Britney vs Myah Vocals On “Circus” 🎪

With everything that has transpired and looking at this from a post-conservatorship lens, I think we might have been hearing a protest.  I think we all know and agree that the “Domination” announcement was the beginning of her public protest to get out of the conservatorship. But, what if she started to just not sing and refused to work, team con then just pulled some “britney” sounding vocalists and cut a record (ex: Britney Jean).  Just a theory, we may find out when the book drops. 

….but also some little muffin on BH threw around the concept of Brit re cutting those albums and releasing them. I think Britney Jean would be the best candidate. 
Britney Jean (Britney’s Scrubbed Will. i. Am. Version Deluxe) “"Most Personal Album Ever, gets even more personal" 

1. Work B@tch

2. Alien (Orbits edit)

3. Chillin’ Wit U (feat. Megan Thee Stallion

4. Perfume (Brit’s a murderer mix)

5. Passenger (Danja remix)

6. Scream n Shout (Britney Solo mix)

7. “a ballad about being trapped”

8. “Uptempo banger with too many curse words for Lou puritanical ears”

9. Real Friends, Fake Family (feat. Cardi B)

10.  Abroad

11. Rebellion

12. Body Ache (Reworked,Remastered)

13. “banger created by Danja”

14. “banger created by Danja”

15. SMS Bangerz 

16. Human Nature

17. Rebellion

18. Brave New Woman

8 hours ago, BritneyGXKB said:

Listening again years later her vocals on her songs rapidly deteriorated post-Blackout. ITZ was her vocal peak, if not for belts then surely for melismas. She has never sounded more authentic.

FF was the point for me was a vocal disaster and BJ was even worse. Glory was definitely better, but far from Circus. Circus actually served more ITZ vocals than Blackout but Hot As Ice and Why Should I Be Sad are simply career vocal highlights and there’s much less of that energy on Circus forward. I do like her voice in Private Show tho. :kisses2all_britney_pom_piece_of_me_green_blowing_kissing:

There definitely has been songs that are mainly focused on her voice from circus tho ... Like "my baby" and I loved that song .. I believe femme fatale had some good vocals too... They were just sooo synthesized... But yes for sure glory was more of her...I'm excited for Britney.... I want a ep of songs dedicated to her children or something... She makes such good music when it's reflected on aspects of her life 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RBFLOVESBRITNEY said:

With everything that has transpired and looking at this from a post-conservatorship lens, I think we might have been hearing a protest.  I think we all know and agree that the “Domination” announcement was the beginning of her public protest to get out of the conservatorship. But, what if she started to just not sing and refused to work, team con then just pulled some “britney” sounding vocalists and cut a record (ex: Britney Jean).  Just a theory, we may find out when the book drops. 

….but also some little muffin on BH threw around the concept of Brit re cutting those albums and releasing them. I think Britney Jean would be the best candidate. 
Britney Jean (Britney’s Scrubbed Will. i. Am. Version Deluxe) “"Most Personal Album Ever, gets even more personal" 

1. Work B@tch

2. Alien (Orbits edit)

10.  Abroad

11. Rebellion

15. SMS Bangerz 

16. Human Nature

17. Rebellion

18. Brave New Woman

We need to add Tom's diner on here too

• Love 1
3 hours ago, b42ad said:

But… why? Britney is more than capable of singing that song. The disregard the Team Con had for Brit and everything she worked for knows no bounds 

It has nothing to do with capability. There is a good reason why different singers are used for backing vocals. "I'm A Slave 4 U" is exclusively Britney doing the backing vocals. Even there, she is singing in a different style for each layer. This is because it wouldn't sound as interesting otherwise. You know these massive EDM synth hooks? They're not just one synth but often several different synths layered. The same holds true for filmscore/orchestral music.

In the case of the "Circus" pre-chorus it could have been an oversight, or the vocal that was recorded wasn't usable. Or the idea of a +1 octave harmony was something that came up later.

I would have preferred if it was Britney doing that part... Don't make this a "Myah Jean" issue, because it isn't.

Britney is definitely singing throughout the whole chorus though.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, studlygeorge said:

Nana Hedin

It’s not Danja. I believe it’s Claude Kelly

Max Martin used Nana as backing vocalist heavily in his late 90's/early 2000's productions.

For anyone who thinks so, it has absolutely nothing to do with Britney's vocal ability. You can even hear her prominently in the song that he produced for Celine Dijon.

Nana Hedin sounds amazing on "Stronger" and "Cinderella". Not to mention these songs are also one of Britney's best, vocally.

• Love 1

The difference with Circus is Myahs vocals are lead and Britneys are background. Britney was always lead or blended well with the background singers before the Circus era. And none of the singers besides BOMT went in trying to imitate her and pass off as being Britney to fool people.

I honestly think a lot of producers don't know how Britney's voice or what she's capable and don't push her to be vocally better in the studio. And I'm, sure there were restrictions on how they were allowed to interact with her. But most people just assume Britney can't sing and autotune her too death or have a background singer come in a fill out stuff.

But Britney has also said she doesnt like doing background vocals and likes to get in and out of the studio.

Pretty Girls /Glory era she clearly got a bit more passionate about making music and singing again.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, BritneyGXKB said:

I was just thinking we don’t talk enough about some of the background vocalists on Britney’s songs who AREN’T Myah. 

Nana, Nikki, Jeanette, Penelope, Emma, Candice, Windy, probably others that I’m forgetting. They were always creating the most perfect harmonious hooks. 

Interestingly, I just looked through all of her album credits and the last time she worked with any of her old background vocalists from BOMT to Circus was Nicole Morier on Femme Fatale. Femme Fatale forward everyone else was totally new. The background vocalists carried most of those albums but I don’t know if Britney ever even really got a say in who they were? It definitely doesn’t sound like she ultimately connected with them as well but maybe that is just another complication of various outside factors that I am overanalyzing. :decisions_britney_thinking_confused_focusing_unsure_xfactor_bw_black_white:

I’d like to add Keri Hilson to this list whom Britney said “sounded enough like her” when Danja tried to get her to come back for more vocals for Break the Ice. 

IIRC Myah said she never really met with Britney. I wonder how much of this was Team Con isolation tactic or just Britney not caring enough to really really dive into working on her songs. I’m leaning more towards the latter, ultimately. Like others have said, Britney didn’t really to be seen too involved until Glory and honestly I even consider Blackout to be included in that list of being “not so involved”. 

At the end of the day, I wish we got to hear more behind the scenes/making of Britney’s music. Hopefully her book will shed some light on stuff like this from her career. 

• Like 2
On 4/12/2022 at 3:39 PM, studlygeorge said:

I’d like to add Keri Hilson to this list whom Britney said “sounded enough like her” when Danja tried to get her to come back for more vocals for Break the Ice. 

IIRC Myah said she never really met with Britney. I wonder how much of this was Team Con isolation tactic or just Britney not caring enough to really really dive into working on her songs. I’m leaning more towards the latter, ultimately. Like others have said, Britney didn’t really to be seen too involved until Glory and honestly I even consider Blackout to be included in that list of being “not so involved”. 

At the end of the day, I wish we got to hear more behind the scenes/making of Britney’s music. Hopefully her book will shed some light on stuff like this from her career. 

I think more is actually waiting to come out about RCA, which was her label for BJ onward, and how they played into the conservatorship. I don’t have much to go on other than when she changed labels her whole team, producers, writers, background vocalists, etc everything changed too and the music quality went WAY down. 

oh and I was definitely not forgetting Ms. Keri Baby but I think she was only credited for that one album. I was naming girls who did background vocals on more than one album. She left all of those girls behind after FF, or at least her team did. It just seems a little too suspicious… 

• Like 1
On 4/12/2022 at 9:39 PM, studlygeorge said:

This and that executive producer title was BS lmao and she basically stole Keri’s album but whatever it’s still superior and her best album in general I feel like the EP title was simply due to her private life and everything happening at the time 

On 4/12/2022 at 3:03 PM, RBFLOVESBRITNEY said:

1. Work B@tch

2. Alien (Orbits edit)

10.  Abroad

11. Rebellion

15. SMS Bangerz 

16. Human Nature

17. Rebellion

18. Brave New Woman

No why would she ever do this some of you are so far gone she would never recut tracks especially trash tracks some mentioned here that would commercially tank and even fans wouldn’t care for 

In this case, it doesn't matter. That's how studio recording works. They layer multiple voices to create a richer sound.

For example I saw a making of video of Shania Twain's comeback album. Her sister was in the studio with her and they asked her sister to sing background. Her sister isn't even a singer and they said it didn't matter. They also had the male engineer guy sing background too. Then they layered it together.

The only time it's a negative thing imo is when they use another singer and try to pass it off as the original artist. Like that last Michael Jackson album that his family denounced and said it wasn't Michael's voice. 

With Britney there seem to be different cases. For Circus I believe it's standard studio work to enhance the final product. For other songs maybe they needed to polish a demo version and try to finish it without Britney for whatever reason. We will never really know. I don't think Britney's upcoming book will discuss topics like this.

I got a sense that Britney was aware of the low quality of the BJ album and wanted more involvement with Glory after that.

I hate this, her team or producers need to stop acting like Britney needs all these backing vocalists. Maybe the final result won't be what the GP would expect to hear from her, but whenever she has verses all on her own her voice is CAPTIVATING. Sometimes I'm in shock when I discover yet another song of hers with lead vocals from another artist, but then I hear her own lead vocals and my soul comes back to my body because right then and there I fall in love with her again, I just love her voice so much! She sounds beautiful, and she's so unique. In B10 she N-E-E-D-S to be fully aware of everything that has been going on with the vocal production on her songs, and accept whatever she's able to work with individually, and exploit that. She herself is more than enough, there's a reason she got so far in the game.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block