Rumor has it Christina Aguilera will receive the Video Vanguard Award at the VMAs

Sitting here trying to think of iconic Xtina videos... :decisions:

Don't get me wrong, she has videos I love: Candyman is amazing, Beautiful was an important message, and Come On Over is the best Target commercial I've ever seen.

Dirrty I love, but it seemed like her version of I'm a Slave 4 U, which doesn't seem super vanguard-y.

I guess when I think of "Video Vanguard," they should have videos that everyone thinks are iconic and/or revolutionary.  Christina has been a solid pop mainstay for decades and deserves cred for that, but her videos aren't her strong point.  She's not up there with Missy, Britney, or Gaga.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 12:04 PM, YvonneSpears said:

Ofcourse she should receive it!

lana del rey yes GIF

She helped shape the world of pop we have now! Kids these days only care about whoever is trending or at the top of the charts. They don't take artistic integrity into account. That's why we ended up with all these mediocre, copy cats that every teen is worshipping. Thinking they are the first of their kind. Please!!! Broaden your horizon and educate yourselves on the core history of pop music and its culture. There will never be others such as Cher, Madonna, Britney, Christina or Jessica! EVER!! Girls might be able to come close but wont ever hit the mark of stardom they have! 

frustrated christina aguilera GIF

You fact check ANY music video done by any little pop star sensation out now and you will get some reference to at least one of the women I mentioned! It's a FACT!!

sam smith women GIF

So those of you who area saying Christina does not deserve it, respectfully take ssseeeevvvveeeerrrraaaallll seats!!!

phaedra parks have several seats GIF

Jessica tho? :quirkney:

She doesn’t deserve it in my opinion. Lady Gaga deserves it 100%. Look at just how many outstanding videos she’s put out. 

The Fame era - Just Dance, Poker Face and LoveGame were all fabulous pop videos but then came the iconic Paparazzi to really top it all off. Even the Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) video has a gorgeous aesthetic to bolster a slightly mediocre song. A flawless first era of videos.

The Fame Monster era - Bad Romance, Telephone and Alejandro, three of the greatest music videos of all time. The direction, the acting, the dancing, the storylines... incomparable. 

Born This Way era - AGAIN, she went all out!!! Basically making mini movies this time around - BTW, Judas, The Edge of Glory, You and I and the masterpiece that is Marry the Night, my fave video by anyone ever. 

ARTPOP era - Sadly external complications meant that Gaga wasn’t able to make this era the glorious wild ride it wasn’t meant to be but in spite of her various struggles, she still managed to pull off two exquisite videos. G.U.Y. (The ARTPOP film) was truly amazing.

Joanne era - Another relatively short era and the videos for PI, MR and Joanne weren’t anything particularly bedazzling but that was befitting the simplistic and warm theme of the Joanne album. They were still gorgeously stripped back visuals that worked for the songs. Also, the John Wayne video was marvellous and up there with one of her best. 

Chromatica era - Stupid Love and Rain on Me have been Gaga at her best, amazingly futuristic visuals. 

12 years of consistently iconic music videos and pop culture masterpieces and yet Xtina deserves it over Gaga for making a few decent videos over a decade ago?? Pfft please.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, ShatteredAss98 said:

She doesn’t deserve it in my opinion. Lady Gaga deserves it 100%. Look at just how many outstanding videos she’s put out. 

The Fame era - Just Dance, Poker Face and LoveGame were all fabulous pop videos but then came the iconic Paparazzi to really top it all off. Even the Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) video has a gorgeous aesthetic to bolster a slightly mediocre song. A flawless first era of videos.

The Fame Monster era - Bad Romance, Telephone and Alejandro, three of the greatest music videos of all time. The direction, the acting, the dancing, the storylines... incomparable. 

Born This Way era - AGAIN, she went all out!!! Basically making mini movies this time around - BTW, Judas, The Edge of Glory, You and I and the masterpiece that is Marry the Night, my fave video by anyone ever. 

ARTPOP era - Sadly external complications meant that Gaga wasn’t able to make this era the glorious wild ride it wasn’t meant to be but in spite of her various struggles, she still managed to pull off two exquisite videos. G.U.Y. (The ARTPOP film) was truly amazing.

Joanne era - Another relatively short era and the videos for PI, MR and Joanne weren’t anything particularly bedazzling but that was befitting the simplistic and warm theme of the Joanne album. They were still gorgeously stripped back visuals that worked for the songs. Also, the John Wayne video was marvellous and up there with one of her best. 

Chromatica era - Stupid Love and Rain on Me have been Gaga at her best, amazingly futuristic visuals. 

12 years of consistently iconic music videos and pop culture masterpieces and yet Xtina deserves it over Gaga for making a few decent videos over a decade ago?? Pfft please.

Xtina does deserve it, Gaga just deserves it more.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ShatteredAss98 said:

@CrazyButItFeelsAllright :shameless:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block