Rolling Stone considers Britney Spears not recording and releasing “Umbrella” one of the 50 Worst Decisions in Music History

“When Tricky Stewart co-wrote “Umbrella” in 2007, he imagined Britney Spears singing it. They had worked together on her 2003 Madonna duet, “Me Against the Music.” But Spears was battling a lot of personal demons when the song was sent over to her team, and they decided it wasn’t worth recording. “Umbrella” ultimately made its way over to Def Jam and a young artist named Rihanna. It hit Number 1 all over the world and turned the singer into one of the biggest stars of her era. If Britney had recorded “Umbrella,” the last 15 years of pop-music history might have unfolded very differently.”

50-worst-decisions-music.jpg?w=1600&h=90

The 50 Worst Decisions in Music History. Adam Levine, Justin Timberlake, KISS, Elton John...

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

the thing with these things, is that we'll never know.

Probably if Britney recorded it, it would've remained an album track in Blackout or something, and nothing would've happened with it. 

It's like when we think about TLC passing on BOMT. Or Kylie Minogue with Toxic, we just can't assume that the songs would have the same fate, because it's obvious that they would sound very different to begin with. They could not get the single treatment, or maybe they would've gotten the wrong promo. Even without the iconic music videos they wouldn't be the same. 

And as much as I'm a believer of "every song would sound better if sung by Britney",  I'm really not sure about Umbrella. I can hear the choruses in Britney's voice, but the verses would sound weird, or maybe I just have Rihanna's vocal style too ingrained in my head.

I can’t imagine Britney singing Umbrella ️ to be honest. Rihanna did a wonderful job with it & her vocals suits it best. 

• Love 3
  • Like 2

I disagree. There would’ve been too much controversy (more than there already was) with her paparazzi umbrella incident, and honestly, the song didn’t age well. Neither did Telephone. I’m glad she didn’t go with either. Where would Umbrella even fit in with the theme and sound of Blackout? It wouldn’t. And she wouldn’t have promoted and performed it like Rihanna did.

Now Millshake on the other hand would’ve been a serve! :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

• Love 5
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I disagree. There would’ve been too much controversy (more than there already was) with her paparazzi umbrella incident, and honestly, the song didn’t age well. Neither did Telephone. I’m glad she didn’t go with either. Where would Umbrella even fit in with the theme and sound of Blackout? It wouldn’t. And she wouldn’t have promoted and performed it like Rihanna did.

Now Millshake on the other hand would’ve been a serve! :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

Her team probably got sent Umbrella after the umbrella incident and immediately called the police! :sobbing_unbelievable_wow_head_shake_no_crying_sobbing_sad:

• Haha 4
  • Like 1

These happens a lot, but I can't helpt but wonder that maybe that doesn't change anything. idk if the song itself can hold changing artists. Like I'm not 100 % sure that if Britney took Umbrella it would've been a hit like it was with Rihanna, as Toxic with Kylie Minogue and so on. Sometimes it takes the artist + the song to make it work 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, cillaward said:

It was probably for PR reasons more than anything. Wasn't this around the time of the infamous umbrella incident?

I'm pretty sure the song was written before that happened. Iirc Tricky Stewart said he wrote the song to be about Britney's relationship with her children.

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block