak of MTV, yet they weren't really ever known for the imagery or music videos and therefore never received the award. Britney on the other hand relied heavily on imagery and music video dance, simple as that. The formula that propelled MJ to superstardom. That's not to say other hard-working artists in the industry didn't deserve any recognition either. All the Vanguard recipients, literally worked their a.sses off when it came to their music, videos, stage shows and imagery.

Like i said, basically everything you said, you nailed it. The VVA was never about anything else but imagery and Xtina was never known for that except for the Stripped era. That's why I mentioned 3 out of the 5 mvs from that era as her truly iconic ones. Her B2B era was nothing new and groundbreaking because that is a look she borrowed from the past.

You nailed it bish. I'm glad to know that when i'm not in the mood to serve it to someone, i can be assured that another pop culture-d Exhaler will be there to serve IT. :barbie:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block