Why Glory actually didn't "Flop"!

1 hour ago, Invitation said:

Can you elaborate how you expect someone of Britney's caliber to perform in terms of sales, streaming? Like Adele, Taylor Swift, who came to the scene way later?

Miley Cyrus - Younger Now sold 272,000 pure sales WW as of Jan 2018. Glory's pure sales 355,000 as of 2017 Feb.

There will be a day where Taylor Swift falls, and it's most likely her next album, if she keeps doing pop. Katy Perry, Gaga are all not doing so well compared to their peak. 

It’s not even about sales. It’s about impact and Glory had none. Even BJ had WB. BJ is a flop as well but it had something impactful at least. Glory had nothing. 

Nobody cared. It’s streams are terrible. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People honestly are far too quick to use such extreme words just for cases that do not meet their expectations or standards.

Some of today's most current and relevant pop stars from this generation can't even reach 200k in first week sales any more.
Some also take until the next year to reach a million sales WITH promotion and a year's worth of touring around the world.
Britney didn't have either of those things. Glory didn't flop, it just didn't do as well as it could have.

If anything it did moderately well, considering it was treated as nothing more than a promotional residency album.

1 minute ago, Kiiddy said:

Glory didn't flop, it just didn't do as well as it could have.
If anything it did moderately well, considering it was treated as nothing more than a promotional residency album.

I agree with this. For today's standards, I didn't think the album did that bad. It was promotion for Vegas so looking at it from that perspective, the album was a moderate success. 

Glory still remains amazing despite the numbers :jamout:

7 minutes ago, Phonography423 said:

This fan base must not realize people don’t buy albums anymore. It’s a lot of factors involved. It wasn’t a smash so I dont Know what you’re talking about 

And yet artists like Adele and Taylor still can pull over a million album sales in a week to this day.

Im sorry but for someone like Britney, having an album selling less then 1 mi in its lifespan is a flop. I love Glory, but facts are facts. Although I still have the strong belief that if the era was planned to be perfect, it could have the impact it deserved and sold almost 2 million copies based on SPS from all the potential singles such as Love Me Down, Liar, Better, Come Over, Change Your Mind and Just Luv Me. If Britney herself cared enough about "her baby", she could have made it work even after Slumber Party. She had plenty of time to record videos, promote and still do her shows in Vegas.

i.e. Look at Katy, by now she must had achieved 1 mi with Witness (last time I cheked she was close) and shes in such a bad place. Internet against her, half of fanbase turning their backs, critics destroyed her album cause it was trendy (its not the best but they painted it out as the worst in pop music), tour flopping hard but she still put out 3 singles and the Hey Hey Hey video for the fans. I wonder if shes gonna release the video for Tsunami already and she still has f**king Roulette in that album to close the era with a bop.

For all I mentioned up there, Glory flopped. Not because it deserved, but because it wanst carried as it should by her team, label and even her cause if she really wanted I dare to say she would still be working with it, serving hits and pulling the numbers that now she desperately needs to stay relevant :pleaseshhh:

4 hours ago, Invitation said:

I honestly think Britney has had a good run. She peaked, then went through a dark phase, and rose again during "Circus". Nothing lasts forever. Madonna and Kylie aren't going to match their numbers either. We should be happy there is Xtina that's always gonna be in the bottom tbh.

But Xtina hasn't peaked yet, or that is what her manager said  :cackling:

3 hours ago, Kiiddy said:

People honestly are far too quick to use such extreme words just for cases that do not meet their expectations or standards.

Some of today's most current and relevant pop stars from this generation can't even reach 200k in first week sales any more.
Some also take until the next year to reach a million sales WITH promotion and a year's worth of touring around the world.
Britney didn't have either of those things. Glory didn't flop, it just didn't do as well as it could have.

But first week sales don’t indicate success, they indicate core fan base. Britney, even now at her least popular has a large dedicated fan base because she’s the type of artist who collected millions of fans, became an icon and retained a group of diehards.

It’s us who flock to buy her stuff first week, send songs and albums up the chart but then they drop like a rock. Streams are really strong for a week and then again flatline.

In the list of most impactful (based on sales and streams) albums of 2016 Glory is 174. https://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2016/top-billboard-200-albums

This is a terrible ranking. She’s miles behind her peers and in fact ranks below albums out years before 2016. Yes her first week holds up to other people’s, but while general music lovers and the average listener tunes into gags, Rihanna, Justin, pink, Gwen and all the others, they don’t for Britney.

Her image and reputation is at an all time low. She needs the general public to buy into her again and until she changes her image and updates herself it’s not going to happen.

I love Glory, but can’t deny it was the 3rd, if not 5th album in a row that she hasn’t put her heart and soul into promoting.

1 hour ago, Mantequilla said:

Why do people like living in denial? Why is it a problem for people? I listen to Glory knowing that it flopped, and that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. :mattafact:

they seem to believe that because Brocolli Juice flopped, and everybody hated it...every thing Britney releases and flops is gonna have the same destiny :sassybrit: and that's totally wrong. I choose my own destiny with every flop :sendinglove: flops can be good too. :tiffanynod:

Mmmm it’s a wonderful album, and it’s not the end of the world it wasn’t a blockbuster, but glory (including single sales, streams, etc) sold less than 800,000 copies WW according to chartmaster, which is a fairly reliable site. In comparison, BJ sold around 1.2 million. It wasn’t successful, but it was really good! And she doesn’t have anything to prove. 

2 hours ago, Hypnotherapy said:

But first week sales don’t indicate success, they indicate core fan base. Britney, even now at her least popular has a large dedicated fan base because she’s the type of artist who collected millions of fans, became an icon and retained a group of diehards.

It’s us who flock to buy her stuff first week, send songs and albums up the chart but then they drop like a rock. Streams are really strong for a week and then again flatline.

this.

• Content Curators
2 hours ago, Screamous said:

Its her new standard. Sales are dead now, and britney isnt a streaming force. B10 might end up doing less than Glory :canthandleit:

She's just gonna sell less and less as her fanbase grows older. But, she's still a strong touring act and one of the top earning artists.

Had it been a succesful album we wouldn't need to make a thread to prove that point :brityes:

In my very personal opinion, it wasn't a flop because ultimately 350k copies make a good profit for her and her label but it wasn't a su cesa compared to her previous albums prior Femme Fatale which was her last commercialy succesful era. 

Archived