The Guardian: Britney Spears and Elton John: Hold Me Closer review – a star is reborn

3 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

We had way more Britney in the early mix. There's no Britney spears, Just Elton featuring back up literally

He's exploiting her, when he's done

She's gonna get the same treatment that's classic him.

Madonna and Janet Jackson knows all too well 

Despite everything she said about the song, the producer said, and Elton said... Okay.Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

2560.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Spears’ first recording since 2016 is a reworking of two pop classics but filled with a power and poignancy of its own

On paper, yet another svelte, disco-tinged reworking of an Elton John classic is nothing to get too excited about. Last year the Dua Lipa-assisted Cold Heart fused Rocket Man, Sacrifice, Kiss the Bride and Where’s the Shoorah? Here, it’s Tiny Dancer mixed with The One and a dash of Don’t Go Breaking My Heart. Still, Hold Me Closer skips along nicely, a chunky bassline gliding through the song like a train of sequin-clad revellers at a 70s roller-disco. There are even some jazzy piano flourishes at the end for the Bösendorfer fetishists.

But this is no ordinary streaming-friendly curio from a legend looking to fluff their back catalogue. Marking the return of Britney Spears on her first recording since the termination of her almost 14-year conservatorship last year, it comes tinged with something close to bittersweet; an example of what could have been if Spears’ megawatt pop-superstar shine hadn’t been dimmed all those years ago.

For diehard Spears fans, or indeed anyone with a passing knowledge of one of the most distinctive pop vocalists of all time, hearing her sing again feels like a real moment (her last album was 2016’s Glory). As John’s heavily filtered vocals emerge from the fog, Spears unfurls a classic “ooh baby”, each crystal-clear syllable given the full quivering treatment. Throughout the song, her lively vocal trills and ad libs recall her full-bodied musical performances on Instagram, a place of refuge where she has been attempting to reclaim her public image and undo learned behaviours from years of control. On Hold Me Closer she seems keen to remind people she was a singer first: before pop fame, before controversy, before near-annihilation.

Sensibly, she’s pushed to the fore in the mix, her engaged delivery coating the ghostly shimmers of John’s original vocals. It doesn’t seem accidental that she sings the line “drunken nights in dark hotels” solo in the second verse, the sadness in her voice quickly shaken off by another “baby”, the two lines’ close proximity nodding to both shiny past glories and their blackout consequences. She even throws in a few playful “yeahs”, ad libs that feel like actual yelps of joy rather than the robotic manoeuvres of someone being shuttled from studio to waiting car.

Both The One, which makes up the verses, and Tiny Dancer evoke a sense of having found someone, or something, with the power to transform a life. A totem to hold on to and believe in. On Hold Me Closer, Spears seems to hint at finding that for herself again in music. Even if this is a one-off – and who can blame her if she doesn’t want to return to pop full-time – that feels like enough.

:tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

• Love 7

I forgot my account details it's been awhile but....  I just listened to that song and I think the praise is coming from people who don't really like Britney and  don't think she can sing cos?

She can sing her damn heart out when she wants to and I've listened to her obsessively for 18 years..... Did I listen to the same song as the guardian?  Where is she in that song? I can't make out her voice apart from a bit where she says baby? I can barely hear Elton apart from like a line a minute and a half in? 

Am I listening to a remix ? No it's the official song. 

While typing this the leaked version came on and I can actually hear her and it's better ..... but... Wtf is the official version? She's not even in it. Wtf. 

47 minutes ago, Pop Leprosy said:

As John’s heavily filtered vocals emerge from the fog, Spears unfurls a classic “ooh baby”,

48 minutes ago, Pop Leprosy said:

It doesn’t seem accidental that she sings the line “drunken nights in dark hotels” solo in the second verse,

28 minutes ago, Pop Leprosy said:

she says yeah in the finished version too.  :katybelt_perry_witness_yelling_singing:

He’s referring to the demo…

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block