My niece thought Britney copied Selena Gomez...

Alice X

So, I decided that it's about time to enlighten my niece (almost 15) about Britney Spears. She knows about her, she follows her on IG and stuff. She's aware of her golden hits (BOMT, Toxic mainly, that are still being played in my country) and the newer stuff. I played for her the BBMA 2016 performance. She has nothing against playback, her faves are also using it. However, she was like:

- Uncle, I really like some of her songs, but this one - Touch of My Hand... it's awesome, but I think it's not popular because it's basically a Selena Gomez rip-off. 

- Hahaha, that song is  actually pretty old, Almost as old as you. 

- You've got to be kidding me, it has this Selena Gomez sound.

- Probably because Selena Gomez is inspired by Britney and her old songs?!?

- I'd have to Google that, I can't really believe this song is from 2003. 

The rest of the conversation was not that interesting, but the funny thing is that the younger generation still finds the In The Zone sound fresh. I had to leave my sister's house for work, but  when I meet my niece again, I'd definitely play the entire In The Zone for her. I believe she'd appreciate it. Do you have similar stories with younger siblings/ relatives? :lemmetellu:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I mean when Britney's pretty stagnant when it comes to a newer generation. They're aware, but they don't really get how big she really is. It really doesn't matter how much Britney claims "Selena Gomez is a new inspiration", when she's already been doing these sultry midtempos since 2001. It's almost as if there's a new a Britney post Circus that isn't aware of who she really is either..

1 hour ago, G L O R Y said:

Well, Glory was influenced by Selena :yaknow:

:tiffcackle:

Sometimes I wonder if Britney herself can acknowledge her own achievements. Selena's sound is partially influenced by that sound used in ITZ (and in some many other albums), so basically Glory cannot be influenced by Selena when it's basically influenced by Britney's old sounds (smt which was even confirmed by the EP):triggered:

3 hours ago, Shadow. said:

Selena wishes she had a song as great as Touch of my Hand :weusay: but ITZ is and always will be her best album

I love ITZ too, my favourite album :lemmetellu: I'm glad to see someone showing love for it too because many people say that Blackout is Britney's best album but then there's ITZ and for me it's just perfect :donewithit:

5 hours ago, Oliver T said:

Back in the day I was 100% certain that Satisfaction and ILRN were invented (yes, invented) by Britney and that the original versions were just rip offs, so u know :yaknow: 

I was at college, which was like 6-7 years ago,  when i found out that I Love Rock n Roll was a cover :calculating:

i always thought it was Britney s song :messbye:

Archived