Taylor Swift Makes History as First Artist With Entire Top 10 on Billboard Hot 100

Anti-Hero

2 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

MJ is no longer the standard of the ultimate pop star, it’s Taylor Swift. She’s the official King of Pop! :bouncey:

I think Thriller is still the standard. The highest selling album of all time, still, almost 40 years later. Britney’s back to back Baby and Oops album sales are also the standard and untouchable when you consider this new era of streaming. It’s like Elvis and Beatles were all about radio and albums, MJ, Madonna, and later Britney and Beyoncé were all about albums and MVs, and Drake and Taylor are in this new streaming era of dominance. Times change. Being an icon means something different in every era. 

Maybe Britney would have transitioned better into the steaming era without the conservatorship, especially since her fan base was a lot bigger years ago and extremely loyal and fanatical. Who knows? 🤷🏻‍♂️. What we do know is that she is still a fascinating pop icon. 

• Love 1
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Style. said:

The Swifties are part of the general public too, what are trying to say? Artists with massive followers should be appreciated more because THIS IS REAL. There are a lot of industry plants who are surviving off a radio spin…. Let’s be for real :tiffcackle_Tiffany_miss_ny_New_York_pollard_laugh_giggle_lol_haha_hehe:

Style, you adore numbers just so you can keyboard fight :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, MasterMindz said:
  • Sales are no longer a thing, only fans tend to buy songs and albums

The average Swiftie must have bought AT LEAST two copies of Midnights (and I'm being cautious, benevolent even...). Those count for Billboard. And then they just put those physical copies on display and go stream following BTS' tactics. And then they want you to believe that everybody and their grandmas are listening to her right now. That's music in 2022.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Greg_del said:

Streaming era is a mess. Because for example, if Adele sold 3,3 million copies of 25 in 2015 in the first week, it means that every song on this album sold 3,3 million pure sales that week too, so it would have been her in the entire top 10 too. We can’t put all the songs from an album in the top because that album was the most popular.

Same thing would have happened to Britney in 2000 with Oops. 1,3 millions copies sold first week, so every song of the album sold 1,3 million copies. It just doesn’t work like that…

Billboard needs to do like the UK charts. No more than 3 singles by the same artist in the top 10 with this messy streaming era.

Well.. let's face it.

It's not.

Midnight chart with 1.57M unit (1.14M are pure sell).
And those 1.14M didn't count as single sells for individual songs.

Like 30 (by Adele) did chart with every song on it's first week, 
because people stream those songs, not because the album sold 800k.

And remember, Taylor has been charting with her whole album since the "iTunes era."
You can't possibly be that surprised all the time.

I am not her fan but I don't see the need to bring the accomplishment down either. Do I think she is doing something musically revolutionary? No effin way. She is not using melody in new, creative ways such as The Beatles, nor is she creating complex masterpieces of narrative, taking elements from sophisticated musical pieces such as opera, a la Queen. No, she is not an instrument virtuoso nor is she a great vocalist. She is not a Michael Jackson type of performer, she can't dance, she looks rather odd on stage compared to a consummate performer like old Britney and yet, here she is. In the average terms of what a pop star is, she is nothing like it. She didn't even ***ualize her image and maybe that is what makes her road here interesting, in a different way. It was her vision, her work ethic and consistency what brought her here, not her big voice or her impressive stage persona, it was commitment and how she put the spots together. She was true to herself. She was dressing like a Disney princess, while all the other girls were wearing something very different. She was singing about prince charmin while everyone talked about the club. Her albums, except for Folkmorr, have never appealed to me, but I respect someone who stands their ground.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Lisa88007 said:

I think Thriller is still the standard. The highest selling album of all time, still, almost 40 years later. Britney’s back to back Baby and Oops album sales are also the standard and untouchable when you consider this new era of streaming. It’s like Elvis and Beatles were all about radio and albums, MJ, Madonna, and later Britney and Beyoncé were all about albums and MVs, and Drake and Taylor are in this new streaming era of dominance. Times change. Being an icon means something different in every era. 

this

say it louder for the people in the back

4 hours ago, Bigno said:

I am not her fan but I don't see the need to bring the accomplishment down either. Do I think she is doing something musically revolutionary? No effin way. She is not using melody in new, creative ways such as The Beatles, nor is she creating complex masterpieces of narrative, taking elements from sophisticated musical pieces such as opera, a la Queen. No, she is not an instrument virtuoso nor is she a great vocalist. She is not a Michael Jackson type of performer, she can't dance, she looks rather odd on stage compared to a consummate performer like old Britney and yet, here she is. In the average terms of what a pop star is, she is nothing like it. She didn't even ***ualize her image and maybe that is what makes her road here interesting, in a different way. It was her vision, her work ethic and consistency what brought her here, not her big voice or her impressive stage persona, it was commitment and how she put the spots together. She was true to herself. She was dressing like a Disney princess, while all the other girls were wearing something very different. She was singing about prince charmin while everyone talked about the club. Her albums, except for Folkmorr, have never appealed to me, but I respect someone who stands their ground.

Yes, she's somehow a very anti-pop pop star.
Probably the less-Madonna-ish of them all.
Besides Reputation era, she was never "fierce" or "avant grade."
However her "basicness" is probably the foundation of her longevity.
Because she's set to be related to not to be worshiped.

I read an article years ago that said she's the Britney of country music.
No, not sonically or visually.
It's that they both gathered an audience of fangirls industry didn't know existed.
And for years, that audience has kept being explored, renewed and adjust.
I once thought she's gonna flopped hard after Lover era.
But the surprising Folklore apparent extend the horizon of her audience.
And with 2 following re-record of her best albums (That's debatable though, lol), the new generation got introduced to her older works, too.

Her music might but her damn clever brand execution never disappoint. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

These are just numbers, it's no representation of reality. What a boring top ten. There should be more rules so it's actually diverse and representative. Who cares if she sold a bazillion vinyls in different colors? What does that have to do with music and what people in general are actually listening to? It's embarrassing. This is a list of "more sold music items", not about what the GP is listening to.

You mad? :nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:

• Love 1
8 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

The average Swiftie must have bought AT LEAST two copies of Midnights (and I'm being cautious, benevolent even...). Those count for Billboard. And then they just put those physical copies on display and go stream following BTS' tactics. And then they want you to believe that everybody and their grandmas are listening to her right now. That's music in 2022.

Taylor has a massive fanbade and is heavily beloved by the general public. It is a formula for success with or without ditties buying more than one copy of the album. 

Even haters on Exhale have listened to the album just to hate, this speaks volumes on Taylor's influence. 

4 hours ago, MasterMindz said:

Taylor has a massive fanbade and is heavily beloved by the general public. It is a formula for success with or without ditties buying more than one copy of the album. 

Even haters on Exhale have listened to the album just to hate, this speaks volumes on Taylor's influence. 

The GP? You mean some straight people. No gay will save her from the Titanic, we would all pull a Rose :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:

And of course even "haters" listened to her album, all people on here are pop music lovers, we all at least want to know what's up :wyd_wtf_meme_hand_umm_wth_what_the_hell:

I never said she's irrelevant or a flop, I'm saying she's overrated, she does NOT have the X factor, and all these records are just biased selling numbers. I mean good for her, and she has some good songs (my jaw dropped with "Anti-Hero", for example), but vowing down to this regular white rich woman with some talent (but a lot of power and influence, yes, ok?) is kind of ridiculous to me...

That's all I'm saying. Keep enjoying her new album! Like I've said before in another post, I'm incredibly anxious for Britney's B10 so I can only imagine how happy you are enjoying this one from her... But I'm still going to give my opinion on her and everyone else in one post or two once in a while. Do not even bother to stop me because I won't, I come here exactly to speak my mind.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block