What’s your thoughts on Britney calling The Onyx Hotel Tour a “mistake”

It’s one of her best tours. Sorry girl but too s*xual and saying the Gimmie more video was cheap? Then why do you pose completely naked in cheap looking shots on Instagram which is way worse… make it make sense.  If you gonna regret a show then say femme fatale as I didn’t even buy tickets for it as I didn’t want to see an overly medicated, robot cash cow on stage. 

Edited by Blackout Britney
  • Love 4
  • Like 4

The tour is up there as one of her better ones, so it's a shame she feels disappointed about it. She is allowed to have her opinion on it though! Personally I think her dancing was incredible, I loved the hotel concept and the costumes too. I agree with others had Britney been allowed more of a break at the time she may have appreciated it more. It was during the tour she was starting to feel over it and wanted some time off. She may also associate the tour with bad memories as she injured her knee while on the Outrageous video shoot (after already suffering a minor injury at a previous concert) and that led to the tour being cancelled. 

Although in my opinion, I think Dream Within a Dream is her best tour :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Broccoli Spears said:

My issue was that she’s now critical of the show for being too ***ual. Britney, girl, have you seen your instagram?  :frenchy_britney_u_sure_ff_femme_fatale_you_look:

Its part of her pain and owning herself . Imagine not owning your own autonomy. Can you stop ! You do not comprehend abuse. Look at her life . Look at the control. Sorry for the most part her nudity was dark on her gram. This was not ***ualized . Stop judging her please . You think its funny. Its not . I know mean no ill will. 

• Like 1
  • Super Mods
49 minutes ago, Isla said:

The tour is up there as one of her better ones, so it's a shame she feels disappointed about it. She is allowed to have her opinion on it though! Personally I think her dancing was incredible, I loved the hotel concept and the costumes too. I agree with others had Britney been allowed more of a break at the time she may have appreciated it more. It was during the tour she was starting to feel over it and wanted some time off. She may also associate the tour with bad memories as she injured her knee while on the Outrageous video shoot (after already suffering a minor injury at a previous concert) and that led to the tour being cancelled. 

Although in my opinion, I think Dream Within a Dream is her best tour :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

And she says it was! Long live the DWADT :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

• Love 2

I’ve always dreamed that she would do a TV special of The Onyx Hotel with some changes in the setlist to include her recent hits.

The set list would be:

Spoiler

Check In

1. Toxic

2. Overprotected (Darkchild Remix)

3. My Prerogative

4. I’ve Just Begun (Having My Fun)

Mystic Lounge

5. Baby One More Time

6. Oops I Did It Again

7. (You Drive Me) Crazy

Band Introduction

8. Lucky

9. Mona Lisa

The Garden

10. Everytime

11. The Hook Up

12. I’m a Slave 4U

13. Do You Wanna Come Over?

The Onyx Zone

14. Swimming in the Stars

15. I’m Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman

The Bedroom

16. Breathe on Me / Touch of My Hand 

17. And Then We Kiss

18. Get Naked (I Got a Plan)

Check Out

19. Gimme More

20. Hot as Ice

21. (I Got That) Boom Boom (contains elements from Work B, followed by never liked that album anyway)

Encore

22. Stronger
23. Me Against The Music

I think it’s totally normal for artists to have negative feelings and associations with some their work, even if it’s beloved by fans (or even critics). John Lennon hated the second half of Abbey Road, one of the most critically acclaimed and celebrated albums of all time.

I read this part of the book as her negativity stemming from two major issues: first, feeling she was pressed to go back on tour too quickly with an insane schedule that was not sustainable; and second, she doesn’t relate to the content anymore, feeling it was over**xualized because of how she was coping with the breakup at the time. It seems like these soured her whole experience, and we remember from comments she made during her knee injury that the schedule was insane and the injury was a blessing.

But I feel like despite her negative feelings about the tour, I’d rank it alongside DWAD as one of her best. In stark contrast to her residency, she really got to build out a setlist of new work with reworked (often heavily remixed) versions of the few early hits she did. She did 10/12 (!!) of the In the Zone tracks, which is kind of insane! (Justice for Early Mornin’ and Brave New Girl). She did just 6 of her earlier hits, and the Cabaret section was a huge departure from how those songs had been performed previously. So it does seem like it had elements Britney values when taking her work out on tour: the opportunity to present new work and remix/reimagine older work.

Thematically I thought it was cohesive and creative. Loved the fantastical hotel vibe. The costumes and the characters were fascinating. The host was a little much, but I think it really leaned into the theme in a way not many tours do. She leaned into the atmosphere and persona, and I think her commitment to the theme really sold it.

I also looooved the costumes. I can’t think of a black catsuit that fit someone better and also allowed them to do such incredible dancing. The mystic lounge getup was so on point and really shown during the chair choreography. And the beautiful Versace dress may be my favorite tour outfit of all time!
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

But what I liked most about the tour is the performances themselves. She danced with such a defiance (which makes more sense now) that the energy of the routines was brought to a whole new level. And having the setlist revolve around one of her greatest albums doesn’t hurt either! We basically got a full visual album that really fit the vibe of ITZ imho.

As much as I wish Britney had fond memories of all of her work, that she doesn’t like this tour doesn’t diminish its achievement in my mind. She made impressive, compelling art during what sounds like a very tough time for her, and I’ll always appreciate what the tour has meant to me. I’ll always rank it alongside DWAD as her best.

• Love 8

It is very weird to be because I think during ITZ era she seemed to be her true self creatively and you could see she was enjoying and she was in fact "in the zone"

Pondering Anthony Anderson GIF by BET

She was very open and very ***ual and feeling herself, maybe looking back cause "she is a mother now"  LOL it seems to her very ***ual

On the other had, she is posting ***** on social media now, 20 years later, so it doesnt make sense at all

Confused Thinking GIF

• Love 3

I personally found her promo performances from in the zone a better representation of her persona. She was mature, ***ier than she was in the past but it was done tastefully and not too over the top. Onyx has amazing moments, the choreo is top notch. While I found the performances iconic, I wouldn’t have had my background dancers mas******g during tomh and I would’ve done breath on me the way the promo performances were done. Outrageous was a tad much too. The rest I think is fine.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Just because Britney doesn’t like something doesn’t mean y’all have to unlike it. It just gives you a perspective from the performers point of view. Plus it sounds like it was more about her personal life at the time clouding that tour than the actual tour being bad. 

Also, when you have a tour like DWAD, it’s kind of impossible to top it. Britney knows that and I’m sure that played a part in her overall opinion about Onyx. 

• Love 3

I've been thinking about this too... It's crazy how most of the parts she hates about her career I love :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

My delusion has just informed me though that she doesn't actually think that and just needed some controversial fan topics in the

book, so we're going with that :raven_thats_so_simone_talking_telling_preaching:

Edited by Mayenaise

I'm sure Britney would be happy to know her fans loved that tour. She worked hard to make it so beloved. Just because she doesn't like it doesn't have to change your opinion.

She also doesn't like some of her own songs, (Sometimes, for example) but that doesn't stop fans from listening to it and liking it themselves.

Everyone has bad days at work where they don't want to be there and this was like that for her.

I think it's admirable that even though she didn't like that tour and wasn't in the head space for it mentally she still performed really well and put 110% effort into it for the fans.

• Love 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block