‘Midnights’ by Taylor Swift is now challenging Britney Spears’ ‘Oops!… I Did It Again’ (1.31M) for second-biggest sales week for a female album in US history

Why do we treat promotion like it is a bad or desperate thing :zoomzoom_britney_annoyed_irritated_blink:?

It is an artists job to promote their music. Y'all act like Britney or Madonna didn't promote the **** out of their music back in the 90s and 00s. Yes there was no social media, but Britney was literally everywhere: magazine covers, interviews, MTV, award show performances. ITZ for example had huge promo between shutting down Times Square, the ABC special, the singles performed in every single show, not to mention the extensive CD signatures and poster signatures that Britney did in stores like Virgin Megastore. Madonna Erotica era went all the way for a *** book. Gaga sold more than a million copies by selling her album for 99cents lmao. It is not like pop artists achieved massive sales with zero promo, they were promoting left and right.

Taylor has a genius marketing team behind her, and again - if anyone can sell millions of copies with such tactics, then anyone can do it. But that is not the case! At the end of the day she is already the biggest selling and most streamed female artist this year even without Midnights, and streams have nothing to do with the different versions.

And finally, nothing tops the legacy of Oops regardless of breaking or not breaking the record. That album has a huge pop legacy that shaped a full generation of pop artists including Taylor :taylor_swift_evil_smile:

• Love 6
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Almost Mystical said:

This, releasing the deluxe version at the same time with both explicit and clean version really helps. I guess that's how people are doing releases these days.

Everyone is....but no one is doing it as well as Tay atm after the post bundeling era. Everyone is releasing 4, 5 or even 6 different versions and barely break 100K. Good for her! And in this day and age where 300K is considered a monster release. Bow down to the queen. 

• Love 1

I don't get bothered by Taylor promoting. If anything, it is Billboard who should not count sales like that or change their policies. 

Having said that, I also don't understand the obsession. She is damn hard worker, that is indisputable. She does have some good songs, for.sure, but she really is not making legendary songs imo. But well, some things are not really logical

• Love 1
  • Like 1

It's incomparable. Even Britney says it:

Also, BACK IN THE DAY each person actually lifted their 4sses off their seats and went to a store and bought a copy. It was an event. Only true fans or those who were really feeling the era would be that invested to do that. Now it's mostly teenagers clicking on their computers and buying multiple copies (with their parents' money) just to ease their anxiety and collect everything and then brag to other fans online that they got everything.

I also think TS is milking her fans by releasing a bazillion versions of each album just to sell more copies, and exploiting their fans' love and admiration, but at the same time I don't think they really notice it because her fan base are basically rich teenagers and rich white gay men.

And yes I'm pressed, especially because FAKE US FANS only bought 111,000 copies of the masterpiece that is "Glory" the first week. Shame on you. So now we deserve a savvy businesswoman to shamelessly steal this historical record from Britney and from us. I live in Argentina and I'm almost broke but I can spend 10 dollars on my fave to buy a freaking album every three years omg I'm so pissed at the Army, I can't even tell you :nyheadache_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_annoyed_head_rub_irritated_red_tired:

2 hours ago, Bigno said:

I don't get bothered by Taylor promoting. If anything, it is Billboard who should not count sales like that or change their policies. 

Having said that, I also don't understand the obsession. She is damn hard worker, that is indisputable. She does have some good songs, for.sure, but she really is not making legendary songs imo. But well, some things are not really logical

No legendary songs???? Well explain this! 

:praisega_gaga_amazing_brilliant_show_stopping_showstopping_sunglasses_incredible_yas_Yes:

:quirkney_britney_well_welp_giggle_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_joke:

jk 😂

• Haha 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block