Will Smith smacks Chris Rock for joking about his wife Jada, Update: Will apologizes, banned from Oscars for 10 years

13 minutes ago, ***yLove said:

Solid rebuttal. It's not like the Middle East is known for its poorly protected human rights or anything. 

But why zero in on the Middle East when discussing the Will Smith incident. This type of incident would not be acceptable anywhere in the world. 

17 minutes ago, Koda100 said:

But why zero in on the Middle East when discussing the Will Smith incident. This type of incident would not be acceptable anywhere in the world. 

Because sadly, when I think of a culture/society that would likely resort to violence over a joke, I think of there. Sorry for my ignorance. 

Just now, ***yLove said:

Because sadly, when I think of a culture/society that would likely resort to violence over a joke, I think of there. Sorry for my ignorance. 

I do not think that you are ignorant at all, but your comment was very macro for what was being discussed. As someone who is Christian, and lived in the Middle East, and continues to visit friends and family in the various countries of the region, I can attest to the general safety that you would feel if you ever visit. Like I said, the majority of the people there are highly civilized, loving and inviting, and share your values and desire for the good life- and have a sense of humor too! Do not let the loud extremist minority give you the wrong impression.

The joke wasn't funny and I get that it angered him and his wife but physical violence is never the solution :decisions_britney_thinking_confused_focusing_unsure_xfactor_bw_black_white: Calling him out on stage would've given him more power than doing this.

That being said, people are really overreacting calling this "the lowest moment" of the Oscars when the Oscars have a very lengthy resumé of racism and discrimination 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ***yLove said:

You can find instances of people being killed in the US over a joke, but it's not accepted by society, not even by a small percentage.  Those are just instances of psychotic people.

Exactly, so your first comment is very unnecessary.

You have been off topic during this whole discussion not one thing you say is related to the topic of humor and violence but rather political and religious problems of the Middle East.

Back to topic, last time I checked half of every comment section (even here on exhale) agrees with what Will did. Not because it's a US or Middle East stereotypical behaviour but a common human problem. I'm pretty sure you would get into fights if you go make jokes in certain neighborhoods in your own country as well.

15 hours ago, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

Is it really that serious though? She obviously looks great without hair. 95% of the other woman in the audience were wearing wigs or hair extensions. Any male actor over 35 has had transplants and/or is on a powerful daily dose of finasteride and minoxidil. It's not really a serious or uncommon diagnosis.

Who are we or you to decide if it is a serious situation for her ?

People mocking Britney could have said "oh but she shaved her head herself, it's not that serious ?"

If you are going to make a personal joke about someone's illness or bad situation on a very public world stage...have the simple courtesy to ask the person first if they mind you making that joke. It's not that hard.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, A.a.A said:

Why would they take away his award? It’s an award for acting talent. Which is proved he was the best at this year. Not an award for being nice or polite. 

In light of that. I believe it was very childish and immature of him to do what he did. However, if you’ve had any semblance of a childhood you would know the law and what’s right or wrong doesn’t matter in the real world. 

I got into many fights, got jumped, sucker punched and the law was never apart of any situation. No one cares what’s an “assault” or not, it’s going to happen.

Smith and Rock both grew up in the real world and that’s how situations are dealt with. 

But I do feel like it was kind of staged.. maybe not the actual slap but the joke/conflict situation. 

Hmm I’m not too sure if it was staged. I do agree the award was based on his acting alone. But people are calling for him to be stripped of his award because of this incident.

On 3/28/2022 at 5:46 AM, Broccoli Spears said:

I don’t condone violence but good on Will for defending his partner.

Comedians think they are untouchable. It is not acceptable to make jokes at the expense of someone’s appearance - even more so when that person has openly talked about their struggles with hair loss.

You don't condone violence but good on will for applying violence? Hypocrite.

He could have use his word to defend his wife. He decided to go physical. He was completely wrong and there is NO excuse for what he did.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, ***yLove said:

"The Academy’s standards of conduct state that the organization can take disciplinary actions including revoking awards. The Academy can take less drastic measures, too, including private or public reprimand, and temporary or permanent loss of eligibility for future Oscars."

This still has nothing to do with him winning an acting award. The Oscar has nothing to do with the incident. And let’s be honest here, he slapped someone... big whoop. This whole thing is being blown out of proportion by the very woke left. People fight in the real world, people get slapped all the time.

12 hours ago, everybodygoesdown said:

Who are we or you to decide if it is a serious situation for her ?

People mocking Britney could have said "oh but she shaved her head herself, it's not that serious ?"

If you are going to make a personal joke about someone's illness or bad situation on a very public world stage...have the simple courtesy to ask the person first if they mind you making that joke. It's not that hard.

Who am I? A person with a rational brain and an opinion that matters. People have and do make fun of Britney in ways that cross the line, and I have choice words for these people, but in no way would their distatastful language justify me physically assualting them. As serious as alopecia may be for Jada, it's not within the realm of seriousness to warrant a physical violence. That's completely out of line. The only valid justifications would need to be orders of magnitude more serious than the most devastating case of alopecia. Had Chris Rock pushed Jada, or pinched her bald head, now we're talking about a commiserate response from Will, but that's far from what happened.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 1:15 PM, A.a.A said:

This still has nothing to do with him winning an acting award. The Oscar has nothing to do with the incident. And let’s be honest here, he slapped someone... big whoop. This whole thing is being blown out of proportion by the very woke left. People fight in the real world, people get slapped all the time.

Look at how tough you are! I guarantee if someone “woke left” slapped you, you’d be the biggest victim. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block