What led Britney not to perform at the VMAs in 2011?

With Shakira's announcement as a VMA Vanguard, a question arose in my mind:

what made Britney not perform? She was the only one in the past decade to receive this award and not make a Medley of her hits.

What do you think could have happened? Obviously MTV must have asked for a performance. Maybe the crew refused?

QS6D.gif

• Love 1

She’s already achieved everything she wanted in the industry, so she graciously gave the little girls an opportunity of a lifetime to perform on one of the biggest stages ever! 

Remember the rumor that Miley, Selena and Demi were supposed to a medley of her songs individually and then they all come out in Mickey Mouse ears to perform “3” and share a three way kiss? :unreal_omg_no_way_shocked_wow_surprised:

• Haha 6
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

Given how much she's complained about the Disney Music Awards, I think she would've liked to perform here too.

She had already performed at the BBMA earlier that year with Rihanna and Nicki Minaj, so why wouldn't she perform here as well

She also had performed the entire first leg of the FFT by then, so it's not like she wasn't used to performing. She could've adapted any number from the show.

BUT, I think the reason is simply because she was being given the award. Like, Justin Timberlake started this tradition of performing a medley the following year, but if you think about it, it doesn't make sense that the person being rewarded performs, it makes more sense that other people pay tribute to them instead (as much as that pissed Britney at the Disney Awards lol).

Like, you're honoring an artist, and on top of that you're gonna make them rehearse, perform, get exhausted, etc?

If you see the previous recipients of the award, most of them didn't perform, or if they did, it was just a normal performance, not a medley or anything spectacular. 

Kanye didn't perform either, instead gave that million years speech, didn't he?

But I think what we can all agree on is that they shouldn't have made her present Beyoncé right away. Like, they should've shown the tribute to Britney, let her accept the award, say a speech, and then go to commercial break. And if they wanted her to present Beyoncé, that should've happened at a different time of the show, not right away, because that was just a mess.

Yeah this is a good point. In fact I remember someone said similar on this forum following the VMAs in 2013. Prior to Britney did anyone who received the vanguard perform? 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Isla said:

Never thought about that and maybe you’re right?

I always thought it was odd as she did perform at the BBMAs that year but that performance wasn’t well received anyway. 

Ppl expect primeney when it comes to vmas. I do think after free Britney ppl may be more empathetic if she were to perform now though. Whitney Houston Reaction GIF

• Like 2
2 hours ago, UltimateBritney said:

2011 was really bad time for her (something happened) before she was fire, after Femme Fatale was released something **** went on.

I hope there is something in the book.

Before Femme Fatale , 

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

After Femme Fatale 

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

Something went wrong, and these are like 2 different people. ( It looks like they have drugged her. ) 

This is what I really wanted to know, I don't think she will say exactly like that what changed in her book tho

I think all her performers during that time wasn't[t making fans happy and her team probably felt like it was safe for her reputation to not perform

• Love 1
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, UltimateBritney said:

2011 was really bad time for her (something happened) before she was fire, after Femme Fatale was released something **** went on.

I hope there is something in the book.

Before Femme Fatale , 

Hide contents

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

After Femme Fatale 

Hide contents

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

Something went wrong, and these are like 2 different people. ( It looks like they have drugged her. ) 

She found out that their promises to release her after the circus tour were fake and when she tried to rebel they used her children and medicate her.. 

• Love 2
  • Like 2
58 minutes ago, Isla said:

Yeah this is a good point. In fact I remember someone said similar on this forum following the VMAs in 2013. Prior to Britney did anyone who received the vanguard perform? 

prior to Britney, the most recent was in 2006. Hype Williams was the recipient. He is music video director, so of course he didn't perform.

Before that we have Duran Duran in 2003, they didn't perform.

U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Beastie Boys in 2001, 2000 and 1998 respectively. They did perform, but they were like any other normal performance of the night.

LL Cool J in 1997, he didn't perform.

If we go farther back into the 90s and 80s, they usually performed, but again, it was just like normal performances, not a big medley or anything.

• Love 2
  • Super Mods

Probably because she was so drugged out of her mind that year that she was giving really subpar performances that it might've been seen as a repeat of the 2007 VMA performance if she performed that year.

Which is why they waited until 2016 when she seemed coherent enough to perform again at the VMAs.

At least thats what I think :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Like 8

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block