What was the general public, fans, media's reaction to Gimme More?

I was obsessed with it when it came out, but i felt like its a new Britney and i kinda missed Primeney. I remember a lot of people abandoned her after this came out, it was strange because a lot of other people came in. I think most of the GP knows the song as one of her iconic songs. Its still played in nightclub and everybody goes wack and naughty for it. 

• Like 6

I remember just about everyone liking the song. People were talking about It’s Britney Bit ch a lot too, it was shocking, then everyone started doing it. Once the VMA performance happened, the momentum took a turn, but people were still excited about Britney. The song is a modern classic, and everyone knows the signature line.. Bop.  :riri_rihanna_take_bow_wink_flirt_hand_white:   :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

• Like 6

Oh man, it was like Baby One More Time again. The second coming of the Holy Spearit. It really was huge. She wasn't doing any promo (but the VMAs and that awkward Ryan Seacrest phone interview) and it shot to #3 on the BBH100 and it could've been #1 if radio stations hadn't decided to boycott her. I remember the song being everywhere in 2007.

However there clearly was a huge demographic shift. It felt like the point her fan base morphed from the BOMT days and solidified into what it is today.

The video was poorly received though. Almost the same situation as Make Me.

• Love 4
  • Like 1

This was when the public found reasons to hate her but the song genuinely slapped from the get go everyone was floored I remember my friends who casually joked about her troubles even loved it it was a time to be alive as a fan a real fan not a fan who closed their fansite even after they got more than everyone else but we’re not naming names :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

• Haha 2
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods

The song that made me a fan/stan! :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad: It was the summer before 8th grade, and I remember hearing the 15-30 second preview of the song on iTunes when songs were .99¢. :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad: This song and Blackout were the first ever song/album I bought for myself. The meaning this song has to me goes beyond comprehension! :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad: It literally brought the gay in me to the forefront. Thank you Brinny :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:
Idk how the GP received it, though. :idkha_mariah_i_dont_know_her_pink_idk_shake_no:

• Like 1

The release of Gimme More and subsequently, Blackout was genuinely confusing.  

I was aware she was unrepresented, not willing/able to do promo.  The ENTIRE video shoot, edit and release was a daily saga of dogs, babies, bad (really bad) ******** "jokes" and intense scrutiny.  Perez Hilton was still a turd and was relentless, too.  

If we, slightly older, fans are being honest, it was actually scary.  The music was good, but it was so deeply overshadowed by the laser focus of the paparazzi and media.  I actually thought she was going to die.  

When it was announced she was doing the VMAs with Gimme More and Cris Angel, only to have that removed, underwhelming rehearsals, overexposure... It was really, just, scary.  It didn't make sense at all.  And no one was stepping forward to clarify anything.  (I'm not saying anyone owed anyone anything, I'm just saying, the GP, fans and whomever was on "Team Britney" was the exact same level of train wreck spectator you've heard of from that time.)

It was speculated she would NEVER perform Gimme More live, ever again.  I remember nodding my head to that and thinking, "Well, that makes sense." Because everything was so incredibly mean spirited towards her.  That, today, Blackout is viewed as her "best work" makes me really heartsick.  It's really good, don't get me wrong, but it will always be juxtaposed up against how she was villianized and nearly driven insane by outside forces hellbent on doing her harm.

Looking back, it was heartbreakingly sad.

• Love 6
  • Like 1

In my country, mexico, there was a show on mtv where you could send messages about the music videos they aired. Gimme more was premiered on mtv and I can remember 3 types of gp:

1) haters: their thoughts were basically 'oh after all gone through shes still trying it, shes insane, this isnt 2005 anymore' (ironically the time gap from 05-07 was nothing) 

2) neutral people: the song is catchy but shes Crazy, she doesnt look like the old cute britney 

3) fans: :werk_britney_bw_black_white_dance_sexy_flirt_my_prerogative:

This is what i feel where only the initial perception towards new Britney music at the time because it had been quite long since the ITZ era hype, and from 05 to 07 everything the GP heard about her was tabloids so I kinda understand their feeling but I also feel like that feeling faded away as GM and Pice of Me became hits, it was like "ok we hate you but this sounds great" then Circus came out and the hitmaker was (supposedly) 100% back and everyone loved her again :awyeah_britney_yes_yas:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block