Julia Michaels: “No one can sing like Britney can!”

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, it’s true in the sense that Britney has an extremely distinct voice and it’s hard to cover her without comparing it to the original. Even Kelly Clarkson, who is arguably the best female singer around right now, covered “Everytime” and said “I wish I could sing it like Britney, she just sounds so sad and it has a beautiful quality” or something to that extent. Sometimes it’s not about vocal ability as much as execution.

Also, whenever people do “Toxic” covers they overwhelmingly tend to be very moody and more midtempo, which is interesting but just not the vibe of the song at all.

That being said, the magic of “Toxic” is definitely confined to the studio, because the majority of the vocals are so electronic they’d be impossible for a human to replicate live.

Personally, I don't think Britney has a strong vocal but for whatever reason, I like the way she emotes in her songs. She has that perfect voice for pop music. Also, charismatic and distinctive vocal. Not bland and dull.

Too bad she doesn't sing live anymore - with real voice or lolita voice. 

22 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

I mean, it’s true in the sense that Britney has an extremely distinct voice and it’s hard to cover her without comparing it to the original. Even Kelly Clarkson, who is arguably the best female singer around right now, covered “Everytime” and said “I wish I could sing it like Britney, she just sounds so sad and it has a beautiful quality” or something to that extent. Sometimes it’s not about vocal ability as much as execution.

Also, whenever people do “Toxic” covers they overwhelmingly tend to be very moody and more midtempo, which is interesting but just not the vibe of the song at all.

That being said, the magic of “Toxic” is definitely confined to the studio, because the majority of the vocals are so electronic they’d be impossible for a human to replicate live.

Did she sung Everytime live like the cd vocals tho? Can she? How much editing is there involved? LOVE the song tho

1 minute ago, brintyjoan said:

Did she sung Everytime live like the cd vocals tho? Can she? How much editing is there involved? LOVE the song tho

No, she didn’t sing it in falsetto like Britney even though she definitely has the ability. There’s basically nothing she’s incapable of vocally. It was a couple of years ago, but here’s the video (ironically, live in Vegas): 

It’s just okay as far as a Kelly performance goes, I wish she had put more effort into it. But Kelly is a huge Britney fan and always makes an effort to bring her up whenever possible, haha. 

1 hour ago, LostInAnImage said:

Yeah when Lea Michelle covered BOMT in Glee, it just proved how good Britney was. She made that song her own and even someone with pipes like Lea struggled 

Archived