The story behind 'My Only Wish'

jonloch1

I was just listening to it and was wondering if anyone knew what the background story is on the song. and I don't mean what the song is  about because that's obvious. im talking about why she recorded it and why her and her record label dídnt do anything with it [as far as I know anyway]. I know it was recorded in 2000 and what I don't get is she was absolutely massive then so this would have had a good chance of being a big iconic Xmas song like Mariah Carey All I want for Christmas. so 1. why did she record it? and 2. why was nothing done with it?? I didn't even know it existed til like 2007

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, jwkrusie said:

I remember hearing back then that she was working on a Christmas album in 2000, thats where the Silent Night performance came from as well...but they scrapped it.

I remember that rumour as well but I'm not sure how true it is.

6 minutes ago, Stannedforever said:

:tehe:It was for jive's cash grab christmas album, everyone at the albums were big names so they probably didn't know that Britney's song could be played to this day, I mean the other songs are forgotten or just covers. Britney should honestly remake the song with video and add it to some of her albums  :demi:

bc6936ebb79f8349fe3b52cd564a5503.1000x1000x1.jpg

:tehe:

She definitely should make a video though, she can go to the mall and film it with Santa on her phone..

• Super Mods
2 hours ago, Born2Die said:

I remember reading something about her not wanting to record the track cu she never wanted to do an Xmas album but Larry made her. And she didn't even like the song.

I’m not surprised at this, Larry is always out to try to get another buck or two. 

It was record for a Xmas EP

It was scrapped... tracks were record , but Oops was becoming 1 of the biggest selling albums and the label wanted to push the album more, so MOW was placed on platinum Christmas to be released in Nov

Stronger was just released and doing great on the Hot 100... in Nov and by Dec it was already #11 ... there was no need to push a Christmas single ...

In 2001 the label was gettingready for her next album Britney ... You can't push Slave 4U something hot and **** and release a cute girlie Christmas song...

MOW is a Britney only song, artist request to cover it, like Mariah, Glee, Jessica Simpson..

And so on but all get denied because it's a signature Britney song now, and will stay that way thanks to Sony 

2 hours ago, DirtyMind said:

It’s true.  Back in 2004 a writer for Billboard said that he got to hear some of the tracks Britney recorded before the Christmas album was scrapped.  I can’t find a link now, though. 

Oh wow so I guess My Only Wish was maybe for this Christmas album then after all? 

5 hours ago, Born2Die said:

I remember reading something about her not wanting to record the track cu she never wanted to do an Xmas album but Larry made her. And she didn't even like the song.

If that’s true that’s sad. It’s a shame as I think the song is cute.

Archived