Who watched this live and what was your first reaction?

DarkLord

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was more worried about her hair than the performance. I generally liked it. I was feeling her vibe more than to care about the choreography. I was mostly worried that people would see her extensions but that was the least of our worries. I didn't expect the negative press either. Everything seemed ok the day of the performance but the next day was hell. I thought her career was really over.

My first reaction was "She's lipsyching". The rest of perofrmance I was waiting for something interesting to happen but it never did. After it was over I gave a nervous laugh , shook my head, and headed straight to the fan forums.  I really thought she was going get it together for her comeback performance.  Before that performance, I chalked up 2007 to just being 'life' and Britney just going through a crappy patch. After I saw that, I finally accepted that the Blackout Era was going to be very different from what we were use to getting from Britney.

Still, always the loyal fan,  the demos for Blackout had already leaked and that assured me that Britney and her legacy would be OK no matter what she did. The Blackout demos kept a lot fans from freaking out.

I was underwhelmed and sad that Britney had fallen so far :wontcry:

Mad because I felt like she wasn't mentally ready and was pushed to perform for ratings or whatever :(

And worried about all the **** the media was going to say and that it would send her deeper into the hole she was in :icant2:

I remember myself thinking she was HEAVY and the performance was so boring...
But she was very HOT and her eyes were SO FREAKING ****!

And then, even here in Italy, the News on TV were talking bout it saying she was a mess
and I was so sad for her, because it was basically a body shaming.

Now, 10 years later, I think that was even more ICONIC than the Banana's one.
(I got a tatto of that day now)

I watched it live and I was sorta waiting for the Chris Angel thing to happen. There were many rumors the days before that her performance would involve a magic act, so I initially thought something went wrong and they had to scrap that last minute and that's why she looked a bit embarrased. 

Overall I immediately felt like it was iconic though.

Then the next days I was very disappointed at the media. There were covers that were like "oh the horror" like ***** please. I remember my bf at the time (who wasn't a fan) said something like "the newspaper wrote she couldn't even dance and didn't lipsync right)". I literally sat him on a chair and made him watch it, and then asked "now it's not as bad as they described it, right?" and he said "no you're right"

People's expectations were really really high, and she couldn't live up to them.

1 hour ago, sibode said:

I remember myself thinking she was HEAVY and the performance was so boring...
But she was very HOT and her eyes were SO FREAKING ****!

And then, even here in Italy, the News on TV were talking bout it saying she was a mess
and I was so sad for her, because it was basically a body shaming.

Now, 10 years later, I think that was even more ICONIC than the Banana's one.
(I got a tatto of that day now)

Do believe that 2007's was more iconic than the banana's one and Please show us that iconic tattoo. 

1 hour ago, everybodygoesdown said:

I watched it live and I was sorta waiting for the Chris Angel thing to happen. There were many rumors the days before that her performance would involve a magic act, so I initially thought something went wrong and they had to scrap that last minute and that's why she looked a bit embarrased. 

Overall I immediately felt like it was iconic though.

Then the next days I was very disappointed at the media. There were covers that were like "oh the horror" like ***** please. I remember my bf at the time (who wasn't a fan) said something like "the newspaper wrote she couldn't even dance and didn't lipsync right)". I literally sat him on a chair and made him watch it, and then asked "now it's not as bad as they described it, right?" and he said "no you're right"

People's expectations were really really high, and she couldn't live up to them.

I have "the horror" one in my collection. 

I was too young at the time (11) to realize what a true legendary awards show was supposed to look like, so I just remember Gimme More being everywhere around here (in Brazil), it was truly a new Britney Mania around here when blackout came out so I sat and watched it, and that was it. We all commented it at school the next day, how cool it looked and stuff, and how **** the whole thing felt. I never even knew there had been such a backslash until some four years later, when I started using internet more actively and discovered they labeled it everywhere as the 'worst show of her career'. :orangu:

To be quite honest, apart from her looking high on something and uncoordinated, I don't see a big difference between this and some basic pop stars performances at awards shows today. Now that I know her other performances, specially with Slave, it does feel sub-pair, but it's something one of these pop girls would do today and wouldn't receive so much hate, since everyone became so basic now.

I remember tuning in when she was about to come on  I was in college at the time. thinking OMG this will be interesting.  (once I saw her)

She looked so blah.. Stoned, out of it and her hair!! Ugh. I loved her outfit and the blue contacts, but I'm sure that was to hid her stoned eyes.. ? I was so embarrassed for her and just sad!! ? I remember saying to my mom what happened to her, I'm scared!! My mom knows how much I love Britney and didn't really have words. 

At that time mental health and awareness was always taboo to talk about or made fun of. It wasn't taken seriously. You just didn't talk about it, and unfortunately Britney was used as the punching bag for ridicule and that's not what was needed at the time. Her downward spiral became the platform in the millennium of what mental illness is. Looking back on it I can't believe her team allowed so much seeing her unravel.. :wontcry:

There was so much hype for her return. The world was watching her personal life take a turn, and there were already reports if her partying the night before. So I went into it kinda nervously. I think I just felt bad for her. Especially when Sarah Silverman came out right afterwards and called her kids mistakes and said “it’s so great that Britney has done everything that she’s ever going to do” or something like that. That wasn’t cool.

I was going out and partying a lot in Houston back then, and let me tell you... I have never had to defend/stand up for Britney as a fan more than during that whole 2007 era...and to a sh!tload of gay people, of all things. Of course, they came back around when Womanizer came out. Fake fans. lol

Archived