Will Smith smacks Chris Rock for joking about his wife Jada, Update: Will apologizes, banned from Oscars for 10 years

Chris Rock was undoubtedly a bully with his horrible joke. I know from experience how much bullying can hide behind "humour". Hearing the words "it's just a joke" when someone has made a comment about your appearance that crushes your soul. Remember all the Britney "jokes" back in 2008 and the collateral damage for her that endures to this day.  

But you have to rise above it and cannot go around hitting every cretin in the world that indulges in this type of bullying comedy. There is never any excuse for violence and Will Smith should be grateful he did not end up sat in police cell. There are much better ways to put the likes of Chris Rock in his place.  

To summarize both men are morons and need to grow up. They are both middle aged for heavens sake. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, nwonder said:

Both are in the wrong here.

The joke was tasteless, and Chris should know better than to make fun of a black woman’s hair. 

Will had every right to defend his wife but violence is never it. He could of walked up and schooled him with his words.

Yes, this, totally agree. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, ***yLove said:

No, the comparison stands. The topic is humor and violence. It shouldn't matter if the joke is about one's religion, one's wife, or one's disease - violence is never the answer. Here, you have every right to say whatever you want, and there may be social consequences, but never government consequences, and certainly never a violent consequence. Cancel culture is absolutely not a form of violence, don't make such a silly comparison. 

Correct, the topic is humor and violence. What you gave as an example is about politics and religion, nothing to do with humor and violence. You are doing a very US thing by simplifying a topic to fit your narrative. If I were you tho I would not be surprised at all by this incident because there are a lot of fights happening in such "high class" events in US (cardi b x nicki, mgk and that one boxer guy).

Back to topic. I have seen the dumbest fights on Tv yet not seen a fight over a joke on TV in such a huge platform in my Middle Eastern country but here we see the Oscars. Now if we can take this 1 incident to the whole US, then we could say this is a very US thing.

What you should be doing is to accept the fact that your comment has no foundation to it to back it up, was completely random and out of place and fighting over a joke is literally the most basic problem you can find in ANY country :begone_tiffany_miss_ny_new_york_ms_door_there_leave_bye_goodbye:

Can a joke not be used when making references to politics and religion? Of course. Stop being obtuse. The Charlie Hebdo case is about a French newspaper that repeatedly made jokes about the Islamic religion, which caused Islamic extremist terrorists to shoot them up. Hence the topic, humor and violence. 

Will Smith apparently resorted to violence, and you have people defending him with this notion that "some jokes are off limits and violence is warranted." I could care less what you've see on TV. I'm talking about real life, in-the-news events. There are people in the Islamic community who believe jokes about their religion is off limits and violence is warranted. Both situations follow the actual topic of humor and violence. I'm a firm believer that NO topic is off limits when it comes to comedy and free speech. 

ANGER over a joke is a common reaction you can find in any country, but making a joke about a topic that can lead to you being physically assaulted or even killed, well that's a trope I can think of only happening regularly in a few places throughout the world, the Middle East being a major one.  

55 minutes ago, ***yLove said:

Can a joke not be used when making references to politics and religion? Of course. Stop being obtuse. The Charlie Hebdo case is about a French newspaper that repeatedly made jokes about the Islamic religion, which caused Islamic extremist terrorists to shoot them up. Hence the topic, humor and violence. 

Will Smith apparently resorted to violence, and you have people defending him with this notion that "some jokes are off limits and violence is warranted." I could care less what you've see on TV. I'm talking about real life, in-the-news events. There are people in the Islamic community who believe jokes about their religion is off limits and violence is warranted. Both situations follow the actual topic of humor and violence. I'm a firm believer that NO topic is off limits when it comes to comedy and free speech. 

ANGER over a joke is a common reaction you can find in any country, but making a joke about a topic that can lead to you being physically assaulted or even killed, well that's a trope I can think of only happening regularly in a few places throughout the world, the Middle East being a major one.  

Again simplyfing things into basic categories to fit your narrative because why not. :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

Not surprising to hear since US is known for stereotyping the rest of the world in such ways. Every religious group has its oBtUsE :sponge_spongebob_sarcastic_meme_sarcasm: people. So for you Middle East equals to Islamic extremist terrorists since you feel very comfortable calling the whole region out for the actions of a group which is very small in numbers compared to whole Middle East population. Thus making "getting violent over a joke" a Middle East thing. Thanks for giving me another personality trait I didn't know me or anyone around me had. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud: 

Just to make it clear,  I hope you do know Middle East is not a country but a region. I know some of you guys suck at geography and wouldnt be able to find your own place in a world map if your lives depended on it so maybe your 1 dimensional view of the Middle East comes from you thinking it's a country. :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare:

Btw you are more than welcome to search "killed over a joke" on Google and literally the first 3 news that come up are from US. :shadelaugh_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

5 hours ago, Blackout2007 said:

alopecia sucks but it’s not that serious. Saying she would star in GI Jane 2 isn’t even offensive.

this is up to Jada to decide whether her disease is serious or whether that joke was offensive. I do believe that the whole thing was staged, but she clearly looked uncomfortable wit the joke. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, maki93 said:

this is up to Jada to decide whether her disease is serious or whether that joke was offensive. I do believe that the whole thing was staged, but she clearly looked uncomfortable wit the joke. 

IMO it isnt serious at all. Most adults deal with hair loss eventually. She is healthy and lives an extremely privileged life. No way she hasn’t used her platform to mock others. That red table talk show is full of vitriol. The joke wasn’t even that harsh. He could have joked about how unfortunate her plastic surgery is but he didn’t.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, wixbix said:

Again simplyfing things into basic categories to fit your narrative because why not. :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

Not surprising to hear since US is known for stereotyping the rest of the world in such ways. Every religious group has its oBtUsE :sponge_spongebob_sarcastic_meme_sarcasm: people. So for you Middle East equals to Islamic extremist terrorists since you feel very comfortable calling the whole region out for the actions of a group which is very small in numbers compared to whole Middle East population. Thus making "getting violent over a joke" a Middle East thing. Thanks for giving me another personality trait I didn't know me or anyone around me had. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud: 

Just to make it clear,  I hope you do know Middle East is not a country but a region. I know some of you guys suck at geography and wouldnt be able to find your own place in a world map if your lives depended on it so maybe your 1 dimensional view of the Middle East comes from you thinking it's a country. :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare:

Btw you are more than welcome to search "killed over a joke" on Google and literally the first 3 news that come up are from US. :shadelaugh_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

It's not my fault the topic fits both situations. I'm sorry if I offended you, but I'm not going to pretend Islamic countries are safe havens for free speech. No, I don't believe the Middle East is synonymous with extremist terrorists, and yes, I know the Middle East is a region and not an individual country (now who is stereotyping? lol). 

You can find instances of people being killed in the US over a joke, but it's not accepted by society, not even by a small percentage.  Those are just instances of psychotic people. But now take Sharia Law, it's components, and the percentage of Muslims per country who would be in favor of their government being run by Sharia Law and you'll find large percentages of the population who find killing gay people, honor killings, death to apostates, and death to those who make drawings of the Prophet Muhammad acceptable. And that's the last thing I'll say on the matter because our conversation is now deviating from the actual incident. 

23 minutes ago, ***yLove said:

Sincere or is he just afraid they're going to take away his award? 

Why would they take away his award? It’s an award for acting talent. Which is proved he was the best at this year. Not an award for being nice or polite. 

In light of that. I believe it was very childish and immature of him to do what he did. However, if you’ve had any semblance of a childhood you would know the law and what’s right or wrong doesn’t matter in the real world. 

I got into many fights, got jumped, sucker punched and the law was never apart of any situation. No one cares what’s an “assault” or not, it’s going to happen.

Smith and Rock both grew up in the real world and that’s how situations are dealt with. 

But I do feel like it was kind of staged.. maybe not the actual slap but the joke/conflict situation. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ***yLove said:

Pls don't generalize, and you're wrong. 

17 minutes ago, A.a.A said:

Why would they take away his award? It’s an award for acting talent. Which is proved he was the best at this year. Not an award for being nice or polite. 

In light of that. I believe it was very childish and immature of him to do what he did. However, if you’ve had any semblance of a childhood you would know the law and what’s right or wrong doesn’t matter in the real world. 

I got into many fights, got jumped, sucker punched and the law was never apart of any situation. No one cares what’s an “assault” or not, it’s going to happen.

Smith and Rock both grew up in the real world and that’s how situations are dealt with. 

But I do feel like it was kind of staged.. maybe not the actual slap but the joke/conflict situation. 

"The Academy’s standards of conduct state that the organization can take disciplinary actions including revoking awards. The Academy can take less drastic measures, too, including private or public reprimand, and temporary or permanent loss of eligibility for future Oscars."

8 hours ago, ***yLove said:

You never knew that making a joke about the Prophet Muhammad is likely to cause a violent reaction? Well, now you know.

I recommend you read about the French newspaper, Charlie Hebdo.

Tunnel visioned, sterotypical and an irrelevant example. Most Middle Easterners are understanding, educated and diplomatic. Hate and violence is universal, sadly. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block