Rumor has it Christina Aguilera will receive the Video Vanguard Award at the VMAs

i was gonna say eh cause i thought barely anyone had it but then i saw the list of ppl that have it and like, how are p!nk and JLO any more worthy? i love p!nk but her videos are no better than xtina's...i feel bad for xtina, she neither has continued success like p!nk manages, a massive legacy and cultural presence like britney, active worship like beyonce gets from the beyhive, the success Dustin Timabland gets from doing songs for kids movies....she gets forgotten and discarded so often. and yeah her release schedule had no business being so sparse and her attitude was bad but she deserves the recognition, she was one of the most culturally relevant and successful female musicians of her decade. also kanye has won it? what...maybe i just haven't seen his videos much, but like, what

she's had many great videos..

looking simplistic and radiant in "I Turn to You" (omg this was filmed on my 1st birthday apparently?!?!?)

being kind of the weakest link in "Lady Marmalade" (but it's an amazing video obv so she's still great)

Y2K *** FIGHT CLUB IN "DIRRTY"

literally one of the best music videos of the decade with "Beautiful". so effective, so genuinely beautiful and moving, takes a powerful song and makes it universal with the depiction of topics people are often uncomfortable with but need to be confronted and discussed like such as unrealistic male beauty standards, eating disorders, domestic violence, public queer expressions of love, trans people and the idea of passing,  

saying "**** you eminem" while also producing the "busty black woman fanning self angrily" gif we all cherish in "Can't Hold Us Down"

kind of biting off Madonna's "Frozen" in "Fighter" but tbh it could've been an homage and it's not like a carbon copy by any means, either way they're both fantastic music videos

pulling off a beautiful aesthetic whilst overacting in a charmingly Xtina way in "Hurt"

doing what none of the other girls were doing in "Ain't No Other Man"

overacting once again (I don't think she understood what the pin-up style is all about lmfao) beautifully whilst dancing with her closest friends, brunette Christina Aguilera and ginger Christina Aguilera in "Candyman"

doing the best she could with the oversexualized, overbearing sound and image her label was forcing her into instead of the restrained, indie inspired electronic sounds she wanted (the queer baiting isn't cute though)

finally fitting right in with her overacting (burlesque is much more campy and ott than pin up is) in "I'm a Good Girl"

i was going to post some from liberation but i am A. lazy and B. need to do homework for college but for the record accelerate is a good video and so is fall in line <3

• Love 1
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Excuse me but Stronger 2.0 is iconic 

I've said this before but this video's production, as well as the song is HIGHKEY better than Stronger :lessons: Not to mention, it aged more gracefully :lessons:   Irresistible is still that girl :lessons:

Also some of the scenes in Stronger like the bridge scene and parts of the chair scene are literally so choppy and bad :peasants:

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

tbh, I used to think that she doesn't. I mean, I still think it lol she has some great videos, that I love, but then she has a bunch of other videos that not even her fans would recognize. She was never known for her videos, as Britney. 

Yet I feel the same about Missy Elliot, but she already got the award, so why not :yaknow:

not you trying to find an excuse to drag missy's legendary videography chrissy.gif 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Roxxy said:

Well, Missy has twice the number of iconic music videos than Xtina does. :deadbanana:

maybe in the US but I don't remember more than a couple from hers, and I think most of the artists that have gotten the award have had a bigger international impact.

The ones I consider more iconic from Christina are:

1. Ven Conmigo (Solamente Tú)
  2. Pero Me Acuerdo de Ti
  3. Lady Marmalade
  4. Dirrty
  5. Beautiful
  6. Fighter
  7. Candyman
  8. Not Myself Tonight
  9. Your Body

but, for example Genie in a Bottle and What a Girl Wants were very popular here in Latin America, even other singles like Ain't No Other Man or Keeps Gettin Better, not to mention her collaborations like Nobody Wants to Be Lonely or Moves Like Jagger 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

not you trying to find an excuse to drag missy's legendary videography chrissy.gif 

I mean I like her, but other than Work It and Get Ur Freak On and her feature on Lady Marmalade and the VMA's 2003 performance, I have never heard any other song or watched any other video from hers. I think I only saw once that WTF video she released relatively recently.

All the other artists that have received the award have a bigger presence internationally, thus making them more iconic and relevant, even if they're not precisely known by their videos, like Pink or Jlo.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

maybe in the US but I don't remember more than a couple from hers, and I think most of the artists that have gotten the award have had a bigger international impact.

The ones I consider more iconic from Christina are:

1. Ven Conmigo (Solamente Tú)
  2. Pero Me Acuerdo de Ti
  3. Lady Marmalade
  4. Dirrty
  5. Beautiful
  6. Fighter
  7. Candyman
  8. Not Myself Tonight
  9. Your Body

but, for example Genie in a Bottle and What a Girl Wants were very popular here in Latin America, even other singles like Ain't No Other Man or Keeps Gettin Better, not to mention her collaborations like Nobody Wants to Be Lonely or Moves Like Jagger 

Well the VMAs are in the US, Pokie. :bigkiss:

5 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I mean I like her, but other than Work It and Get Ur Freak On and her feature on Lady Marmalade and the VMA's 2003 performance, I have never heard any other song or watched any other video from hers. I think I only saw once that WTF video she released relatively recently.

All the other artists that have received the award have a bigger presence internationally, thus making them more iconic and relevant, even if they're not precisely known by their videos, like Pink or Jlo.  

Missy was big in the UK during her peak. She has almost, if not as many as Xtina's Top 20 entries. And Xtina has had a longer peak than Missy. :mhm:

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

And that's exactly why the award is measuring impact and outstanding achievements on music video film, not who has the bigger celebrity presence/is more international or sold more albums. Missy was never extremely famous, even here in the U.S., but again, it's not about who's more international. In fact, it was nice to see an artist like Missy finally getting the recognition considering she was always the underdog. Even Billboard credited her on that greatest pop stars of all time list for shifting the quality and landscape in music video film. The famous fish eye lens that we saw back and forth in music videos during the 90s/2000s was literally popularized by her and Busta Rhymes. :lessons:

Culture yourself. :lessons:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I love Christina but I going to say a big NO. :nonoNO:
Why? Because all her last eras she made like 2 music videos... MAX.
Bionic : 2 videos and Oh you missed Vanity ! :rupaulslap: 
Lotus : 1 video and a half, with Let There Be no Love handy cam vid :rupaulslap: 
Liberation : 2 videos with Fall in Line wasted on a 10 000 dollar production budget , and "where is MArIaAaa" vid ! :rupaulslap: 
She got SOOO lazy....

2 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

And that's exactly why the award is measuring impact and outstanding achievements on music video film, not who has the bigger celebrity presence/is more international or sold more albums. Missy was never extremely famous, even here in the U.S., but again, it's not about who's more international. In fact, it was nice to see an artist like Missy finally getting the recognition considering she was always the underdog. Even Billboard credited her on that greatest pop stars of all time list for shifting the quality and landscape in music video film. The famous fish eye lens that we saw back and forth in music videos during the 90s/2000s was literally popularized by her and Busta Rhymes. :lessons:

Culture yourself. :lessons:

And in any moment I was dragging Missy Elliott, nor I think she doesn't deserve it.

I just think that even besides all that, I still believe Christina deserves it even more. And as Christina yourself, I thought you would agree :rihit:

• Haha 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block