Rolling Stone considers Britney Spears not recording and releasing “Umbrella” one of the 50 Worst Decisions in Music History

Style.

2 minutes ago, UnbrokenExaholic said:

I can't see Britney singing Umbrella at all, but I can imagine her singing:

- Question Existing, Disturbia, Push Up On Me (from GGGB)

- Speakerphone, Nu-di-ty, Heart Beat Rock, Like a ****, Rippin Up the Disco, Cherry Bomb, Sensitized, The One (from Kylie's X)

Nu-di-ty is basically a Britney feature so at least we have that.

I mean there's no guarantee that it would've been as big as Rih's version tbh. Rih was really well-liked by the GP when she released it, but Brit was treated as public enemy number one by the media in 2007, so it's possible that the song would've done worse if she'd recorded and released it that year.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Kiss my said:

Umbrella is an amazing song for Rihanna but she’s had plenty of other hits. I don’t think her career would have looked vastly different without it. 

It’s the thing that started it all. Even though Pon de Replay and SOS were hits, Def Jam was ready to drop her if Good Girl Gone Bad wasn’t a success. It changed the entire trajectory of her career 

• Love 3

What is crazy is that Umbrella definitely set Rihanna's career on a completely different trajectory. She was a big artist and had hits before, but it was Umbrella that turned her into a global superstar and set the foundation for the future of her career. Britney (or her team) turning the song down kinda changed Rihanna's career forever.

I don't know if I would say it was a mistake for Britney not to record it, as Britney isn't short of hits herself and the song worked perfectly for Rihanna, but I'm sure it would have been a huge hit for Britney too as the song's quality is undeniable.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Stefani said:

I mean there's no guarantee that it would've been as big as Rih's version tbh. Rih was really well-liked by the GP when she released it, but Brit was treated as public enemy number one by the media in 2007, so it's possible that the song would've done worse if she'd recorded and released it that year.

Gimme More peaking at #3, becoming her highest charting single since BOMT in the US, despite all of the negative media attention and backlash from the VMA's, proved that the GP were still very open and receptive to Britney as an artist in 2007, no matter what her public image was at the time.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

the thing with these things, is that we'll never know.

Probably if Britney recorded it, it would've remained an album track in Blackout or something, and nothing would've happened with it. 

It's like when we think about TLC passing on BOMT. Or Kylie Minogue with Toxic, we just can't assume that the songs would have the same fate, because it's obvious that they would sound very different to begin with. Perhaps they wouldn't get the single treatment, or maybe they would've gotten the wrong promo. Even without the iconic music videos they wouldn't be the same. 

And as much as I'm a believer of "every song would sound better if sung by Britney",  I'm really not sure about Umbrella. I can hear the choruses in Britney's voice, but the verses would sound weird, or maybe I just have Rihanna's vocal style too ingrained in my head.

You took the words out of my mouth. I came here to say this. It’s virtually impossible to assume what would have happened. Thousands of variables are involved in a successful single. 

Great job articulating your point!

• Like 3
6 hours ago, UnbrokenExaholic said:

I can't see Britney singing Umbrella at all, but I can imagine her singing:

- Question Existing, Disturbia, Push Up On Me (from GGGB)

- Speakerphone, Nu-di-ty, Heart Beat Rock, Like a ****, Rippin Up the Disco, Cherry Bomb, Sensitized, The One (from Kylie's X)

The one was written by the freemasons and Richard Stannard,  and Kylie herself said that was written with her in mind. 

Richard Stannard doesn't work with American artists,  he's British and in his late 50s, and like he said, he wasn't huge til he was 30 when wannabe came out, so he knew he could only work with the best of the British music industry,  cos that's all he knows is British Music 

On 11/28/2022 at 11:30 PM, BlackoutITZ said:

What is crazy is that Umbrella definitely set Rihanna's career on a completely different trajectory. She was a big artist and had hits before, but it was Umbrella that turned her into a global superstar and set the foundation for the future of her career. Britney (or her team) turning the song down kinda changed Rihanna's career forever.

I don't know if I would say it was a mistake for Britney not to record it, as Britney isn't short of hits herself and the song worked perfectly for Rihanna, but I'm sure it would have been a huge hit for Britney too as the song's quality is undeniable.

Rih's career depended on other artists rejects lol (not only umbrella, tons of her hits were rejects from other artists). If she didn't had Umbrella she wouldn't be where sge is today. So Rih needs to thank Brit lol. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block