‘Midnights’ by Taylor Swift is now challenging Britney Spears’ ‘Oops!… I Did It Again’ (1.31M) for second-biggest sales week for a female album in US history

Well, records are meant to be broken so I dont mind it if this happened. Adele already beat the record once. Also, Taylor has incredible PR and sales team and have incredible album sales number while Britney has more iconic images/ outfits/songs/ MVs (you see people dress as Britney every halloween)  and has iconic songs/MVs  like (BOMT, OIDIA, Slave, Toxic...) which people still talk about after 20+years so. All Good.

• Love 4
On 10/23/2022 at 10:01 PM, MIKE_INT said:

1) You cannot compare sales 22 years ago and now with streaming

2) Power of social media as promo tool with worldwide instant approach which was impossible in 2000

3) Even after 22 years the general public knows "Oops" as a song ... Hardly "Midnights" will have any hit with such longevity and approach to GP audience

4) The fact "Midnights" has 5 different CD and 5 different vinyl versions + online deluxe edition and many of her fan(atics) are buying them all is ridiculous

Sassy Over It GIF by Bounce

Well said!

3 hours ago, BritBritSpearsLove said:

Yeah, she always played very safe and kept her teenagers fans. She's basically Britney if she never evolved from BOMT

Played safe? She changed genres from country to pop and then took a huge risk with look what you made me do and rep by changing her image and soind which did not please all her fans and then again with folklore and evermore with a sound thats not regular pop at all. Britney has evolved way less compared to tay. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
On 10/23/2022 at 7:31 PM, MIKE_INT said:

4) The fact "Midnights" has 5 different CD and 5 different vinyl versions + online deluxe edition and many of her fan(atics) are buying them all is ridiculous

Sassy Over It GIF by Bounce

This is the most disappointing fact out of all.
Taylor should let go of these things. It's above her legacy.

Her marketing team must have done this but it's degrading for such an old artist.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Popcornie said:

Played safe? She changed genres from country to pop and then took a huge risk with look what you made me do and rep by changing her image and soind which did not please all her fans and then again with folklore and evermore with a sound thats not regular pop at all. Britney has evolved way less compared to tay. 

Brit has evolved by all means Till the time she had interest.  And Taylor has played safe many times tho, pop was at all time peak during 1989 folk music during lockdown? I mean it's not a Risk, she has evolved oh yes that I agree. 

Britney evolving perosnna stopped due to her abuse. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, 3Pney said:

I live in europe and i have not met any single Taylor fan yet. I do not hear/see people talking about anything related to Taylor swift,not even during her peak years. 

Either I am surronded by people who do not care about taylor or she is very popular only in the usa.

i did not even know she was releasing an album. 

I live in Belgium, and there was like a sold out 8000 people listening party for the new album.

She gets a lot of radio play as well over here.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Popcornie said:

Sorry, despite her change of genres you can tell her music has always been especially catered for teenage girls from suburbia

• Haha 2
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, BritBritSpearsLove said:

Sorry, despite her change of genres you can tell her music has always been especially catered for teenage girls from suburbia

“Despite her change on genres and imagery and everything else she does.” You are delusional sweetie. 😂 as if switching genres is just a normal, typical thing and artist CAN or DOES do often. I’m pretty sure that for absolutely everything related to business, deciphering your target audience is basically rule number 1. 

On 10/23/2022 at 9:15 AM, G-unit said:

I love her, but someone wake me up when she starts making bops again.  So tired of this boring, bland music.  3 albums in a row.  Yeah, lyrically the music is good…but not my taste tbh.

A lot of Taylor fans actually didn't like when she was making 'pop music' and actually like her last three albums since she has gone back to her roots of country/folk music.

2 minutes ago, Hannah said:

A lot of Taylor fans actually didn't like when she was making 'pop music' and actually like her last three albums since she has gone back to her roots of country/folk music.

I’ve been a Taylor fan since day one.  I love her country stuff as much as her pop stuff.  Tbh I wasn’t excited when she moved to pop music and it took a while for 1989 to grow on me (I love it now), but the last three albums are just a completely different category for me.  I don’t care for the indie-ish sound.  The first 3 songs on Midnights are really good…I love Lavender Haze and Maroon specifically, but beyond those first few tracks, I can’t get into it.  I guess this is the type of music she just likes the most and will continue to make…good for her, but bad for me as a fan of hers because it’s just not for me.  Thankfully, I still have her version of Speak Now to look forward to, which is my favorite (country pop) album of hers.  Looking back as I’m older, her voice towards the beginning of her career was actually super unpleasant and kind of grating to the ears, so I’m excited to hear one of my favorite albums with her softer, prettier voice.

sorry end rant lol

7 minutes ago, ifyewseekamy said:

This is brought up with every album taylor releases, she comes close but never prevails. I was actually surprised Adele was able to break it by selling double the amount. 

Billboard said she's already at 1.2 million and only two full days of tracking left, so she basically did. 

It's expected 1.5 million by end of tracking week.

I mean this happens every few years or so we have a big new artist that is apparently approaching the Opps record. Britney at that point was a pop phenomenon, 80% of the world knew  the teenage girl from the middle of no where that made it big! While I think Taylor is a god artist and has good artistic pursuits, she has no where near the pop culture impact that Britney had. People from all over the world made the concerted effort to go the store and buy that album, streaming is no where near Britney’s feat. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, Callie4610 said:

I mean this happens every few years or so we have a big new artist that is apparently approaching the Opps record. Britney at that point was a pop phenomenon, 80% of the world knew  the teenage girl from the middle of no where that made it big! While I think Taylor is a god artist and has good artistic pursuits, she has no where near the pop culture impact that Britney had. People from all over the world made the concerted effort to go the store and buy that album, streaming is no where near Britney’s feat. 

Just no. 

There is enough room at the top for all talented & hard working women in the industry. Both albums can be celebrated for the milestone they reach and the longevity they may/will continue to have in the years to have. It's no secret that Britney is a living legend and the "favorite" of many of us here, just as Taylor is to others.

Imagine what would happen if we stopped comparing every current artist's wins to all the wins of the past and let each body of work stand on its own. 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block